What size TT Should I Get?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2017 5:44 PM

I am a 12-year-old rider and have been riding a 21 in tt solid killing machine frame for a while. I know it is too big and I want to get a new frame soon. I am 4'11 and have been looking at a kink titan 2 with 20 in tt off dans comp. If that size tt will work would this be a good bike to get? Also what height of bars would I run on a bike like that?

|

9/22/2017 5:51 PM

Personality, at your height, I'd look at something even smaller. Like a 19". & at your height I'd go with a 7.5" bar and possibly even a front load stem. A 19" will serve you well, & you'll be used to it even when you get taller did it won't be like you have a bike that's too small. A 19" will also make everything more manageable for you.

|

9/22/2017 5:57 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Personality, at your height, I'd look at something even smaller. Like a 19". & at your height I'd go with a 7.5" bar and possibly even a front load stem. A 19" will serve you well, & you'll be used to it even when you get taller did it won't be like you have a bike that's too small. A 19" will also make everything more manageable for you.

Do you have an idea of any 19-inch frames that aren't like kids bikes and have mounts but no posts on the brake mounts?

|

9/22/2017 6:07 PM

Colony has an 18" that's pretty ssweet. Full chromo.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/211885/Colony_Sweet_Tooth_18_Frame.html

|

9/22/2017 6:16 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

angushall19 wrote:

Do you have an idea of any 19-inch frames that aren't like kids bikes and have mounts but no posts on the brake mounts?

Ya, its stupid to have the option to have the ability to stop on command with the pull of a small, conveniently placed lever...lol

|

9/22/2017 6:19 PM

The old frame i built up just recently is a 19.5 with like a 74° headtube, feels small to me at 5'11" but It is still very rideable. I agree a 19" seems like it would be perfect at your height. A 20.4 or .5 would probably be great to and its pretty standard and easy to find. Thats the size a lot of people are satisfied with.

|

9/22/2017 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 6:28 PM

Some sizes are harder to come by. I say 19" as a reference. I definitely wouldn't go any larger than a 20".

Whatever you end up with, I'd look for a front load stem with a short reach if you can. & then the 7.5" bars.

If you can, go to a local shop & see if you can find something that you feel really comfortable on & go from there. Even if it's just a little kids bike. You aren't looking to buy it, just looking for the feel. If you find something that you are really excited about, find out what tt length it is & what stretch the stem is, etc... So you can mimic that with a real bike.

|

9/22/2017 6:55 PM

I will probably go with 20 in tt for the reason of availability.

|

9/22/2017 8:09 PM

You will be fine with a 20". That should be good for you. Especially switching from a 21". Dropping to 19" seems drastic. 7.5-8" bars should be good, top load and shorter bars, or front load and taller bars.

|

9/22/2017 11:28 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's for 18" wheels...

19" tt frames are hard to come across (unless its for flatland). But if you sell your current frame you'll get some pretty good money for it. 20" toptube should be fine and are more readily available, although it's still a little short for most aftermarket frames. Or if you can afford it, have a look at the fbm youngboy frame.

|

9/23/2017 5:54 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

That's for 18" wheels...

19" tt frames are hard to come across (unless its for flatland). But if you sell your current frame you'll get some pretty good money for it. 20" toptube should be fine and are more readily available, although it's still a little short for most aftermarket frames. Or if you can afford it, have a look at the fbm youngboy frame.

My bad. Just did a really quick search.

|

9/23/2017 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2017 1:27 PM

Are you selling the killing machine? If you are I'm definitely interested in buying it. I'll help you fund your new frame.

|

9/23/2017 4:24 PM

A 20 in tt will be just fine but I don't think you should get low 7.5ish bars, that will just give you less leverage. Some 9 inch rise bars will help tremendously in picking the bike up and won't be ridiculously high even at your height. The higher bars also make your too tube effectively shorter as the bars come back at a slight angle (if in line with the forks).

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

9/23/2017 7:34 PM

ambisketcherous wrote:

A 20 in tt will be just fine but I don't think you should get low 7.5ish bars, that will just give you less leverage. Some 9 inch rise bars will help tremendously in picking the bike up and won't be ridiculously high even at your height. The higher bars also make your too tube effectively shorter as the bars come back at a slight angle (if in line with the forks).

He's 12 & 4' 11" talk. If he goes much bigger, he's not going have control enough to have leverage.

|

11/2/2017 11:46 AM

Yeah, about to get a frame soon. Got it in 20 inch and with a super short chain stay. The Cult shorty. I have really noticed how big the TT on the killing machine is after riding my friends bike. It is a tiny cult 18 in though without never riding before I was able to get up about a foot on hops. With the killing machine I found myself doing euro hops because that was the only way I could comfortably get the back wheel up without nosediving in a normal one because that was how much I had to lean forwards.

|