What's the problem?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2014 5:15 AM

I was out making myself look stupid infront of people again today. It was fun...

I landed a few bunny hops a bit hard/dodgy, and it re-positioned my bars. I loosened the stem, put them back to how they should be, and tightened them as tight as i could. Happened again... Put them back again. Happened again...

Is my stem poop? Or could there be another factor?

I want to learn how to ride properly, and if my bike's got crappy parts that are going to hinder it, i don't think i can fork out the cash to replace them...

|

1/13/2014 5:21 AM

Wipe any grease off of the clamping area of your bars/stem. Make sure your bars are still nice and knobby and not smooth in that area. Idk what else. It may just be a cheap stem. You can get a forged budget stem for like $30

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/13/2014 6:12 AM

I'll take it apart later and have a good look at it. I'm sure it can't have wore down already, i've hardly used the bike in the 2 years i've had it...

It's a SALT AM Topload stem.

|

1/13/2014 6:14 AM

It usualyy only takes one slip to take a lot of the knurling off. And if you don't clean it after then the left over material causes the bars to slip again.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/13/2014 9:45 AM

That happened to my fl stem. I sliped once, then it started to slip all the fucking time, even when it was tight as Fuck.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/13/2014 10:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 10:28 AM

Clean out any paint in the clamping area of the stem AND the bars, and use a razor blade CAREFULLY PULLING AWAY FROM YOU to notch it for better grip.

Or replace the stem, and possibly the bars.

MINIMUM clean out the paint and any metal shavings or grease.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2014 10:26 AM

Jam a penny in that shit! It will work for a while.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

1/13/2014 11:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 11:23 AM

User error you are the problem

Sand the inside of your stem then grease the fuck out of it and put your bars in and go

|

1/13/2014 11:35 AM

eskimojay wrote:

User error you are the problem

Sand the inside of your stem then grease the fuck out of it and put your bars in and go

Cheers man, just what i was looking for!

|

1/13/2014 11:49 AM

Trick I use allot on the cheepo crappy Wal-Mart bikes I get to put up with daily at work...
Take your stem apart. Cap, bars, and stem...
Take a course file for metal, and using the edge, lightly dash the stem and stem cap in a horizontal pattern.
Using some masking tape section off the middle of the bars.
Use the file on the bars in the same way or use course sandpaper.

Blow off with an compressor, and tack cloth, and reassemble, and setup, tightening the stem cap evenly, I use my fingers to gauge the eveness of the tension, make sure your stem bolts are greased.
Before fully tourqing it. While the bars can still move slightly, position as preferred, and then tighten fully. Go back once done and give each bolt a quarter Turn using an Alan key and a bit of a pipe. Your bars should NEVER move now...

You'll need a cheater bar about 12" of 1/2" black steel pipe for this. Hope I've helped.

Ps the masking tape is just so you don't damage the paint... If you don't care about that then skip it :-P but it helps when positioning the bars again

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

1/15/2014 3:02 AM

Okay.. So i finally got time to take it apart. There were a few 'shavings' from where it had been moving around, so i guess that wouldn't have helped at all and it had been worn down ever so slightly in places..

I was surprised to see that the inside of the stem was smooth, i figured it'd be 'notched' as well, like the bars, to help keep it in place. Is that something i should probably do? To make it more 'stable'?

I might have to buy a new stem anyway, one of the bolts is a bit knackered on it... I'm thinking it isn't as tight as i think it is because of this.

|

1/15/2014 7:33 AM

Just messin with ya I do that sometimes

|