What's so cool about plastic bar ends?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2017 11:03 PM

So Im looking through source bmx site and most of the bar ends are plastic, BSD now has a plastic bar end with a metal sleeve in the description it says that they won't break as easily as all plastic but you don't have to screw them in like metal one. I don't get it to me plastic bar ends are more hassle and don't last I've been riding my fly bikes caps for years cost me 10 bucks
is there a benefit to plastics in not seeing?

|

11/12/2017 11:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2017 11:53 PM

People run plastic bar ends because they usually come with the grips.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

11/13/2017 12:02 AM

Because they are cheap, dont leave burs and are silent when your bars hit the ground along with a little bit of cushioning.

|

11/13/2017 12:15 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

People run plastic bar ends because they usually come with the grips.

I could understand that i just don't like em lol

|

11/13/2017 12:19 AM

Cellmember wrote:

Because they are cheap, dont leave burs and are silent when your bars hit the ground along with a little bit of cushioning.

If your buying them without grips I don't see them being any cheaper over town compared to metal, burrs maybe I've never personally had a problem getting cut or snagged and being quiet or softer idk about all that.

|

11/13/2017 1:11 AM

I always just used the one that came with the grips

|

Hmmm

11/13/2017 3:52 AM

They're light too! I guess the new plug style ones don't break as easily as the older wedge style ones you used to get with grips. But I've broken a few. I've got some spares floating about for some reason so breaking one doesn't bother me, but I'll get some metal ones soon anyway

|

11/13/2017 5:32 AM

Been running the same Shadow ends for like a decade. No need for the plastic ones!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/13/2017 10:28 AM

I run plastic ends only, because 1) they come with almost every grips out there 2) I sometimes hit myself with the bar ends while doing tricks like barspins and the plastic ones hurt less.

|

Wake up, ride, have fun, repeat.

11/13/2017 10:28 AM

BSD madcaps man. Metal on the outside plastic inserts... The metal ones do save your bars but will look like shit after some abuse.

|

11/13/2017 1:52 PM

Odyssey par ends are the only ones I trust. Last for several months, sometimes even a year or so for me.

I prefer plastic cause I feel like they hurt less if you hit the end of your bars somewhere on your body. plus metal bar ends can get sharp burrs on them and cut you. Plus with plastic I feel better leaning my bike against something like my car. Metal would scratch it too easily

|

11/13/2017 3:14 PM

Yeah plastic bars end are made just becasue it's cheaper... my ODI grips came with plastic ones and they've been holding up pretty well.. they haven't ripped or been teared up yet... also I don't feel like spending $15+ on those Shadow metal barends even if they last awhile lol... I don't like the metal bar ends either becasue like stated above they get burrs and can hurt more if you get stabbed my your bars... but it's best off just to get a nce pair of Odyssey grips becasue they all come with the Par Ends which are pretty cool...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/13/2017 3:30 PM

Par ends nothing else is needed

|

11/13/2017 6:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Odyssey par ends are the only ones I trust. Last for several months, sometimes even a year or so for me.

I prefer plastic cause I feel like they hurt less if you hit the end of your bars somewhere on your body. plus metal bar ends can get sharp burrs on them and cut you. Plus with plastic I feel better leaning my bike against something like my car. Metal would scratch it too easily

The last sentence about leaning is so true. I feel like everything is gonna break if a metal barend even touches it (I keep my bike indoors, once a barend barely touchdd a window and i almost freaked out)

|

11/13/2017 7:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Been running the same Shadow ends for like a decade. No need for the plastic ones!

I've had my fly bar ends for at least 8 years I don't go through grips very often so plastic bar ends are more hassle for me once they get wore down their a fight to get out lol

|

11/14/2017 6:49 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

THIS

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

11/15/2017 6:47 PM

Any bar ends that fit is better than none

|

11/15/2017 6:52 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I been running Kink metal bar ends for 5 years, i gave up on repainting them but a good thing to do is use a file or sand paper to get the burrs out before they get worse. Or even file and then use sandpaper. Paint is just paint who cares, if you want it to look good you are going to go through bar ends fast, but i do like the odsy par ends and im sure the BSD plastic/metal ones work good as BcBmx said

|