What size sprocket

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2013 6:01 PM

there are alot of threads about this but i want to start a newer one.

so recently i broke my sprocket, I'm getting a new one from tree's warranty. I have been riding 25t/9t but kinda want to try 28t/9t.
Is it worth it? How hard is it to pedal? good for flow/park/trail? points for better personal experience and persuading me.
|

BIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKES

5/13/2013 6:03 PM

Sure, it's personal preference. I'm riding 28/9 now and it's fine it's a bit harder to pedal but I got used to it in 5 minutes or so. I don't ride park or trails so I can't answer that part.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/13/2013 6:05 PM

yeah go for it

to me it feels way better then 25, its alittle harder to pedal but you go faster and feels a lot smoother/stable to me

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

Go for it, 28/9 is pretty nice, especially for your style for riding.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

You can go faster with 28t but it's kinda harder to pedal at first but then you get used to it.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

5/13/2013 6:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies and what about long distance riding? I ride 5 milles almost daily to my local park

|

5/13/2013 6:25 PM

30-9
44-9

|

fack off

5/13/2013 6:31 PM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

yeah go for it

to me it feels way better then 25, its alittle harder to pedal but you go faster and feels a lot smoother/stable to me

hows it for riding distances its 2 1/2 miles to and from my local park

|

5/13/2013 6:38 PM

tannerbaker wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and what about long distance riding? I ride 5 milles almost daily to my local park

I also don't know that, I never ride far or use my bike for transportation sorry man. The short distances I've rode it's actually really good.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/13/2013 6:40 PM

tannerbaker wrote:

Four wrote:

I also don't know that, I never ride far or use my bike for transportation sorry man. The short distances I've rode it's actually really good.

thanks. i think i might try it but im gonna have to go to a not a strong chain (drug mart chain from KMC hollow chain)

|

5/13/2013 6:44 PM

Higher gearing is better for transport...

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim
Traded: tomdon
Hooked me up: zachhendrix, oscar7588

Personal Email: snmloverbmx@hotmail.com
n-dür product info/ order email: ndur_bmx@outlook.com
n-dür on facebook

5/13/2013 7:04 PM

3 or 4

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/13/2013 7:31 PM

I love it, I can go so much faster than I could with 25. I really don't know any downsides to it

|

Anderson IN

5/13/2013 9:16 PM

I have run 25-9, 28-9, 27-9 (current ratio), 28-10, and 30-10. I prefer 28-9/30-10 so go for it!

|

Bike Check

Refs: ScramHype, bstick, and Brokenbmx

5/13/2013 9:23 PM

EatMyButt wrote:

I have run 25-9, 28-9, 27-9 (current ratio), 28-10, and 30-10. I prefer 28-9/30-10 so go for it!

how much different does 30-10 feel compared to 28-9 because i have a good idea on how it feels but it seems like 30-10 would work better for your chain life and driver life

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

5/13/2013 9:44 PM

28-9 is a little bit harder to pedal, but as others have said you'd get used to it in no time.. it actually feels more strange going from 28-9 back to 25-9.. and for traveling 5 miles to get to your park, it will be great since you'd be picking up more speed, you'd be pedaling a lot less..

i loved having 28-9.. i rode from my house to the FIU campus, something like a little over 20 miles to and from, a few years ago.. still want to go up to 27-9 though..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

5/14/2013 6:29 AM

So I'm gonna try to get tree to send me a 28 as a replacement. Thanks for the info everyon!!

|

5/14/2013 6:56 AM

Just remember, you'll need to add links to your chain.

|

5/14/2013 6:59 AM

before this threads dies, whats the actual size difference, like the diameter? coz my 25t only just clears my chainstay, and the sprocket bolt is even closer,but i want to run a 28 tooth but dont want to fuck my chain allignment up

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

5/14/2013 10:59 AM

EddiMundo wrote:

before this threads dies, whats the actual size difference, like the diameter? coz my 25t only just clears my chainstay, and the sprocket bolt is even closer,but i want to run a 28 tooth but dont want to fuck my chain allignment up

thats a good question. i really need to know this too

|

5/14/2013 11:08 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

yeah go for it

tannerbaker wrote:

hows it for riding distances its 2 1/2 miles to and from my local park

aslong as your not going up huge hills youll be fine, I always ride to the beach which is like 7 miles from my house and im usually less tired then when I had a 25t

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

5/14/2013 1:12 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

When i had my Death Row frame, i was able to clear a 33t sprocket, for 33-11 and 33-12 gearing.. it ran really close, like within 3mm of the chainstay, and that was with the 19mm adapter, bb dust cover and a small spacer.. so i think any cs length above 13.4 will easily clear up to 30t (which is considered huge by today's standard).

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

5/14/2013 1:20 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

I forgot to add.. i tried out an old 28t sprocket with a bashguard on my broadcaster frame a few weeks ago and it ran perfectly fine.. seeing as how you, EddiMundo, have the wtp irish with a cs longer than mine, you'll be ok with 28t.. i haven't been able to try 30t yet.. don't know if you're planning to go that big, but i suspect it won't be drastically different.

|

-- Jean Rostand

5/14/2013 2:04 PM

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

I forgot to add.. i tried out an old 28t sprocket with a bashguard on my broadcaster frame a few weeks ago and it ran perfectly fine.. seeing as how you, EddiMundo, have the wtp irish with a cs longer than mine, you'll be ok with 28t.. i haven't been able to try 30t yet.. don't know if you're planning to go that big, but i suspect it won't be drastically different.

well if it fucks up i guess i could whack a spacer in there, how off can your chain allignment be without the chain not engaging properly on my sprocket if you know what i mean

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

5/14/2013 2:35 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

well if it fucks up i guess i could whack a spacer in there, how off can your chain allignment be without the chain not engaging properly on my sprocket if you know what i mean

If you rotate the pedals after putting your drive train together and there's a grinding noise or scratches on the outer area of the teeth, then the alignment is way off and should definitely be adjusted.. if the tight and loose spots are too tight or too loose, then the alignment is a little bit off, but should only need slight adjusting (according to sunday's website).. but like i said, you can, more than likely, get away with up to 30t on cs lengths in the mid to low 13s.. the irish, with a 13.21 cs, would run 28t with no problems.

|

-- Jean Rostand

5/14/2013 6:16 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

tannerbaker wrote:

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

When i had my Death Row frame, i was able to clear a 33t sprocket, for 33-11 and 33-12 gearing.. it ran really close, like within 3mm of the chainstay, and that was with the 19mm adapter, bb dust cover and a small spacer.. so i think any cs length above 13.4 will easily clear up to 30t (which is considered huge by today's standard).

thanks for the info! ill be fine with my frame.

|