What to do when you have a broken ankle

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2020 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2020 7:36 PM

Yeah I spiral fractured my fibula yesterday and haven’t done shit and I’m not sure what to do other than sleep and play games on my phone. Any suggestions would be appreciated

|

smile

10/21/2020 7:37 PM

Get high

|

It’s all bmx

10/21/2020 8:46 PM

Take your bike completely apart, clean and grease everything proper.. While it's totally apart maybe (I don't know your bike) repaint it?

Watch and study a lot of flatland stuff on YouTube, and get prepared for a whole new bag of tricks that will challenge you, and at the same time still be easier on your healing and chit, and your driveway is a perfect place to start...

|

10/21/2020 9:17 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get high

With an injury like that, I’m guessing he already is. I’d imagine the docs hooked him up with some good shit to knock the edge off.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/21/2020 10:03 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get high

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

With an injury like that, I’m guessing he already is. I’d imagine the docs hooked him up with some good shit to knock the edge off.

Man I wish, all the doctor did was give me a boot, crutches, and a prescription for ibuprofen :/

|

smile

10/21/2020 10:22 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get high

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Man I wish, all the doctor did was give me a boot, crutches, and a prescription for ibuprofen :/

In that case drink beer, and lots of it

|

It’s all bmx

10/21/2020 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2020 10:33 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Get high

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

That sucks. I’ve got medical conditions for which I am prescribed the good shit. If it weren’t for that, I’d be Cheech & Chong’ed out all the time these days.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/22/2020 4:26 AM

Watch videos, dial in your bike (full disassemble/rebuild) save for fresh parts, play video games, take up a hobby that doesn't use your leg (drawing, woodburning, carving, building, welding painting, coding etc)

Find online classes that could help your career or future career.

Work overtime if you can.

Eat really clean to get healthier and exercise the other parts of your body (push ups can be done with one leg on the ground) sit ups, pull ups etc so you don't atrophy too much (or at all).

Play music.

They say like 20 hours of practice with something and you can get "good" at it. I saw a ted talk where a guy learned to play a ukelele, and learned a 4 chord progression which is actually like 87 different songs (minus any guitar solos etc). Do that?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2020 6:17 AM

Once the initial swelling subsides you can use heat to increase bloodflow and quicken the healing process. Applying ice is only essential in the first 3 days max.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

10/22/2020 6:33 AM

avoid alcohol like the plague, rest as much as possible, CBD oil will help stimulate bone growth. Check out PureKana. I broke my tibia vertically in 2 places, had surgery and was back to playing hockey in 2 months. The most important thing you can do is rest, and give your body time to heal. It sucks, but its necessary. Good luck in your recovery

|

10/22/2020 7:45 AM

Beat off

|

10/22/2020 10:15 AM

Bummed for you man. We've all been cooped up enough this year, so I can only imagine this is especially annoying, let alone painful. I've been spending a good bit of time here and there looking up riders and video on google and youtube from SlavBMX's Gnarliest Underrated Riders thread. It's brought back some great forgotten memories as well as introduced me to some riders and content I was previously unaware of.

Definitely do what you can for exercise. Upper body stuff, and also what you can for core and back. You'll have to get creative with needing to let your leg heal, but it won't stop you doing things like crunches and maybe a sitting version of a pallof press for core, and some pull ups/ pull downs as well as accessory work for the back. Progress when you are healthy and do your best to maintain when you are not. If you're into it, let me know. I was pretty messed up a couple years ago and will dig up my log books to see what my routine was when I couldn't very well stand under my own power.

An instrument is fun if you have the inclination for it. I like the guitar and will always own one. My skill level is piss poor, but it doesn't stop me having fun and it's as good a way as any to kill some time here and there.

If you get tired of everything else, learn a language. I knew a little spanish from previous experience, and I've been practicing it here and there in my free time. A good number of my coworkers speak it, and it's been fun for all of us as I learn more of it and start to use it with them here and there.

|

10/22/2020 2:28 PM

Suffer, have your job threaten to fire you if you dont come back soon, get sores under your armpits from crutches, try to walk down stairs and end up falling to the bottom...

Oh wait...those are things I would do.

Get into RC cars or flying drones? Maybe you could get one of those drones with the cameras so you could record other riders for a cool clip?

Video games are really the go-to for when Im injured, it gets boring after a while but if you pick the right games you can really get invested into it mentally.

Start a gaming channel on youtube.

|

10/23/2020 5:27 AM

Whenever I’m hurt is inevitably when I get into photography again. Last September I dislocated my ankle and broke my tibia and fibula so I was out of action for a while. Do physiotherapy, work out, eat well, stay social, find something stimulating, if you’re in a boot ask your doctor when you can do strengthening exercises (I was doing it after 3 weeks but had 12 week recovery), be careful of clots in your leg, draw, listen to music, learn a language, get tattooed.

|

10/27/2020 7:17 PM

First you get a box..🎵🎶

|

10/27/2020 9:44 PM

Play original NES games!

|

10/28/2020 7:52 AM

shreddingat43 wrote:

Play original NES games!

Heck , play OG NES games even if you're not hurt. I stopped playing the newer open world stuff that takes over your life. old school is simple, pick up and play fun.

|

10/28/2020 5:36 PM

Riding BMX is hurting a lot, but having some broken stuff sucks. I have a hobby I stick to longer than riding BMX, it is playing guitar. It is always working, when not riding, to play guitar, because it is so much fun.
If you can and are young pick up an instrument and play, the injury is fast done.
Otherwise get depressed and fat or work out. Drinking beer is fun too, but it is very unhealthy (Still I like it though).

Van Homan did photographing stuff when he got hurt.

|

10/28/2020 6:12 PM

MannyDanny wrote:

Riding BMX is hurting a lot, but having some broken stuff sucks. I have a hobby I stick to longer than riding BMX, it is playing guitar. It is always working, when not riding, to play guitar, because it is so much fun.
If you can and are young pick up an instrument and play, the injury is fast done.
Otherwise get depressed and fat or work out. Drinking beer is fun too, but it is very unhealthy (Still I like it though).

Van Homan did photographing stuff when he got hurt.

I broke my arm riding last year and one of the things that sucked most was also not being able to play guitar.

Do something else creative. Music. Draw. Write. I started writing drawing more when I broke my arm and it was cool cause I realized I was better at it then I thought.

Take apart and clean your bike if you can. Learn cool crutch tricks. Parkour that shit lol. Just stay busy. I enjoy video games too play some forza or skate

|