What'd you do to your bike today?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2017 8:44 AM

I'm part of a few forums these days (one of them being VWVortex) and we have these threads in several model specific forums so I figured I'd give it a go here. Maybe start trading ideas/techniques etc.

Basically, since there are a few of us, we're all in different stages of riding, building, collecting, buying and selling parts, we could have a thread where we share what we did to our bikes that day if anything. If you can, pics of course would always help make it more interesting.

I know personally that I try to change things every month or so, or when something breaks or when I just itch for some new gear.

So for me, what I did today was...just got off the phone with Dave from PDC and put a deposit down on my custom frame! It should be ready to ship in about a month, and it's pretty rad to have someone say that they're stoked on making me something. I can't freaking wait to get status updates.

Not my pic, but it'll be raw with most likely a clear powdercoat to protect it



Now you go.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/28/2017 8:58 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I'm part of a few forums these days (one of them being VWVortex) and we have these threads in several model specific forums so I figured I'd give it a go here. Maybe start trading ideas/techniques etc.

Basically, since there are a few of us, we're all in different stages of riding, building, collecting, buying and selling parts, we could have a thread where we share what we did to our bikes that day if anything. If you can, pics of course would always help make it more interesting.

I know personally that I try to change things every month or so, or when something breaks or when I just itch for some new gear.

So for me, what I did today was...just got off the phone with Dave from PDC and put a deposit down on my custom frame! It should be ready to ship in about a month, and it's pretty rad to have someone say that they're stoked on making me something. I can't freaking wait to get status updates.

Not my pic, but it'll be raw with most likely a clear powdercoat to protect it



Now you go.

I wish I had something to contribute. I "sorta" do. I just bought some Odyssey forks with brake mounts (I love front brakes.... sorry haters). So that's all I have but I wanted to post a "CONGRATS!" message. That frame is going to be sick!!! Can't wait to see the build!

|

11/28/2017 9:43 AM

I rode mine yesterday for essentially the first time in about 2 months. That was nice. Apparently I figured out crankflips again without even riding.

That's swell.

I also learned I am SUPER RUSTY when it comes to street. Hopped a few smaller stairsets and it HURT. There is a pretty rad setup a few blocks from my house with smaller stairsets, and then some big ones with rails that some homies have hit a bunch.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

11/28/2017 10:01 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I wish I had something to contribute. I "sorta" do. I just bought some Odyssey forks with brake mounts (I love front brakes.... sorry haters). So that's all I have but I wanted to post a "CONGRATS!" message. That frame is going to be sick!!! Can't wait to see the build!

Post a bike check with your new forks! I want to see a Shovelhead with F25s and front brakes!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 10:03 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Post a bike check with your new forks! I want to see a Shovelhead with F25s and front brakes!

Will do. Should be here in a few days... hopefully before the weekend.

|

11/28/2017 10:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 10:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I wish I had something to contribute. I "sorta" do. I just bought some Odyssey forks with brake mounts (I love front brakes.... sorry haters). So that's all I have but I wanted to post a "CONGRATS!" message. That frame is going to be sick!!! Can't wait to see the build!

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Post a bike check with your new forks! I want to see a Shovelhead with F25s and front brakes!

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Will do. Should be here in a few days... hopefully before the weekend.

Sweet! I'm also waiting g for some new forks... Fit Blade V.3s... super stoked!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 10:30 AM

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

|

11/28/2017 10:37 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

Interesting... You don't often see a lone front brake.

|

11/28/2017 10:39 AM

i looked at it (it's hanging on the wall) I have odyssey 4x4 bars just waiting on the LBS to finish powder coating them

|

fack off

11/28/2017 1:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 1:05 PM

Just stripped mine down to part it out today

Gonna be building up a new beast

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


11/28/2017 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 1:07 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I wish I had something to contribute. I "sorta" do. I just bought some Odyssey forks with brake mounts (I love front brakes.... sorry haters). So that's all I have but I wanted to post a "CONGRATS!" message. That frame is going to be sick!!! Can't wait to see the build!

Thanks dude! Don't worry, I'm going to whore this new build out like crazy. I've already started collecting parts, which kind of reminds me we have another thread in my VW forum called "Post Pictures of Your Last Purchase". I have no problem merging those two ideas for this thread to keep it going. There aren't really any rules to the thread, just whatever comes to mind. I'm interested to see what people do with their bikes and riding. I don't have a lot of friends that ride so I'll need ideas to steal from all of you guys.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/28/2017 1:55 PM

Switched my whole drivetrain up, lhd thunderbolts, pc grandstands instead of aluminum, top load stem, mpegs, uniguards front and back.

Its going to be something I have to say "no" because of...as in "Can I ride your bike..." lol

|

11/28/2017 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 2:02 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just stripped mine down to part it out today

Gonna be building up a new beast

You should get some R25s for that build!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 2:04 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just stripped mine down to part it out today

Gonna be building up a new beast

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You should get some R25s for that build!

Haha, I will inevitably. Just not sure where I'm gonna get them from yet.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


11/28/2017 2:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 2:12 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Haha, I will inevitably. Just not sure where I'm gonna get them from yet.

