What size cranks for S&M ATF?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2016 8:15 PM

So I'm looking at picking up the ATF frame soon and just looking at what's going to transfer over from my old bike to this one. Not being mechanically minded at all I usually learn about things as and when I need to either replace or fix them. One thing I'm pretty in the dark about is BB's and the compatibility with cranks. I was just wondering if there's a particular sized spindle the BB will take or is it just a case of making what you've got fit with spacers/bearings etc. Sorry of this is a super simple question, like I said, I just ride and worry about how it works when it goes wrong haha.

|

4/1/2016 9:54 PM

The spindle size relates to the inner diameter of the bearings themselves. The ATF frame has a mid size BB housing, so you need a mid size BB set with the inner diameter to match your spindle size.

|

4/2/2016 2:49 AM

So what you're saying is I could get a 19mm, 22mm or 24mm spindle as long as I get the matching sized bearings for a mid style BB?

|

4/2/2016 2:59 AM

Yes. Eg, if you have 22mm axle, you need a 22mm mid bb. Then the length of the tube spacer (the tube that goes inbetween the bearings, over the axle, inside the shell) will depend on the width of the bb shell. It can be spaced out with smaller spacers, but needs to be spaced correctly

|

4/2/2016 6:50 AM

Thanks guys. At least I know now roughly what I'm aiming to get for it smile

|