What is this BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2019 2:01 AM

Hi all. I’ve recently found this old school BMX, which I don’t think has been touched in 30-40 years. Can anyone tell me a bit more about it please?

|

8/1/2019 4:04 AM

Honestly your best bet would be posting on www.bmxmuseum.com there are a ton of people in the forums from that area. This site is a lot more "new" bmx.

Reminds me of a late 70's Race Inc, but doesn't have the BB gusset...also looks like a late 70's Redline on the front half...but is a looptail.

Interesting.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/1/2019 8:12 AM

By the looks of it (tube size, welds, etc...) I'd say it is not a Race Inc as most of those were aluminum as I remember. In the later 80's, they were damn near a PK Ripper in design. I'd say this bike is a cheap department store bike. Mild Steel, machine welded. Probably not worth much, if anything. However, the stem looks like an old Redline stem. If that is the case, the bars could be as well. IF that is the case, those were added later (assuming I am correct on the frame) and those two items would probably be worth more than the rest of the bike.

|

8/1/2019 8:35 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

By the looks of it (tube size, welds, etc...) I'd say it is not a Race Inc as most of those were aluminum as I remember. In the later 80's, they were damn near a PK Ripper in design. I'd say this bike is a cheap department store bike. Mild Steel, machine welded. Probably not worth much, if anything. However, the stem looks like an old Redline stem. If that is the case, the bars could be as well. IF that is the case, those were added later (assuming I am correct on the frame) and those two items would probably be worth more than the rest of the bike.

It is worth noting the gusset between TT and DT is exactly the same as some Redline MX IIs of the late 70s-but those did not have the looptail design.

And you are right about Race Inc, those I have seen were alloy-but had the same DT/BB connection (just with a gusset) and I recall a looptail, just not the same HT/DT gusset.

I perused the BMX Museum page and did not find a spot on match among the brands I know of from that era, BUT there are a TON of smaller brands too.

My best guess would be late 70's based on the design.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/1/2019 9:28 AM

Thanks guy’s for your info and help, not that I’ve got a clue what you’re talking about 🤣. I will just add that on the handlebar, it says Suntour, if that’s any help.

|

8/1/2019 11:35 AM

Curious BMX wrote:

Thanks guy’s for your info and help, not that I’ve got a clue what you’re talking about 🤣. I will just add that on the handlebar, it says Suntour, if that’s any help.

Back in the day, Suntour and Redline shared a lot of parts. I'm guessing by "handlebar" you are probably referring to the stem (the gold piece holding the handlebars). Either way, the bars and stem (if Redline or Suntour) are worth a little bit to the right person... usually a collector of old school bikes (most of the dudes on BMXMuseum.com). Those parts will be of equal quality but the Redline name will command more money.

|

8/1/2019 12:30 PM

Raleigh Rampar R 10

|

8/1/2019 1:05 PM

take it off some sweet jumps

|

fack off

8/1/2019 1:16 PM

bloghogs wrote:

Raleigh Rampar R 10

Well done sir!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura