What is the proper way to measure bar rise?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2020 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2020 1:49 PM

What is the "real" way to measure bar rise? I've looked into this over the last few weeks and keep finding a different answer. Brant Moore showed you measure from the very bottom of the bar to the very top of the end of the bar if you drew a straight line.

I just watched a youtube vid where some kid showed the top of the bottom tube to the bottom of the crossbar. LOL. That seems the least likely to me.

On BMXMuseum one guy showed the top of the bottom tube to the top of the handle as if you drew a horizontal line like Brant Moore said. It's just he differed with where you start at the bottom.

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=1581460

This is where the internet is a pain. Too much info. Although admittedly it's like that when you just ask people. It's hard to know who is correct. We need an official source on this matter. LOL. Or I should say I do. Most of you probably already know......

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

1/12/2020 2:07 PM

This one seems the most viable to me. Middle of the bottom bar to the straight line across the top of the ends of the bar. Since all the measurements on a bike are from the center of the tube. Like when measuring the top tube you go from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube... Etc. Center of the bottom bracket to the center of the axle for your chainstays... etc.

https://livehealthy.chron.com/measure-bmx-handlebars-2708.html

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

1/12/2020 3:13 PM

Photo
|

1/13/2020 7:57 AM

Ah, so you're saying middle to middle. That does seem right cuz like I said, all the other dimensions are measured that way.

Can I get a confirmation from another person? Maybe I should call a manufacture......

|

1/13/2020 8:18 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Ah, so you're saying middle to middle. That does seem right cuz like I said, all the other dimensions are measured that way.

Can I get a confirmation from another person? Maybe I should call a manufacture......

I believe the above post is accurate. middle to middle is how i have always seen.

|

1/13/2020 8:25 AM

Spongeworthy wrote: Photo

That's what I've come to understand myself^

|

1/13/2020 8:39 AM

How do all the other guys get it so wrong? LOL.

|

1/13/2020 8:40 AM

I wouldn't trust a manufacturer to know.... lol.

My years of measuring bar height has shown me that there doesn't seem to be a standard.

BUT, I would go with the diagram posted above...

|

1/13/2020 8:45 AM

That diagram makes the most sense, especially since upsweep varies widely.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/13/2020 8:50 AM

the easiest way is to put your bars upside down on a flat surfave and measure up to the middle of the bar that clamps to your stem.

|

fack off

1/13/2020 1:35 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I forgot to reference the image. It’s from Werhepeoples’ website, those are the Mad Max bars. WTP provide diagrams for the geometry of their frames and bars. It’s helpful if your new to this kind of stuff. Image below is their Revolver frame.

Photo

|

1/14/2020 9:01 AM

Thanks for the reference and frame geometry pic. If I would've called WTP I would've probably got a proper answer. LOL.

I still don't get why they call it "Stand over height" I would think seat tube height is more appropriate. how tall you stand over it is sort of.... well not necessarily misleading but..... The size of the cranks would sort of affect actual stand over height while you're pedaling. I guess not when they are parallel to the ground though.

Actually, now that I'm talking about it, the term makes more sense. LOL.

|

1/14/2020 9:58 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Thanks for the reference and frame geometry pic. If I would've called WTP I would've probably got a proper answer. LOL.

I still don't get why they call it "Stand over height" I would think seat tube height is more appropriate. how tall you stand over it is sort of.... well not necessarily misleading but..... The size of the cranks would sort of affect actual stand over height while you're pedaling. I guess not when they are parallel to the ground though.

Actually, now that I'm talking about it, the term makes more sense. LOL.

Yeah, the name for the physical tube is the seat tube, the term of the measurement is the standover.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn