What to do next?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2016 2:11 PM

Well, hi there, once again. Sorry for the lack of activity in the last month or so, but i've just been busy. Anyway, i'm getting through a strange chapter in my dear life. I decided to build a pc a month or two ago and pretty much dedicated myself to learning each and every little thing about how to do so. Spent a lot of time in front of my laptop and phone, too, which im not very proud of, lol. Anyway, i've been riding all this time, too, but not as much as i now wish i did. I achieved my only summer goal, to learn the 180 (after 1 yearof struggle, lol) and in a week i got bored of so much pc information. The problem here is, I'm left with nothing to do...i got bored of my bike as soon as i mastered the 180. I don't feel like riding my bike anymore...feel like i need a break from it, but i'm kinda left with nothing to fill my time with. My friends have no desire to ride either lately. So what are your guys' advices? I'm sure as hell done with the pc stuff, i just need to get the money to buy the last couple of parts. What next?

|

8/24/2016 2:34 PM

learn another trick, why stop at the 180?

|

8/24/2016 2:47 PM

Rust wrote:

i don't know...i just don't feel like learning a new trick...and if i decide to learn learn something, say barspin, i give it 10 tries and i give up. Idk whats happening. Energy isn't there anymore.

|

8/24/2016 4:22 PM

Rust wrote:

Yea learn the 1080 now

|

8/24/2016 5:56 PM

can you do a 180 out of a quarter or half pipe and land the jump? Can you 180 off of an embankment or staircase? CAn you 180 and land in a manual?

There are many other things that you could do. I still have not mastered the 180 yet, but man there are sooo many things I would want to do with it when I can.

i have not had the time to ride in the past 3 weeks due to my job...and I KNOW that my skills have gone backwards. I have also been experiencing some hesitation to get back out there...until I come on this site, or just peruse DansComp or something. Give it more time. Watch some videos. Maybe just ride tot he local place and talk shop with people...check out new bikes; new set ups....some times it takes a non-riding event to relight the fire

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/24/2016 7:02 PM

try mountain biking. do some downhill. figure out which one you like more

|

8/24/2016 10:58 PM

Don't worry about learning tricks, just ride your bike. The hot weather here de motivates me, when I ride I can't really be bothered to try anything new, but I still have fun nibbling about. However, a little break from riding will probably do you good. Go on bmxmdb.com and watch some random videos, that usually makes me want to ride more.

Don't get a downhill bike, they've got big wheels, and they're bouncy, and have these weird disc brake things on them. They're some kind of witchcraft (nah, fill your boots if you want to try it. But a half decent bike will cost a good couple of grand, and it's pointless unless you live near somewhere good to ride it)

|

8/25/2016 2:02 AM

Well, no, i kinda mastered the 180 flat, in and out of things, not drops or anything like that...so i guess i could go try new variations, maybe even out in the wild... street life ftw... lol. As for riding mountain bikes, i'm not even thinking of buying a new bike, especially one that pricey, even tho i have plenty of mountains to ride near my city...plus i don't like mtb or downhill..not my cup of tea....im sticking to bmx smile. Thanks for the kind replies. All help appreciated.

|

8/25/2016 4:46 AM

idk man. cruise around or some shit man. i wouldnt get rid of your bike. people usually regret that decision.

id probably just try and pick up a few other tricks or some shit. like one handers one footers x ups crank flips 360s

try 180s down stuff. maybe get pegs and learn grinds. who knows... maybe after you go out a bit more youll like it more.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

8/25/2016 7:17 AM

I would learn all the basics first, get a good idea of bike control and balance.
Work on manuals, hops, controlling your bike in the air, grinds, and spins.
Once all the basic stuff is out of the way move on to harder tricks or combining tricks together.
Give yourself a check list or set some goals to help you stay inspired, but of all just have fun with it.

Also try to surround yourself with people that will motivate you and help you progress, its always a bummer when you try to ride with people who aren't feeling up to riding like you are.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

8/25/2016 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2016 9:18 AM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

I would learn all the basics first, get a good idea of bike control and balance.
Work on manuals, hops, controlling your bike ...more

This is all pretty much win!!

Yoshi pretty much listed ALL of the things that go through my mind during the day when i am bored at work...and that totally keeps me motivated.I always think "where am I on my checklist....
manuals: about 45% there;
180's: 10% there
bunny hop height: 50%

I make a plan for the next riding session and that alone motivates me to get out.

If I come home and am thinking "man I am beat" or tha tit is too hot to ride, my step son pushes me to go out. Like Yoshi was saying...he motivated me to go. Then we get to the park and the other guys are there and that is fun too cause there are guys waaayyyy better than me who help me out, and other guys re-learning who I can help out

Verde Kid mentioned trying a different style of riding...I have mountain biked for the past 20 years alongside BMX, and it definitely helps my BMX riding, and also motivated me to get out. On the weekends in the fall (when the weather is better), I hit the skatepark in the morning for about 4 hours (before it is full of younger skateboarders who clog up the lines) and then hit the mountain bike for about 4 hours in the evening. The mountain biking has honestly helped me BMX better b/c it is heavier and many times I have to use A LOT of the fundamental stuff (hops, manuals, reading lines etc) just to survive. IT is some thing to consider...and decent bikes can be found used. Remember, a mountain bike DOES NOT need to be full suspension, carbon fiber, 10lb $5000 race machine. My mountain bike is a fully rigid (no shocks) 100% full 4130 Chromoly steel 34 lb tank, that was literally modeled to ride like a BMX. It is a Surly Krampus. It was $1400, which is actually a great price for what I got...it WILL last me a lifetime

The big thing to keep remembering is that your motivation will come and go. a HUGE thing to think about is to NOT get rid of your bike in a slump. The day you get the motivation you will immediately want your bike. I had a 10 year slump and am so glad that I still had my bike from the good old days. Hopefully soon I will be getting a newer up to date bike (Verde Luxe!!!!)

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/25/2016 5:47 PM

You might be good at BMX flatland maybe? Or just riding how you've normally been riding and just need to rediscover what it was that made you want to get on a bike in the first place?
That's what's kept me riding a bmx for over 15 years now!

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

8/25/2016 7:03 PM

The more you ride the more you will want to ride. This past summer I beat my body to shit and felt like I hit a plateau in my riding which had serious negative effects on my motivation. But I kept at it and starting landing more tricks, falling less and most important having more fun. Imo Bmx is unlike most other sports because the rate of progression is typically very slow and your going to kill your body in the process. Everyone on vital knows exactly how you are feeling and experience that feeling on a usual basis, It's definitely more common than you'd think. You can either decide to quit/chill out. Or you can push on and eventually you will start to kill it and at that point you'll be like hell yeah I've got mad skills on a bike and you'll practically be glued to your bike.

|