What mods do you do?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2020 1:49 PM

I’m super bored. Thinking of things to talk about.

What mods do you make to your bike to suit how you ride or certain tricks easier?

For me I don’t run the BB spacer and run a rubber washer in between the Bb and come washer so my cranks literally don’t move 1/8th when I spin them.

Grip tape on crank arms because I’m not having my feet slip on a whip over a hip or a box.

I also prefer a shorter toptube compared to my height.

|

4/4/2020 1:59 PM

I sand all the sharp parts of my brake lever smooth. Still end up with a busted thumb but it helps.

Cut the flanges off my grips, usually.

Mostly I modify my parts everytime I ride by denting and removing materials during grinds...lol

|

4/4/2020 2:40 PM

Search the forum, this question usually just turns into a flame fest. I guess I have a few, but it's all minor stuff.

I run a London mod double lower cable with a shop-built dual cable retainer at the front removable cable spot. I was gonna grab some aluminum and make a better one this spring, but haven't had any "essential" reasons to go to the hardware store yet.

Upper double gyro cable broke at Christmas time, I made a custom double knarp to fix it.

My front brake cable rubbed on the break arm, so I Dremmel'ed it out to get a smoother pull, I guess that counts?

I bought a tripod seat on sale, and it sits at the worst angle ever. I've ground down the front flange of the tripod to make it less bad.

My front fork is zero offset, has brake mounts, and was advertised as "for larger tires," but apparently that's only for brakeless riders. Anything larger than 1.75" rubs the brake arm. I drilled and tapped a hole in my front pegs to set a detent that sits against the dropout to hold the axle lower and clear the brake arms. Not ideal, but it works for flatland riding. I really need to build a second bike for street riding.

The paint on my fork flaked off under the stem, so no matter how much I tightened it, it only pinched the sides and still rocked back and forth to pry loose. I cut an aluminum can to shim it at the front and it stays put now.

My last one is just an idea so far, but I have so many old bluetooth headphone and speaker pieces around that I've been looking for a speaker that would fit in a hollow fork bolt...

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

4/4/2020 2:44 PM

MJbmx wrote:

Search the forum, this question usually just turns into a flame fest. I guess I have a few, but it's all minor stuff.

I run a London mod double lower cable with a shop-built dual cable retainer at the front removable cable spot. I was gonna grab some aluminum and make a better one this spring, but haven't had any "essential" reasons to go to the hardware store yet.

Upper double gyro cable broke at Christmas time, I made a custom double knarp to fix it.

My front brake cable rubbed on the break arm, so I Dremmel'ed it out to get a smoother pull, I guess that counts?

I bought a tripod seat on sale, and it sits at the worst angle ever. I've ground down the front flange of the tripod to make it less bad.

My front fork is zero offset, has brake mounts, and was advertised as "for larger tires," but apparently that's only for brakeless riders. Anything larger than 1.75" rubs the brake arm. I drilled and tapped a hole in my front pegs to set a detent that sits against the dropout to hold the axle lower and clear the brake arms. Not ideal, but it works for flatland riding. I really need to build a second bike for street riding.

The paint on my fork flaked off under the stem, so no matter how much I tightened it, it only pinched the sides and still rocked back and forth to pry loose. I cut an aluminum can to shim it at the front and it stays put now.

My last one is just an idea so far, but I have so many old bluetooth headphone and speaker pieces around that I've been looking for a speaker that would fit in a hollow fork bolt...

They can flame me. I don’t really care at least I won’t be bored reading them ha. Sitting at home is super boring.

|

4/4/2020 2:54 PM

I run air in my tires, it helps rolling

|

4/4/2020 3:25 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I sand all the sharp parts of my brake lever smooth. Still end up with a busted thumb but it helps.

Mostly I modify my parts everytime I ride by denting and removing materials during grinds...lol

If you’re busting up you’re thumb on the brakes, then cutting off the flanges is counter productive. That’s one of the main reasons I run flanged grips.

|

4/4/2020 3:27 PM

Francky wrote:

That’s ridiculous

|

4/4/2020 3:27 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Have you rode with gloves yet?

|

4/4/2020 3:45 PM

I don't do much really. I cut my bars to 27" and I also paint one side of my right pedal so I know which side of it still has pins. That's about it.

|

4/4/2020 3:47 PM

Francky wrote:

I don't like running any air in my tires. It really helps with all those big drops and you don't have to worry about ever getting flats.

|

4/4/2020 4:04 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

If you’re busting up you’re thumb on the brakes, then cutting off the flanges is counter productive. That’s one of the main reasons I run flanged grips.

If you look at my newest setup, you will see I kept my flange. Thats why I said usually wink

|

4/4/2020 4:06 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mulletsnax wrote:

Have you rode with gloves yet?

