What went into you frame purchase

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2021 10:20 AM

Why did you buy the frame you ended up going with?

Was it what you could afford, is it your dream frame you finally got your hands on, strictly geometry, based on brand only?

I ride a Kink Broadway, i wanted a shorter rear end on my frame. Saw it on Kink's site which is odd because they no longer sell it and kink told me was made in limited quantities. It had brake mounts which for me is a must, it is the same exact geometry as the kink williams frame and was cheaper....I planned on getting it during a black friday sale but sometime in August a few years ago they had the same discount code for a week that they had during the prior black friday sale so i pulled the trigger on it....so it was inexpensive compared to similar geometry frames from the company, had the geo i was looking for, and also didn't come in twink colors which i didn't want

|

8/11/2021 10:40 AM

Mainly geometry. But also because it's cool. It's was a toss up between a cult dehart, subrosa wildchild, and the T1 skapegoat. Basically the same geometry, and basically the same as my old frame, but I wanted a shorter tt.
I was going to be an adult and buy a sofa instead, but a couple of friends of mine work at 4down. One of them sent me a video of him holding a skapegoat, and said he might be able to get a discount, so I pulled the trigger.
It was the most expensive of the 3. But it's the last frame I'll buy for a while, and still cost less than either of my previous custom frames.

Sometimes it's worth spending a bit more for the added stoke levels

|

8/11/2021 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2021 11:37 AM

For the past ten years my job gives me 750 bucks a year for bike parts to spend . So I’ve taken the the money and supported shops I like and want to see do well in Canada. Constantly buy a frame with completely different geometry to force myself to challenge myself to be able to ride any kind of geometry .

Got a great deal from harvester on a haro sdv2 in the spring and that I rode for 2 months . Now I got it sitting in a box and am going to give it away to my buddy soon. The Current frame I recently got on DDairbags threw an airbag video contest and I ended up winning it. They told me to pick the top tube size and colour on a total killabee and they sent it to me. complely different geometry to the haro I was on. At this point riding for over 20 years geometry doesn’t really matter to me aside from I need a top tube 20.5 inches or longer as anything under I smack my knees on my stem in turndowns and they feel terrible.

My backup bike is a 2018 haro mirra tribute complete and the only thing I know about that bike is it’s 20.5 top tube and the bars are an inch shorter than on my main bike. No idea the geometry on the frame but It feels great though. I can jump on it and pretty much be ready to shred off the hop without needing time to adjust.

Shout out to DDairbags and if your in Canada looking for a good shop harvester bikes is definitely worth checking out.

|

8/11/2021 11:10 AM

Went with a Subrosa Joris frame. It was like $100 off on Black Friday and it had right around the geometry I was looking for.

|

8/11/2021 11:41 AM

Last year I saw a good sale on San Pen BMX's site on 2019 BSD frames for $220 ($255 shipped). They had the entire lineup available, with the exception of the Sureshot. After I went from an S&M Dagger to ATF I knew I wanted a high standover and bb height. So it came down to the Raider or Safari frames: both 9.5"so, 11.75"bb. But the Safari had a shorter rear so I chose that to help with my persistent back injuries. That said, I would go with the Raider if I had to choose today. I'm in better shape now and haven't had any major spinal issues recently. I miss the extra umph you get hopping with a longer end.

|

I get big airs off small things

8/11/2021 11:43 AM

I got my frame because I like 13.75 rear ends, but mostly because Morgan Wade is the man

|

It’s all bmx

8/11/2021 11:56 AM

Not even gonna say anything.

|

8/11/2021 12:24 PM

i will die on a Barcode

|

8/11/2021 12:50 PM

EmpireBMX wrote:

i will die on a Barcode

You and me both!!!

|

8/11/2021 1:37 PM

Hydroformed gussets

|

8/11/2021 1:57 PM

Geometry and because I really wanted it. This is my rider, BTW, a 2019 Metal Kizz.

I rode a Proper BSH before that and did not like the short back end at all. I tried a Sunday AR but it was really heavy, and again I did not like the short back end. The Metal has all of the modern manners but a slightly longer back end so I don't spend all of the time falling on my arse.

Maybe if that is what I rode years ago and got really used to I would love it, but I just couldn't get used to it.

|

Gravity always wins.

8/11/2021 1:59 PM

First I tried a 12.75cs bike it was fine but wanted to try a longer cs . When I saw the MRII I just knew I wanted that frame . Mostly I’m trying different things to see what feels best but I think I’ll be riding longer cs from now on or until I change my mind again

|

8/11/2021 2:05 PM

Alot goes into my thought process honestly.

A) Geo: if this isn't at the top of people's list they're either new or... Just don't care. Lol. But yeah. I tend to go with frames with the new standard geo (75ht, 13cs, 21tt). The Kink Titan II is perfect aftermarket frame in my eyes but I wanted to try other frames out. I went from the T2 to the Skapegoat which felt weird to be. I think it was the BBH so I sold it & got a Laird custom.

I loved the geo. It was perfect but I recently donated to Sean Kelly for the Tiseo jam (I got Tiseos name on the bridge.

I grabbed a 20.75 T2 but wasn't feeling it. I need a 21 TT so I snagged a Cult Hawk (my current). Not really feeling it. The HT. The CS. It's not for me.