I just saw your for sale post and if you sell something or whatnot just let me know I'll most likely still have the forks... people haven't really had much interest in them...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 2:16 PM

I dialed up my bike to it's full potential. Whenever it stops raining I'm gonna hit the park for the first time in like 3 months

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

11/28/2017 5:36 PM

thairishguy wrote:

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Interesting... You don't often see a lone front brake.

Yeah its not common. You end up watching your speed like hell because too powerful of a grab will send you otb. I sometimes jam the back tire to stop.

|

11/29/2017 2:45 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I just saw your for sale post and if you sell something or whatnot just let me know I'll most likely still have the forks... people haven't really had much interest in them...

I was interested but since I live in the UK I think shipping will be too much for it to be worth it

|

Hmmm

11/29/2017 3:36 AM

I'm currently trying to sell some of my fbm bits to people that'll actually use them. But I've just got a decent camera and all the gear I need to film and take pics. Only thing is work is getting in the way for me to be able to learn how to use it all.

I've also ordered a few bits for my own bmx company.

I rode the other day, it was so cold I'm thinking of not trying again in winter, and just concentrating on my brand and camera stuff.

I'm after a new front hub, then my bike won't need anything so I'm not really thinking about new parts either :/

|

11/29/2017 4:31 AM

I will be buying a wheelset and putting them on today. I have two project bikes that I have been working on since July. Get the wheels and I am done! Until I start breaking stuff. I have wheels now but the hubs are messed up. I tried to fix them but apparently wheel repair is not my thing.

|

11/29/2017 4:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 4:50 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

I'd like to do the same thing. I don't get why more people don't do that. Can do way more tricks with front brakes, you don't need a gyro to barspin, it distributes weight better, and front brakes are where all the stopping power comes from. They stop you faster, and more efficiently. Seems like a win/win to me. Might be a bit weird riding trails though, but still better than nothing.

|

11/29/2017 6:41 AM

I've invested in a lot of parts in the last week.

New budget back wheel, United Cassette hub, laced to a chrome Salt Plus rim.

Switched up the stem, from a stock Salt front load stem (this way surprisingly heavy) to a Kink Top load.

Really stoked on the latest buy though, 28t The Grey BMX sprocket. Switched from the stock 25t Salt sprocket and the weight difference is actually massive!

Still yet to ride it with the changes, just waiting on a new Tall Order chain to come through.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/29/2017 6:45 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just stripped mine down to part it out today

Gonna be building up a new beast

I'm on the lookout for a new frame and a raw one of these is being considered. When you get it set up, let me know what you think of it.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/29/2017 6:46 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I've invested in a lot of parts in the last week.

New budget back wheel, United Cassette hub, laced to a chrome Salt Plus rim.

Switched up the stem, from a stock Salt front load stem (this way surprisingly heavy) to a Kink Top load.

Really stoked on the latest buy though, 28t The Grey BMX sprocket. Switched from the stock 25t Salt sprocket and the weight difference is actually massive!

Still yet to ride it with the changes, just waiting on a new Tall Order chain to come through.

That sick bro! I always wanted one of Steve's sprockets... but he doesn't have them in spline drive... now that I've switched to a spline drive Odyssey Fang sprocket I'll never go back to bolt drive...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/29/2017 6:54 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That sick bro! I always wanted one of Steve's sprockets... but he doesn't have them in spline drive... now that I've switched to a spline drive Odyssey Fang sprocket I'll never go back to bolt drive...

Not debating spline-drive v. bolt. I just ALWAYS feel like those splines aren't enough. I suppose, in theory, you will be replacing your sprocket since it wears anyway but I just feel better with a bolt-drive. Maybe it's an "old school" thing. I don't know. I have never ridden a spline sprocket & I'm sure they are great. It's just a mental thing, I'm sure.

|

11/29/2017 8:34 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

ggallin422 wrote:

I'd like to do the same thing. I don't get why more people don't do that. Can do way more tricks with front brakes, you don't need a gyro to barspin, it distributes weight better, and front brakes are where all the stopping power comes from. They stop you faster, and more efficiently. Seems like a win/win to me. Might be a bit weird riding trails though, but still better than nothing.

Yeah I totally agree. Also nosepicks look cleaner with a front brake than a footjam (opinion). It also opens up a lot more "dork around" options than brakeless or rear brakes (although I know Im gonna miss doing skids).

You really gotta be on point when using it to stop while commuting though, or else you might send yourself over the bars. You really have to shift your weight far back and down low, or else you risk going into the accidental stoppie. Feathering properly is the key to using the front brake for commuting.

