What parts/trends were around when you started?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2016 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 8:41 AM

I like seeing the progression of parts and trends and I've been moderately in the game long enough to identify some progression. My first "real" bmx bike was a Haro X1, that I soon upgraded with a white wall tire in the back, purple Stolen Money grips and a plastic Stolen seat. Reading through old blogs I got thinking about all the bygones of about 5 or 6 years ago. Here's what i could come up with:

People actually rode Stolen

SKA
VEN
GER

Eastern and how everyone and their mothers said they sucked

Stolen's plastic parts

Coalition (and their Holy Cross bars)

Animal stems were everywhere

Animal BOB bars

Fly classic rims

Sunday was picking up

No freecoasters

Shadow Raptor was THE loudest hub you could get

Premium was a thing

Super lightweight bikes

Metal Bikes

Low slung frames (Killorado)

Thin seats that were about a millimeter away from the rear tire

GLH's

Proper tire sizes (dont even get me started on why I hate the fat tire trend...or do. I'm up for debate)

No throwback/repro junky old school frames

Half link chains sucked (and still arent as good as full links even now)

What do you guys remember?

|

12/14/2016 8:26 AM

8.5in bars being stupid high...7.5 bars where awesome
Pretty much everything listed already lol

also the old school frames with modern geo are fucking awesome

|

It’s all bmx

12/14/2016 8:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 8:41 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

8.5in bars being stupid high...7.5 bars where awesome
Pretty much everything listed already lol

also the old school frames ...more

Riding 8.15" Banned bars lmao

|

12/14/2016 8:51 AM

40lbs was a good weight for a custom that would last, people were sceptical of 6lbs frames and 2.5 lbs forks, slam bars were considered huge, 2.1 was the big tyre, people were worried about integrated head tubes breaking, small gearing was 36-13 unless you had cash for a profile setup. Could go on for days

|

12/14/2016 8:52 AM

When I started it was Damn near a crime to ride brakeless , riders would throw you out of the park for being wreckless

|

12/14/2016 8:56 AM

hmm...started riding in 76...got out of it in 89-90 (just went to MTB in college). Got back into it about 3 years ago....HOLY CRAP, what a new world!!!

Mongoose was still being made out of a garage in Chatsworth California....

there was no such thing as "park" riding...at least in the midwest. We all rode dirt trails without man made jumps, or on dirt tracks

"Street" was riding from your house to your friends house

brands: Mongoose; Hutch; GT; Red Line; Haro; Raleigh;...Mongoose and Red Line were the premium bikes

seat pots were high

Chuck Taylors; the black and white checkered Vans, and then regular tennis shoes were what you wore for shoes

brakes on both front and back

from what I remember, there were no plastic parts on good bikes other than number plates

a less than 30 lb bike was very rare

your local bike shop was THE PLACE to be; the center of the community; Tuesdays were the new parts delivery day, and we were alway there to help the owner open boxes and put stuff on shelves; usually got free stickers or even t shirts for helping...and mostly free maintenance

no internet...got all our info from magazines or talking to people

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/14/2016 11:17 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

hmm...started riding in 76...got out of it in 89-90 (just went to MTB in college). Got back into it about 3 years ago....HOLY ...more

Would you consider the internet as a major game changer? Literally no BMXers hang out at bike shops because of mail order and the fact that most local shops seem to suck, and people are more exposed to new tricks and are able to get better/1up each other faster.

|

12/14/2016 1:16 PM

Everyone had a Macneil Rueben/Friemuth/Whitton frame

Everyone wanted to ride like Mike Aitken.

Someone in town would get a copy of a BMX video and we'd all go over to his house to watch it.

Seats were as low as possible.

Riding brakeless was crazy and rare to see.

|

12/14/2016 1:31 PM

djfivejames wrote:

Everyone had a Macneil Rueben/Friemuth/Whitton frame

Everyone wanted to ride like Mike Aitken.

Someone in town would get a ...more

Weird because I normally associated low seats with brakeless riding.

Also you reminded me of those sick Whitton sig Shadow Penumbra with the white and black coffins. Miss those

|

12/14/2016 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 1:39 PM

Seats high, but gradually coming down (but still high enough to barspin), haro kneesavers, full pads and full face helmets, over built bikes, lay back seat posts, bars angled forwards, 1 piece cranks unless you were pro, bars cut down so much you had to bend your brake lever out, 10mm axles that bent all the time, 44t sprockets, platforms, 8" bars considered big, quill stems, chrome, far too much chrome (the reason I hate it now).
The the big divide between "real" bmxers (street, trails, one brake and 2 pegs, punk and metal, everyone rode either a dirtbike or Holmes, or a standard, baggy jeans, chain wallet) and the freestyle x games style riders (still full pads, still bars forward, still lay back seat posts, 2 brakes, 4 pegs etc).

I guess it was around the time I started that big companies outside of bmx started taking interest again. X games started, but there were still cool contests held by local skateparks, and companies like hoffman. The bigger bike brands like GT, haro, mongoose, were still very big names in bmx. But bmx was starting to do things on its own with good rider owned companies starting (s&m had already been around a few years. Hoffman were making good parts, standard were almost at their peak, loads of rider owned clothing brands like fbm, hlp, scum, poor boy etc) and we started turning our backs on the bigger brands, because they just weren't supporting bmx. The bikes were shit and they weren't coming up with anything worth having. I guess that's when custom builds first really started taking off too, being able to buy an aftermarket frame and parts, instead of just buying a haro shredder or GT performer.

I've been riding through every trend since then too really. The invention of clamp on stems (only a couple of years after I started, but took a little while to really take over), Stupid light bikes, girls jeans, euro bb's, bars getting gradually higher, really short bars to really wide bars, the beginning of brakeless, the re introduction of freecoasters etc

Everyone should always want to ride like Mike aitken!

Edit: just to add. Props was awesome, waiting for a video to come out was awesome, going to the backyard shop, and backyard jams was awesome. New magazines (tread!) was awesome.

It's sure changed a lot! I'm not sure how much for the better though

|

12/14/2016 2:00 PM

I got into it late 2006… 10 years ago, damn.

I still have the first Danscomp magazine I ever got laying around, I'll take some photos of some of the contents later and post em up. But I remember 14mm front axles, 48 spoke hubs/rims/wheels, railed seats (I think ONE pivotal seat existed at the time haha), cog drivers were still a thing for street bmx, unsealed wheels were still being sold, 6lb+ frames, tiny 7" bars, hardly any topload stems, and so on. It's crazy how much things change over the years

|

12/14/2016 2:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 2:13 PM

everyone riding 7-7.5" bars cut so narrow it almost felt like riding a scooter, only front load stems, cassettes, brakeless, steel pegs (and if you had 4 you were considered a poser), steel pedals and slammed seats angled up like you're looking to have your fudge packed. A lot of people still
rode over 30/11 gearing.

I don't mind the current "trends", taller bars feel more comfortable and freecoasters are fun, kinda miss my steel pegs during the winter season though. Except super wide tyres, fuck that shit. They only get in the way and some of them almost weigh 1kg which is absolutely ridiculous.

|

12/14/2016 2:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 2:17 PM

4 piece bars, 44t sprockets, front & rear brakes unless you were a dirt jumper/racer, CS mounted u-brakes, beartrap pedals, high seats, 4 pegs even if you rode trails and dirt...

fox racing shirts, baggy ass jncos, hemp necklaces, bleached hair

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

12/14/2016 3:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Seats high, but gradually coming down (but still high enough to barspin), haro kneesavers, full pads and full face helmets, ...more

All this sounds about right to me

|

12/14/2016 3:28 PM

Taken from a Winter 2006 catalog… couple noteworthy things I saw- tiny bars, ALL metal pedals, nearly all railed seats, and more

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/14/2016 3:36 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Taken from a Winter 2006 catalog… couple noteworthy things I saw- tiny bars, ALL metal pedals, nearly all railed seats, and ...more

Those sealed Mosh pedals were awesome! I wish I had that selection now of tiny 2 piece bars with crazy upsweep...

and LOL at all the titanium Eastern stuff

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

12/14/2016 3:59 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Those sealed Mosh pedals were awesome! I wish I had that selection now of tiny 2 piece bars with crazy upsweep...

and LOL at ...more

That's another I should've added! Titanium parts everywhere haha the Eastern Ti frame was in here marked as new, along with the cranks & bars

|

12/14/2016 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 4:11 PM

No coasters unless flatland
smaller bars were cooler
seatposts visible
48h wheels
14mm front and rear axles
sealed bearings were an upgrade, not commonplace
Press in cups for BB and headsets
no plastic anything
no hub guards
44t sprockets
33t was the smallest you could get
front brakes were somewhat common
everyone around me had a gyro or brakes for the most part unless parts broke
2 pegs was common, 4 was less common, 3 was weird
we rode with ANYONE, regardless of how they looked or what they rode
Pads were common (and smart)
girl pants were not yet a thing
bikes weight nearly double the weight of current bikes
no one could triple ANYTHING (bars whips etc were NOT done)
Mirra, Miron, Hoffman and Nyquist were the top in pretty much everything, always.
people rode every aspect of bmx at any given time

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/14/2016 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 4:21 PM

Slammed seats
Fit sky highs, odyssey lumberjacks or s&m slams. bars were rarely over 8.5
Flybikes was the shit. the classic rims, stems, tierra frames
Fit was the trendiest brand out there right before cult took the title
Stock fits everywhere
No brakes
No pegs or 2
Animal stripe seats if you rode a fat seat
slim seats
Tuck no handers, barspins and whips were the coolest
S&m btm was the trendiest frame
Titanium spoke and parts
Profile hubs and cranks
Odyssey cs2 race forks or fit shivs
Low standovers above 8.75 was rare
Freecoasters were gay and for cheaters (all the people who said this ride coasters now)
Nike 6.0
skinny jeans
80s pop songs
Headbands or bandanas because people had long hair
Plastic pegs
animal bob 3.0 bars
sputnic,coalition,khe,stolen, hoffman, skavenger, simple were all around and relevant
Superstar was the park rat brand
Sidewall distro with the deals
2.25 front 2.1 back tire
Light bikes
Park riding wasnt looked down upon
Tree made frames
Eastern bikes was the most hated company lol
Vein bmx
13.3-13.75 back ends were common
This forum was active

I miss this bmx. My bike is still set up like that.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

12/14/2016 4:21 PM

Those skinny ass slammed FIT seats that were all plastic , and 9 rise bars was considering massive HAHA

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/14/2016 6:49 PM

Bikes weighed 40 pounds. Everybody had 7.5" or 8" bars. Only nutjobs rode brakeless. Most bikes came with a front brake or at least mounts for one. Can't say I miss 40 pound bikes at all.

|

12/15/2016 7:57 AM

Echoing most of what's been said...

Heavier the better (easier to pump through a 16pack at the trails)
Seats were coming down but still high enough to pinch
Short and Skinny bars
2 Steel pegs (If you had 4 you were flatland or giving people rides)
Triple Wall rims (alex rims specifically)
14mm front axle
No Skinny Jeans - I rocked Dickies
Beefy shoes - DC/Etnies
Profile BlackJack 44tooth with Fat Chain setup
Using a chain for your brakes/straddle cable
No freecoasters
No youtube/instagram edits. Strictly rode for fun, not followers
Discovering bands through DVD parts

I raced heavily from 93-04 but was involved in street/park/trails from about 98-04.

I went to Woodward in 04 and remember seeing Ti spokes/forks. The weight weenies were just starting. That was something I only saw in racing. It wasn't even a possibility on my street bike because being a "park" rider didn't exist.