So now I'm in the market for a new frame.

cool Riders: I usually make of list of my 20 fav riders at that moment (Tiseo, Butcher, & Taubin are usually the 1st 3). I see what they're riding & make an assessment.

My usual list is Kink first because of Tiseo, Greg Henry, & Chijioke. Cult because of my homie Ooti, Begin, & Jaume. Hoffman because Seth. & Stranger because my homie Brandon & Yumi. Plus Rich hooked up 2 people from NOLA.

Moral: I'm either getting a Titan II, Cult Shorty, or Stranger RPG. Lol.

|

8/11/2021 3:00 PM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Hydroformed gussets

Wtp?

|

8/11/2021 3:14 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Wtp?

Battleship frame

|

8/11/2021 5:45 PM

I'm ashamed to admit I am a proper pro hoe. I buy stuff because I like the riders and want to support them (and I usually buy from an Australian store so what's in stock is the second big thing).

I got a Tall Order frame because they were putting out fun videos at the time exploring really crazy unique spots and I liked Seb Keep. And the geometry and colour was right and the local shop carried them.

|

8/12/2021 5:43 AM

In no particular order:

Getting something not common locally
Respecting the brand
Price
Geometry to an extent (I can get use to most anything over a little time)

I have a (now only half) copper Radio Nemesis. There was one dude with a Radio locally. Next frame I get I have no idea. But I can tell you it will NOT be a Cult. I have no respect for how Cult was created, and everyone locally runs their stuff. I can't justify similar pricing to other brands when it is all catalog stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2021 8:05 AM

I wanted a second scooter.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/12/2021 8:52 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I wanted a second scooter.

Third?

|

8/12/2021 11:45 AM

Cult frame with ideal back end/ht/so and a cool graphic, what more could I want

|

smile

8/12/2021 1:34 PM

1. Geo...not too difficult to find:
A. 13” CS
B. 9-ish ST
C. 5 inch head tube

2. Construction and attention to detail
A. Embossing/engraving
B. Top/Bottom gussets
C. Thick drops
D. Additional features like cool seat stay/CS bridge

3. Stoke level: couldn’t afford anything nice when I was younger and had always wanted S&M frames. Now that I am older and can afford, it’s cool to buy what I always wanted.

|

8/12/2021 2:09 PM

Grew out of my old 20.5" frame and noticed that S&M had just made the BTM in 21.5". I hesitated for a couple of years, because I didn't think the 1" in TT length would make a difference... I was finally about to pull the trigger and then S&M announced the Tall Boy frame (came in 21.5")/ Widemouth XL fork.

The first Tall Boy was basically an ATF with a 5" HT and taller SOH, so that pretty much had me sold.

|

8/13/2021 4:05 AM

vagabond wrote:

1. Geo...not too difficult to find:
A. 13” CS
B. 9-ish ST
C. 5 inch head tube

2. Construction and attention to detail
A. ...more

#3.

Mostly want i want to ride and what i think looks good.

|

Husky Nation Member

8/13/2021 12:34 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Alot goes into my thought process honestly.

A) Geo: if this isn't at the top of people's list they're either new or... Just ...more

I wrote this big ass soliloquy & didn't choose any of the shit I said. Lol.

I decided on the Sunday Street Sweeper. The frame has the in-between geo I wanted (12.70 cs & 75.25 ht with a soh under 9) and removable brake mounts for when my arthritis & tennis elbow isn't beating my ass. Plus Seeley is a dope ass human.

Point is GEO IS EVERYTHING!

|

8/15/2021 6:52 AM

Buying a frame based on brand and not geo is like dating a girl based on race and not personality or looks.

|

8/15/2021 11:00 AM

Material, geometry, color, then a brand that wasn't worshipped by any group nor considered wack by anyone.

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

8/15/2021 1:51 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Material, geometry, color, then a brand that wasn't worshipped by any group nor considered wack by anyone.

Didn’t include color in my list, but definitely important. I find that I keep trying to convince myself that I like colors on bikes...and I do...other people’s BMX. Every time I put a color on my bike it actually takes down my stoke level...like I’m less excited to ride it. Just sold a pair of beautiful blue Federal rims, just because I hated looking at my bike when they were installed. Pretty boring, but I just like black, raw, and sometimes chrome.

|

8/15/2021 2:12 PM

vagabond wrote:

Didn’t include color in my list, but definitely important. I find that I keep trying to convince myself that I like colors on ...more

I feel this, I was so hyped on some army green pedals to match my seat but now that I’m looking at it, I’m getting sicker and sicker of the green pedals by the day

|

smile

8/15/2021 3:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2021 3:36 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

I feel this, I was so hyped on some army green pedals to match my seat but now that I’m looking at it, I’m getting sicker and ...more

All parts are expensive, but I guess the good news is that you spent the money on a colored part you could consider “consumable” and relatively inexpensive.

I had a Whammo V2 in Trans Purple. It was a gorgeous paint job, just not for me. Once it got all dinged up (6 months), I just rattle-canned it black. Absolutely no regrets in doing so...it is my main whip now and don’t really want to ride anything else.

Edit: I realize that some may consider rattle-canning a trans purple Whammo a total violation...idc, my stoke level pretty much multiplied exponentially once the paint dried.

|

8/15/2021 8:18 PM

1) geometry 2) material 3) manufacturing technology

I could care less of the branding, the bike/build must appealing to me.Photo

|