What’s a good inexpensive starter bike to fool around with ?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2020 9:43 AM

Hey, I want to get a bmx for cruising around town doing a few small jumps, maybe learn some simple grinds etc. I’m 38 so not like I’m gonna do anything too hectic at this point 😆. I’m 6’2 230, I don’t want to spend crazy money on a first bike. I saw a used Haro 400.2 (150$), A DK general lee (250$), and a Haro 200.3 (150$). Would anyone recommend either of those considering I’m a bigger dude ? Or any other suggestions? Any help is much appreciated 🤙🏻

|

4/12/2020 10:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2020 11:34 AM

At your height, you would be best served by a 21" or larger top tube. At your weight, honestly, I'd be looking for something full-chromoly. If you were a beginner of 12 years old , 5'8" and 130#, you could probably get away with a hi-tens frame. As it is a you still might but you certainly don't want to find out the hard way (a broken fork or bars) that you should have bought full chromoly. If the bikes you listed, the Haro is probably a 2011, at best. It's listed as "5 tube chromoly" so it's probably not full chromoly but all main tubes are (top, down, seat, chain stays, seat stays). That said, I wouldn't even entertain the Haro 200. The DK General Lee would probably be there best bet as I believe those were all chromoly so if you definitely wanted one of those, that would probably be my choice. Again, all of these would also need to take the TT into account.

|

4/12/2020 11:08 AM

Thanks 👍🏻. Those are just a few I saw on Craigslist. Just wanted a general idea as I didn’t want to end up with a bike for a 12 year old. I was leaning toward the 2011 Haro 400.2 as it’s been barely used but wasn’t sure on size/durability of that. I think I’ll just keep looking though...thanks again for the help 🤙🏻

|

4/15/2020 8:23 AM

Wait a minute...My 2016 FIT was made for young riders...something that I am not (38yrs/190 lbs/5'8"). 
A good bike is a good bike. In a perfect world you'd like to find a bike with - full Chromoly, 3 piece cranks, sealed bearings and dual wall wheels. 

|

4/15/2020 9:10 AM

Framed Attack Pro.
It's the cheapest full chromoly option you're gonna get anywhere near that price range. It's $300 but the cranks are hi-ten, but sunday makes some solid chromoly crank arms for $60 called sunday saker V2. Honestly though if you're going to do that you might as well get the Mongoose Legion L100 as that has better all around parts in addition to everything chromoly includes chromoly crank arms, sealed bearings all around, and a mid bottom bracket. It won't break the bank and it'll still perform well.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/15/2020 1:34 PM

Maybe a Sunday EX/forecaster or a wethepeople justice or reason

|

smile

4/16/2020 6:51 AM

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice, I’m gonna keep an eye out on Craigslist for some of those suggestions. 👊🏼🤙🏻✌🏻

|

4/16/2020 7:02 AM

The Mongoose can be found on Amazon.

|

4/16/2020 8:22 AM

dead goon wrote:

The Mongoose can be found on Amazon.

I read enough these looking for suggestions thread, most over certain age are already set their minds up and even you offer a much better options (brand new) they are not willing to adjust...

|