What was your first BMX bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/14/2016 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2016 8:22 PM

As I was recently digging through old BMX boxes, it brought back memories of my first BMX bike. I always had some type of bike since I was 3-years-old, but it wasn't until I was 9-years-old back in '97 is when I truly started riding BMX and received my first official BMX bike. At the time, my older brother put this bike in layaway at our closest bike shop in the next city over from us. As soon as it was paid off, I was riding it every single day. It's where BMX really began for me. It's also the bike I started racing with.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good photo that showed my first bike clear enough. So, the image below is the same model of one I found online. It was a black 1997 Robinson Rebel that was customized with plenty of stickers and red tires shortly after I got it. Robinson was a brand originally started by Chuck Robinson in the 70s and then acquired by GT in the 80s. I definitely wish I still had that bike, or at least the frame.

Photo

What was your first official BMX bike? Tell us about it and post up a photo if you have one!

|

9/14/2016 9:06 PM

I got a used 2003 haro f2 for my 9th birthday. The rims were dented and bent and it wasn't pretty, but i can say that i never broke a single part on it.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/14/2016 9:25 PM

I always like reminiscing about these kinds of things. I always rode around the neighborhood/to friends houses on random Mongoose bikes and learned to bunnyhop up small curbs on them, but other than that and hitting tiny dirt jumps, that was the extent of my Mongoose bmx bike riding... My first real bmx bike was a 2006? Haro Backtrail X2

Only photo of just the bike I have anymore (that I know of anyway), but luckily I still have some shots of me riding it too when I first started!

I received it about 10 years ago now in September, maybe very very late August, 2006 (Thanks mom!)

here she is about a month or two later with upgraded Animal Edwin grips, Odyssey Monolever brake lever, uncut Odyssey slic cable (didn't like the gyro clanging against my bars haha), Fly Ruben rear tire, and Kink Lite pegs

Photo

I remember thinking this was the god of bmx bikes after only riding Mongoose bikes. It rode sooo good, felt sooo light, and I felt like it could do anything. I'll throw this riding photo in too, I was so stoked when I did this. This was a few weeks after I got the bike.

Photo

|

9/14/2016 9:33 PM

Thanks for sharing guys. I love seeing the riding photo with your first setup, sundaybmxRR. Good stuff!

|

9/14/2016 10:50 PM

Wow I feel old haha. My first bmx was a diamondback viper that just about all my friends owned at some point before me that I got for £25. Everything kept going wrong on it, so my dad bought me a 95 GT performer as a birthday/Christmas present when I was 14.

It didn't last long though as me and my friends were constantly swapping parts. This is the only photo I know of of me riding back in those days. Pretty sure it was the summer of 97, on my 1" s&m dirtbike with ditchforks, redneck, xposure dirt bars, I think everything else was stock GT
Photo

|

9/15/2016 7:10 AM

My first bike was a chrome Haro F3, thing was a tank but super fun to ride:

Photo

Then after having it for a while I got something a bit more modern, a GT Fly:

Photo

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

9/15/2016 7:30 AM

I had a sears supercycle that I thought was the schnitz when I was 11. It had a number plate man. It was the 2nd most expensive BMX in the store. My neighbour got the most expensive one - that one had to two different tire sizes and looked rad (2.125 front 1.75 rear). Once we started getting faster, racing, jumping, crashing and both bikes didn't last. The pedals all broke so we rode on the bent spindles. All 4 brake levers snapped off where the 'hook' part hooked in. Yup, I was riding brakeless back in '84!! Which led to harder crashes, bent cranks, slipping bars, etc. The grips were plastic and we had bleeding blisters....I still have the frame, it's hanging in my parents garage right next to where the (recently restored - search bike checks for 'barn find') ) RL20II was.

Anyway my first REAL BMX was a 1986 Raleigh freestyler. it has dia comple brakes, 5 spoke mags, built in rear frame standers, and two position front fold down pegs. It was a tank but I put a ton of miles on that thing. Then went through successions of Bully's, GT aggressors, Pro series, Haro, a Decade Pro, until I got the RL20II and there was nothing left to trade up to....

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

9/15/2016 8:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2016 8:18 AM

1999 Bright yellow schwinn pro stock 2 because Brian Foster but had the shop throw on some 4 piece schwinn bars because Jay Miron. Not my picture but close to this.
Photo

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

9/15/2016 8:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2016 8:28 AM

My first BMX was a Huffy Thunder Road...back in 1974.

Love seeing all of the "history" here!! The first bike always has the best memories

I got my first real BMX in 1980...Mongoose Supergoose pictured below. It was a dream come true. Worked 2 years mowing lawns etc for it. It got stolen 6 months after I got it. I was devistated....never really recovered.

Photo

Finally replaced my baby with an '88 Californian Pro...
Photo

Still ride this bike today. Every thing is original except the seat post, tires and pedals.

Looking to get a Verde Luxe to update to modern geo, feel etc. The CP will be relegated to cruising and mid-life crisisng with my other BMX buds who still have their old bikes. We have a "crew" of sorts: we call it Old Guys BMX Park Rats. We ride to local skateparks and yell at the kids to stay off the grass wink It is a blast. Lots of BMX history: Hutch's Redlines, GT's other Mongeese; old Diamond Backs, Haro's

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/15/2016 9:28 AM

Photo

mosh brass 3 star In green and raw
|

9/15/2016 9:30 AM

First bike was a huffy mj12 , it was sweet till I broke the frame in half

|

9/15/2016 9:36 AM

I had a walmart mongoose...but my first real bulge was a old haro my friend found being trashed. We took it to the build shop and switched all the parts over that we could. I ended up getting a headset and the brown forks were some random ones off a fit complete that the shop had taken apart. Photo

|

It’s all bmx

9/15/2016 11:06 AM

Haro Backtrail X2!

|

9/15/2016 1:04 PM

i had some bike i dont remember when i was like 8-10 yo. the first one i started riding serious was this one i borrowed from a friend - 2004 khe dirty buster: Photo

2005 i bought this beauty:
Photo
where the frame broke after 3 years, which got welded by a friend.

2009 i bought this, which i am still riding: click here

|

9/15/2016 2:05 PM

My first REAL bmx bike was a haro f3. Got it when I was 14 I think. Purchased it at a local bike shop. I felt real cool. Lol

|

9/16/2016 4:27 PM

KHS Duster...If you've heard of that one you've probably got some years on you. My first nice one was a Schwinn Predator. Bmx was very different back then, not many of the same companies still around.
My brother had a Mongoose with those alloy mag wheels, motomags I think they were called...that bike must have weighed 35 lbs

|

9/16/2016 9:30 PM

loosegrips wrote:

KHS Duster...If you've heard of that one you've probably got some years on you. My first nice one was a Schwinn Predator. Bmx ...more

yep. The Motomag was what put Mongoose on the map. Bikes were all heavy back then. I remember my Supergoose was advertised as the lightest you could buy. My friend's Redlines were like tanks...I think that is why now-a-days I never even consider weight when looking at stuff.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/18/2016 12:27 PM

It's been really cool learning about all of your first rides. Thanks for sharing fellas.

|

9/18/2016 1:26 PM

First 20 inch bike was a Schwinn Stingray, Jr. in 1977.

I purchased a Redline MX II frame and fork in 1982 and swapped out most of the parts from the Schwinn. I stole the seat from my brothers ten speed so I didn't have to use my old banana seat from the Schwinn.

That was the start of it all....

|