I mostly ride with them, I use the evs gloves.

|

4/4/2020 4:08 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you look at my newest setup, you will see I kept my flange. Thats why I said usually wink

Ahh, I see!

|

4/4/2020 4:13 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Ahh, I see!

Ya, my right thumb is actually healed! It had been constantly busted for like 2 years before that. Lol

I just accepted it until one day I was like...maybe I should just leave the damn flange. Change can be a good thing.

|

4/4/2020 4:29 PM

I too leave out the BB spacer and run my beloved super short 19.69" TT.

I hammer a bar end in my forks since I love footjam whips and my tires are thin. Cut down my 1-piece Haro seat so there's like 1 inch of tube, run one pin in my chain that's slightly longer than the rest so I take the same link out every time I need to work on things. I keep a small amount of grase along the inside of my steer tube in case I take it apart to fit it in a car or something and need some.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/4/2020 4:43 PM

I have a straight cable but my frame has gyro tabs so I have a little cable guide that screws on and prevents the cable from slapping my tt/ht. I also engrave some stuff but that's about it.

|

I like riding my bike.

4/4/2020 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 6:26 PM

Cut bars to 28”. Hit the frame with a rattle can everyone and then. That’s it.

|

4/4/2020 7:52 PM

extra long pins in my pedals alloy bolts for my rear axle knurling added to my drive side hubguard paint on my chain tensioner bolts so I always put my wheel in the same place when changing a flat a note inside my seatpost in case my bike is stolen.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

4/5/2020 4:52 AM

Like ten years ago I tied a shoelace around each of my hubs so it looked like a bracelet cause I was bored. Then some kids at the park asked what it was so I told them it was a hub cleaner cause it would sit and clean my hubs as I rode. They believed me. Created a trend for about a summer. Pretty stoked about that.

|

4/5/2020 7:18 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

Like ten years ago I tied a shoelace around each of my hubs so it looked like a bracelet cause I was bored. Then some kids at the park asked what it was so I told them it was a hub cleaner cause it would sit and clean my hubs as I rode. They believed me. Created a trend for about a summer. Pretty stoked about that.

I did this like 10 years ago also ha. I believed it cleaned my hubs

|

4/5/2020 11:43 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

Mulletsnax wrote:

I did this like 10 years ago also ha. I believed it cleaned my hubs

This is actually a thing on older unsealed bikes, a twist tie was often used.. They also made bands with a reflector that always hangs down..

Photo

This is my bike mod, stretched frame, custom seat post, kinda everything modded lol, it's a work in progress..

Photo

Photo

|

4/5/2020 12:28 PM

That’s dope, didn’t expect to see that on vital haha. You should throw holy rollers and some longnecks on it so she doesn’t feel so out of her element

|

4/5/2020 4:53 PM

Almost forgot, I cut my bars to 26" too..

|

4/5/2020 5:18 PM

I usually don’t mod anything, I just have a Psychotic Fetish with slamming the rear wheel all the way into the drop outs

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

4/5/2020 5:44 PM

Frames would be better off being made using mm instead of inches, especially when trying the get slammed re's.

|

4/5/2020 6:31 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

That’s dope, didn’t expect to see that on vital haha. You should throw holy rollers and some longnecks on it so she doesn’t feel so out of her element

Thanks, it could end up with similar tires. Might end up going with 24" wheels and really tall tires on it..

|

4/6/2020 9:12 AM

Mod list:

-Trimmed bars down 3/4" on each side
-Rigged BB spacers (one is a thick piece of like copper wire stuff I found, some are plumbing parts)
-Dual upper and lower cables for the back brake-they cross behind the seat tube for better pull, AND have housing on them to protect the seat tube
-Front brake lever is a rear brake lever
-Front brake cable is ziptied to the fork as there is no cable guide for it
-Fork is an old Odyssey Flatland fork with like 15mm offset-filed two adapters to fit nicer with 3/8 axles/bolts
-I use derailluer cables/housing for my lower brake cables
-Grease on the cable themselves before going into housing, use bike aid dry moly lube in housing also
-Primo DSG PC for non drive hubguard

That's all I can think of right now.

Also a lot of that is likely coming off. I am changing the setup again pretty quick here, going brakeless for a bit cause all I can ride locally is my rails.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2020 10:37 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

how high are they? do you mind posting a pic?

|

4/6/2020 11:12 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

crooked don g wrote:

how high are they? do you mind posting a pic?

9.25"

Photo

Photo

|

4/6/2020 12:55 PM

Francky wrote:

Undesemin wrote:

I don't like running any air in my tires. It really helps with all those big drops and you don't have to worry about ever getting flats.

Really? I've been experimenting recently and I found out "natural" gas is the best for tires. Look now hear me out, I know it takes a while, farting whenever you feel the urge into an air compressor, and if you get a leak the smell will knock out anybody in a 20 foot radius, but man I have never felt such little rolling resistance in my life.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican