What is this trick called

Related:
Create New Tag

5/10/2018 12:22 AM

Hey just a wondering if anyone knows what this trick is called

It’s like a backlash but instead of doing just a 180, u do a 540 then do a backlash

|

5/10/2018 12:50 AM

A 540 backlash?

|

5/10/2018 1:21 AM

I had to look up what a backlash even was, it's pretty much how people have done 360 tailtaps for years :E

If a backlash is a 360 tailtap letting the wheel roll, then the extra 360 into one would be like a 360 to backlash/3 tap or a 720 tap (Dennis McCoy used to do 720 tailtaps just like that)

|

5/10/2018 1:51 AM

jawn wrote:

I had to look up what a backlash even was, it's pretty much how people have done 360 tailtaps for years :E

If a backlash is a ...more

A backlash is a 180 to quick backwards manual to half cab done quickly. So it's not really a tyre tap. I think the op means a 540 hop, quick backwards manual half cab (bearing in mind a half cab is a fakie 180 hop, not a pivot).

|

5/10/2018 2:30 AM

Like I said it's pretty much how a lot of people have done 360 taps for years, although here making the backward part more pronounced

I got what he meant, 540 into it rather than 180, again just like 7 taps of the past

|

5/10/2018 10:58 AM

So an under-rotated 720?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/10/2018 2:22 PM

readybmxer wrote:

So an under-rotated 720?

Nah, more like a 540 to fakie manny to halfcab. It's definitely similar though.

A post shared by Aaron Ross (@theaaronross) on

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/10/2018 4:01 PM

That's so like a 7 tap or under rotated 7 it's not funny, all that angular momentum doesn't disappear completely

|

5/10/2018 11:24 PM

jawn wrote:

That's so like a 7 tap or under rotated 7 it's not funny, all that angular momentum doesn't disappear completely

Does that mean a 720 is an under rotated 900?
Pretty sure Aaron ross knows how to do 540 hops......
Although Aaron ross didn't intend to do it, I'm pretty sure that's what the op is referring to. It's a 540 backlash. Saying it isn't is like saying a backlash doesn't exist and it's just an under rotated 360. The "tap" is intentional, unlike under rotated spins. Even 360 taps are different as you'd usually rely on a brake or pedal pressure to keep the front up, and pivot on the back wheel. The idea of a backlash is to spin 180, land in fakie manual, to half cab, not pivot, hence it's considered a bit of a freecoaster trick

|

5/10/2018 11:52 PM

If you spin 720 and land back wheel for anothe 180, then yeah

Wouldn't it be a 360 to backlash? Or do people call backlashes 180 to backlash? Which is a fitting name given the turn of the cranks on cassettes

Saying 'it's like' doesn't equate to ' that onther thing doesn't exist, just that it looks like it, particularly the way people have done it over box jumps and other long objects. I have no probllem with there being a distinction. There's usually going to always to be a bit of a pivot, particularly on the ones with more rotation (and thus angular momentum)

|

5/11/2018 2:28 AM

jawn wrote:

If you spin 720 and land back wheel for anothe 180, then yeah

Wouldn't it be a 360 to backlash? Or do people call backlashes ...more

"Wouldn't it be a 360 to backlash?"

Well, no. The 540 is a single, fluid motion straight into the backlash. 360 to backlash would indicate a defined break between the 360 and the final 180, which there isn't. That makes it a 540 to backlash or for short, a 540 backlash.
I guess 180 to backlash would make a bit more sense as it's not the initial spin that defines a backlash; rather, it's the resulting fakie manny and whatever degree of spin in and out of it. If you 5ed both into and out of a backlash, it'd still be a backlash, just with a whole lot more spin.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/11/2018 4:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 4:33 AM

So because of the 180 being included as you recognise, it's a 360 to backlash tongue

540 to backwards wheelie/manual half cab out would make sense, but alas 180 of that spin + backwards wheelie/manual + half cab = backlash, so it's a 360 to backlash

To put it another way, by saying 540 to backlash, you're redefining what backlash means. Alternatively if backlash only means the backwards part or hte backwards part + the half cab out (realise you could backwards manual up a slope and not have to even half cab out), then it would be 540 to backlash (but not 540 backlash as the manual is supposed to be straight not turning), AND 180 to backlash

|

5/11/2018 5:12 AM

jawn wrote:

So because of the 180 being included as you recognise, it's a 360 to backlash tongue

540 to backwards wheelie/manual half cab out ...more

I hadn't thought of that. My previous post was made in work and it's been a very long day so I didn't really have the time or bother to read it back. Anyhow, to the point: If you alley-oop 90 out of a quarter, fakie manny on the deck and 90 back in, it's still considered a backlash. If you full-cab to fakie manny to some degree of cab out, it'd still be considered a backlash. It's not defined by how much you spin in or out of it, just that you spin in and out of it with a fakie manny in between.