But I understand why more people dont use them though. A lot of proper street front brake forks are priced pretty much as aftermarket products and although a lot of people may be interested in them, they don't even know themselves if they are willing to commit to the front brake life and that if they end up removing the brakes after a month, they're gonna have a fork with unremovable brake mounts sticking out. Also to my knowledge I dont know of any complete bikes with 990 front brakes on the market currently (I have a feeling Im wrong though...i hope so), so theres not really much of a chance that people are gonna even get to purchase a complete bike with a front brake fork. Most peoples experiences with the front brake is from trying my bike at the skatepark, loving it, but probably they would never make the push themselves, unless they get really inspired to try it. The only reason I was commited to the front brake on my bike is purely nostalgia - when I was a kid, before I ever started skating, I learned to do stoppies on a mountain bike. When I got my first BMX I just always felt the front brake was missing. Partly its also thanks to this forum that I decided to go for it.

|

11/29/2017 8:38 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Well I took off my rear brakes on account that other than slowing down, I dont use them for tricks at all. So yeah just the front brake stays on.

ggallin422 wrote:

I'd like to do the same thing. I don't get why more people don't do that. Can do way more tricks with front brakes, you don't need a gyro to barspin, it distributes weight better, and front brakes are where all the stopping power comes from. They stop you faster, and more efficiently. Seems like a win/win to me. Might be a bit weird riding trails though, but still better than nothing.

thairishguy wrote:

Yeah I totally agree. Also nosepicks look cleaner with a front brake than a footjam (opinion). It also opens up a lot more "dork around" options than brakeless or rear brakes (although I know Im gonna miss doing skids).

You really gotta be on point when using it to stop while commuting though, or else you might send yourself over the bars. You really have to shift your weight far back and down low, or else you risk going into the accidental stoppie. Feathering properly is the key to using the front brake for commuting.

But I understand why more people dont use them though. A lot of proper street front brake forks are priced pretty much as aftermarket products and although a lot of people may be interested in them, they don't even know themselves if they are willing to commit to the front brake life and that if they end up removing the brakes after a month, they're gonna have a fork with unremovable brake mounts sticking out. Also to my knowledge I dont know of any complete bikes with 990 front brakes on the market currently (I have a feeling Im wrong though...i hope so), so theres not really much of a chance that people are gonna even get to purchase a complete bike with a front brake fork. Most peoples experiences with the front brake is from trying my bike at the skatepark, loving it, but probably they would never make the push themselves, unless they get really inspired to try it. The only reason I was commited to the front brake on my bike is purely nostalgia - when I was a kid, before I ever started skating, I learned to do stoppies on a mountain bike. When I got my first BMX I just always felt the front brake was missing. Partly its also thanks to this forum that I decided to go for it.

Tree make forks with 990 mounts, I think they might be the only company that do.

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

11/29/2017 8:55 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Tree make forks with 990 mounts, I think they might be the only company that do.

Are you referring to who makes forks with 990 brake mounts or companies that make completes with front brakes?

Several companies make brake bosses. Others just opt for the old mounting method

|

11/29/2017 9:03 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Yeah I totally agree. Also nosepicks look cleaner with a front brake than a footjam (opinion). It also opens up a lot more "dork around" options than brakeless or rear brakes (although I know Im gonna miss doing skids).

You really gotta be on point when using it to stop while commuting though, or else you might send yourself over the bars. You really have to shift your weight far back and down low, or else you risk going into the accidental stoppie. Feathering properly is the key to using the front brake for commuting.

But I understand why more people dont use them though. A lot of proper street front brake forks are priced pretty much as aftermarket products and although a lot of people may be interested in them, they don't even know themselves if they are willing to commit to the front brake life and that if they end up removing the brakes after a month, they're gonna have a fork with unremovable brake mounts sticking out. Also to my knowledge I dont know of any complete bikes with 990 front brakes on the market currently (I have a feeling Im wrong though...i hope so), so theres not really much of a chance that people are gonna even get to purchase a complete bike with a front brake fork. Most peoples experiences with the front brake is from trying my bike at the skatepark, loving it, but probably they would never make the push themselves, unless they get really inspired to try it. The only reason I was commited to the front brake on my bike is purely nostalgia - when I was a kid, before I ever started skating, I learned to do stoppies on a mountain bike. When I got my first BMX I just always felt the front brake was missing. Partly its also thanks to this forum that I decided to go for it.

p1p1092 wrote:

Tree make forks with 990 mounts, I think they might be the only company that do.

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Are you referring to who makes forks with 990 brake mounts or companies that make completes with front brakes?

Several companies make brake bosses. Others just opt for the old mounting method

I think he means removable front mounts. The more popular front brake forks on the market have welded 990 mounts.
I saw some Salt Plus forks with removable mounts on Source's black Friday sale, I believe. & I'm pretty sure S&M and FBM will do custom removable mount forks. Deco offers removable mounts for their FU forks.
There's plenty of removable options, they're just not very popular so most places don't stock them. + all the guys dedicated to running front brakes want welded mounts. Removable 990s can kinda suck from experience.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


11/29/2017 9:28 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think he means removable front mounts. The more popular front brake forks on the market have welded 990 mounts.
I saw some Salt Plus forks with removable mounts on Source's black Friday sale, I believe. & I'm pretty sure S&M and FBM will do custom removable mount forks. Deco offers removable mounts for their FU forks.
There's plenty of removable options, they're just not very popular so most places don't stock them. + all the guys dedicated to running front brakes want welded mounts. Removable 990s can kinda suck from experience.

Ah.... gotcha. What issues are you referring to from removable 990 mounts (haven't heard of any but I haven't really been looking for that info until now, either)?

|