I'm getting back into riding now and I'm back and forth on this new school stuff. I might get a new wheel set to ditch the triple walls and get a smaller driver. I'll keep my FIT Series 1 though!

|

12/15/2016 4:10 PM

Bikes where heavy as shit. I had a Haro Nyquist back trail x3 I painted a house all summer to get I put on a pair of bear trap petals and still where the scares today on my knees and shines from slipping of the petals coming off a jump.
The sweetest bike in town was a Dk general lee with profile cranks, Dk iron cross sproket , and S&M pitch forks and Dive bars.
No one in town liked kids riding bikes and we weren't aloud on any business property in town and I was arrested alot for trespassing.

|

12/15/2016 4:23 PM

welfarebum wrote:

Bikes where heavy as shit. I had a Haro Nyquist back trail x3 I painted a house all summer to get I put on a pair of bear trap ...more

Photo

Here's mine.
|

12/15/2016 4:43 PM

Slammed slim seats, 2 pegs, 8-8.5 bars, and for a while in my area white frames with red splatter was a big thing.

|

12/15/2016 7:01 PM

welfarebum wrote:

Bikes where heavy as shit. I had a Haro Nyquist back trail x3 I painted a house all summer to get I put on a pair of bear trap ...more

Super-Pawl wrote: Photo

Here's mine.

Back in I think 99 that bike was a beast and people had some quality bikes but out of all of them I thought it was the best.
I'm looking to buy another bike in spring after like 15 years off. Are the wheels that came on those bikes back then what they consider free coasters. I see people talking on here about cassettes and free coaster back then I never seen a bike that you could peddle backwards.

|

12/15/2016 7:16 PM

When i started riding, the trend was to call out liars.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

12/16/2016 5:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/16/2016 5:50 PM

welfarebum wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote: Photo

Here's mine.

I always wanted one of those. i was in shock the first time i saw one in wal mart

|

12/16/2016 6:27 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

hmm...started riding in 76...got out of it in 89-90 (just went to MTB in college). Got back into it about 3 years ago....HOLY ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

Would you consider the internet as a major game changer? Literally no BMXers hang out at bike shops because of mail order and ...more

definitely...in every way. Mostly the internet made it so that there were no "local heroes". Now everyone can follow riders from anywhere...which is also not bad, but it has splintered riding groups I think. Pre internet, you got all of your "pro info" from the older experienced riders in the scene. Also, pre mail order, you got what was in the store, or what the LBS could order, and were sort of under control of the LBS owner. For example, around here in the 70's you could only get Haro, Hutch and Red Line bikes. All the LBS's only had deals with them.

What I noticed about LBS's "sucking" is that the owners either became snooty towards a certain kind of rider; or did not try to stay competitive with online. As the first generation of BMX riders grew up, and out of BMX, the bike shop owners followed the money trail into MTB's in the mid-late 80's and then road bikes. BMX'ers' in the eyes of the LBS owner, were now a class of money-less young thugs. At least around here, most of the guys my age who are LBS owners will tell you that progression word-for-word. They had to follow the trends where the money went. The younger BMX'ers would scare away the post college MTB and roadie buyers, so the LBS guy broke ties with the scene...

the internet is good b/c it exposes us to other BMX cultures, riders, tricks, shops etc. That immersion is cool, but it can also destabilize the foundation of the local scene. Every one is now riding to compete and impress people they will never meet. I have noticed there are less jams now because people can get there info on screen...on the other hand, jams are HUGE sometimes because the word gets out quicker and to a larger audience.

Another bad thing about the internet is how people take what they read as absolute truth...i.e. younger riders on here learning to believe that a certain brand is "shit", without actually testing it themselves to make sure. People believing that brakeless is for pros, and brakes are for pussy's...this phenomenon is happening everywhere on the internet, not just here

I could go on....I grew up at the end of the era where most people did not have tv's in their house, so I have seen a HUGE jump in how we all live. This technolgical time will go down in history as monumental b/c of computers and the interwebs. Almost as big as the wheel

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/17/2016 8:36 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

definitely...in every way. Mostly the internet made it so that there were no "local heroes". Now everyone can follow riders ...more

Good insight, thanks

|