I don't believe there's any requirement that the manual is straight; just that it's actually a manual and not a pivot. One of my favourite things to do with backlashes is to do them on a big semi-circular manny pad and try to hold it as close to the curb as I can, the whole way around.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/11/2018 5:28 AM

I speed-read everything and smash a 100wpm response all the time myself as you might notice from the typos so I hear ya

That 90 to backlash to 90 would pretty much settle it

|

5/11/2018 5:41 AM

You can't backlash without landing fakie. So you can't 360 into landing fakie, unless you cab into it, or do it on a bank. Then it would be a cab to backlash or 360 backlash respectively.

Adding 180 at the beginning is pointless, just like people saying full in front of cab to mean cab.

X ups could be considered like barspins, but you wouldn't consider them the same, or even similar, because they're different tricks. Under rotating a 720 is completely different to intentionally doing a 540

|

5/11/2018 5:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 6:00 AM

"You can't backlash without landing fakie. So you can't 360 into landing fakie, unless you cab into it, or do it on a bank. Then it would be a cab to backlash or 360 backlash respectively."

See the bit about the 180 being part of what people called a backlash

"Adding 180 at the beginning is pointless, just like people saying full in front of cab to mean cab"

A cab is a fakie 360 air in skateboarding though, not a fakie 360 ollie. Full is BMX exclusive because fakie 360 airs are rare as shit

"X ups could be considered like barspins, but you wouldn't consider them the same, or even similar, because they're different tricks. Under rotating a 720 is completely different to intentionally doing a 540"

Barspins are indeed not really like X ups, you are intentionally reversing the rotation and not letting go. Bus drivers are getting closer though. Where as doing a 180 (or 540), rolling backward on the rear wheel while turning like 20 degree, and doing the rest of the rotation out is similar to how 3 (and 7) tailtaps are often done. Underrotating a 7 is indeed different to doing a 540 on purpose, nobody said otherwise. It is similar to how 7 taps are often done though, as was my point

|

5/11/2018 6:44 AM

jawn wrote:

"You can't backlash without landing fakie. So you can't 360 into landing fakie, unless you cab into it, or do it on a bank. ...more

A fakie 360 is a fakie 360. Whether there's pop or not. So a fakie 360 on a skateboard with pop on street isn't a cab?

You can't educate pork

|

5/11/2018 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 6:55 AM

jawn wrote:

"You can't backlash without landing fakie. So you can't 360 into landing fakie, unless you cab into it, or do it on a bank. ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

A fakie 360 is a fakie 360. Whether there's pop or not. So a fakie 360 on a skateboard with pop on street isn't a cab?

You ...more

"You can't educate pork" - That's going in my signature! laughing

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/11/2018 7:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 7:25 AM

A banana is also a banana. It's not the Bolivian Navy on maneuvers in the South Pacific

In skateboarding, cab implies backside spinning. A fakie 360 ollie may be considered an ollie cab if done backside, but if it's done frontside it's an ollie frontside cab.This doesn't translate to BMX as goofy spinners may be considered to be doing it frontside due to their stance when they are actually spinning their easier direction, not the harder direction which is a connotation of frontside in skateboarding. Some call ollie cabs ollie full cabs in order to distinguish it from half cabs, but it is redundant and doesn't have connotations of the increased difficulty landing fakie has in BMX (particularly given how extreme steering becomes, and secondly have to manage the cranks if done on cassette), where full is usually used to indicate this increased difficulty

|

5/11/2018 9:35 AM

jawn wrote:

A banana is also a banana. It's not the Bolivian Navy on maneuvers in the South Pacific

In skateboarding, cab implies ...more

OK, next time you see a skateboarder do a cab off a head high ledge over a massive gap, tell him it wasn't a cab, see how far that gets you. No tricks in bmx translate exactly the same as their skating counterpart. Should we stop calling feebles feebles, and smiths smiths because we don't have trucks?

A 540 is a 540, not an under rotated 720. Just as a 540 backlash isn't an under rotated 720. An x up is an x up (or x down depending which way you turn the bars), a barspin is a barspin, and a bus driver is a bus driver. That doesn't change the fact that a cab is a cab, or a 540 backlash is a 540 backlash.

If you don't know the name of a trick, don't criticise the person that tells you, or tell them they're wrong, or deny such a trick even exists.

|

5/11/2018 2:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2018 2:43 PM

"OK, next time you see a skateboarder do a cab off a head high ledge over a massive gap, tell him it wasn't a cab, see how far that gets you. No tricks in bmx translate exactly the same as their skating counterpart. Should we stop calling feebles feebles, and smiths smiths because we don't have trucks?"

A cab would be a cab, why would I say other wise? It just so happens in BMX that full cabs are called full cabs, feels feebles, and smiths smiths. What would be the point of not saying that? You're trying to put words in my mouth but misjudging the intent completely

"A 540 is a 540, not an under rotated 720. Just as a 540 backlash isn't an under rotated 720. An x up is an x up (or x down depending which way you turn the bars), a barspin is a barspin, and a bus driver is a bus driver. That doesn't change the fact that a cab is a cab, or a 540 backlash is a 540 backlash."

Even in bold text you still missed the point that I invoked a simile. I have been riding for 26 years and have seen tricks with other names being done 90-100% the same way and merely voiced that observation. BTW, an x-down can still be called an X-up. Cabs in BMX are always going to be called full cabs, you're not going to be successful changing that

"If you don't know the name of a trick, don't criticise the person that tells you, or tell them they're wrong, or deny such a trick even exists."

I never criticised anyone or tell them they were wrong. The trick was presented as one thing, then a variation came up that didn't fit the naming logic and simply pointed that out. And I explicity said that saying something is like something else does not equate to negating existence.

You're being very silly and emotional about a discussion of semantics. You might have a case if there was some flaming and I had used the words you're trying to put in my mouth (which doesn't work as well on the Internet BTW because the posts are all still here, as opposed to an unrecorded conversation in real life) but there is none

|

5/11/2018 2:41 PM

jawn wrote:

"OK, next time you see a skateboarder do a cab off a head high ledge over a massive gap, tell him it wasn't a cab, see how far ...more

this dude takes criticism so badly

|

Hmmm

5/12/2018 2:51 AM

jawn wrote:

"OK, next time you see a skateboarder do a cab off a head high ledge over a massive gap, tell him it wasn't a cab, see how far ...more

I'm not missing any points here at all. The whole reason for me bringing up x ups and barspins is because you said a 540 backlash is like a 720 tap. But they're very different if the rider is intentionally doing a 540 backlash. And you're saying a full cab in bmx is different from a cab in skateboarding, hence I bought up the names of other skateboard tricks. A cab is a fakie 360. It's that simple. People can call it a full cab, but it's still a fakie 360. You don't say full 360 when someone does it going forwards, do you?

You're typing a lot without saying anything. It's just a wall of text with no meaning. I started riding in 94, but that obviously means you know more than me because you've been riding a year or 2 longer? Good logic.

Dumb as rocks.

|

5/12/2018 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2018 6:55 AM

I said a 640 bblash is like how 7 taps have been done in the past, in particular to get across a distance or for the deliberate style of having the backwheel roll backwards

I said a cab in skateboarding has the connotation of being a backside spin. This is pretty much what a full cab is in BMX, unless you do it opposite, which would be like a frontside cab in skateboarding. I never said a full cab wasn't a fakie 360

Being that nobody says half 360, there's no need to say full 360

Likewise I never said that riding for 2 years longer grants me any special authority. Again, that is putting words in my mouth. The relevance of it is that I've seen a LOT of riding and tricks being done with varying styles and techniques. You would have too

Ascribing meaning not explicity indicated in the text is a poor substitute for an actual argument, as is flaming, and isn't negating anything I've said at all. It only comes across as desperate

|

5/12/2018 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2018 8:18 AM

Edman123 wrote:

this dude takes criticism so badly

Yeah I know. Jawn is petty fucking annoying how he can't just chill the fuck out. Like seriously, it's just annoying....

Like dude, its a fucking BMX trick, go ride your damn bike and do whatever trick you want, just do a trick, and have fun riding your bike, sheesh...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/12/2018 8:43 AM

jawn wrote:

I said a 640 bblash is like how 7 taps have been done in the past, in particular to get across a distance or for the ...more

You're still not really saying anything. The op asked what the trick would be called. I gave the answer, and you've managed to drag this out this far?
And I'm desperate? Considering I haven't actually said anything that's incorrect throughout all of this, I can't really see why I'd be desperate........

|

5/12/2018 8:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're still not really saying anything. The op asked what the trick would be called. I gave the answer, and you've managed to ...more

Lol yeah, clearly this jawn dude is a clown and just making a fool of himself lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/12/2018 5:27 PM

You're desperate because you have to contoct logic I'm not actually using and stoop to flaming (a desperate substitute for arguing the facts) in an innocent discussion. Look at p1p -.he understood it for what it was.

You say I've dragged it out this far, but you have left questions and speculative statements for me to answer ;P

|

5/12/2018 11:17 PM

jawn wrote:

You're desperate because you have to contoct logic I'm not actually using and stoop to flaming (a desperate substitute for ...more

Rhetorical questions intended for you to rethink what you've said. The only thing I'd be desperate for is for you to understand that the names of tricks aren't determined by you. But, I don't care enough to be desperate.

|

5/13/2018 12:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 12:59 AM

Don't pretend it was rhetorical, it was questioning incorrectly assumed logic like saying I think trick names are determined by me (thanks for furnishing us with a further example)

|