Whats too old?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2013 9:35 PM

Whats the age that you guys think a certain part should be replaced so as to avoid injury to yourself? Im talking at a level of riding where you have tricks such as 360's mastered, you do a large amount of grind, large gap and drops? and im not talking about Grips, Tires, Seats, or Pedals. Rather things like Cranks, Stem, Bars, ETC.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/22/2013 9:38 PM

Do you do a lot of crank grinds? Most of the parts besides the ones you listed should last a long time unless they get cracked or something.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

10/22/2013 9:39 PM

just keep ridin. if something can last several years, it's gotta be strong enough to last more.

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

10/22/2013 9:41 PM

Like if you ride HARD, I would play it safe and give it 1 1/2 years on cranks, stem, bars, and rims and spokes. 3 years on a frame if you ride hard.

|

10/22/2013 9:43 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Do you do a lot of crank grinds? Most of the parts besides the ones you listed should last a long time unless they get cracked or something.

I'm just curious as to at what point do you wonder if a parts gonna fatigue soon.
Like once a frame hits 5+ years old i feel like it should be replaced just to avoid something wrong. am i off on that number?

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/22/2013 9:48 PM

I ride my shit until it has signs of failing soon or is just pretty beat. My old Fit indent 19mm cranks were 2 & a half years old, no cracks or anything, but the splines were worn out so I got new ones. Unless there's dents or something in the part, I usually won't just replace it like that

|

10/22/2013 9:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I ride my shit until it has signs of failing soon or is just pretty beat. My old Fit indent 19mm cranks were 2 & a half years old, no cracks or anything, but the splines were worn out so I got new ones. Unless there's dents or something in the part, I usually won't just replace it like that

This.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

10/22/2013 9:51 PM

Damn My cranks/sprocket are six years old right now and im wondering if it's time to replace them.

Sprocket shows no wear for its age

My Right crank is pretty beat from grinds and shit. my left is got some decent wear as-well but they still feel sturdy as hell.

|

10/22/2013 9:52 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

I'm just curious as to at what point do you wonder if a parts gonna fatigue soon.
Like once a frame hits 5+ years old i feel like it should be replaced just to avoid something wrong. am i off on that number?

If there stuff on your bike that you want to change then I would say that's a good excuse to change it but other wise if your happy with everything on your bike just ride it till its obvious the part is on its last legs.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

10/22/2013 9:56 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

fitbikerider14 wrote:

If there stuff on your bike that you want to change then I would say that's a good excuse to change it but other wise if your happy with everything on your bike just ride it till its obvious the part is on its last legs.

I'll honestly probably keep running the stuff and keep looking for cracks or excessive wear. and when the time comes replace it. i have an extra set of noctis cranks chilling in my tool box if an issue does come up.

|

10/23/2013 3:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2013 1:46 PM

Just make sure to give your welds a check over if you crash hard or do something big.

I was thinking about this the other day and I came to the conclusion that most parts will usually just crack, dent or bend before they straight up snap so i think as long as your parts have none of those issues just run them until they do.

chains, cranks, bars, forks, & frame are the main parts you need to put your faith into so I would maybe change these things after a while, just for piece of mind, but it depends on your style of riding really.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

10/23/2013 6:15 AM

Inspect your parts and if you see anything odd, replace it.

That's the best thing you can do. Inspect it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2013 6:31 AM

I ride parts until they break, or I outgrow them. It's kind of a bad policy, but I can't really afford new parts all the time. I remember reading somewhere that Clint Reynolds builds a new bike every yeah, which I think is excessive. And soulrebel, parts don't always crack/bend ect. before they break. My cranks snapped out of nowhere, not even doing a trick.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

10/23/2013 7:02 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

And do this before or after you ride, or weekly if that is not possible.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2013 7:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Yea i pretty much inspect while im sitting at spot waiting for my turn or when im bored at home.

Chain wise i try and replace it as soon as it looks rough. like i lube my chain once a month and clean it. but when the plates get really loose i'll replace that shit asap.

|

10/23/2013 7:46 AM

Id say every 2 years if you can. But i think bars would be about a year since they taker alot of beating.

|

10/23/2013 1:51 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I ride parts until they break, or I outgrow them. It's kind of a bad policy, but I can't really afford new parts all the time. I remember reading somewhere that Clint Reynolds builds a new bike every yeah, which I think is excessive. And soulrebel, parts don't always crack/bend ect. before they break. My cranks snapped out of nowhere, not even doing a trick.

I guess thats true, i just meant the majority of the time you'll have some kind of warning sign, but yeah I don't want to think about parts just clean snapping, that scares the shit out of me, especially at the headtube. Fuck that.

That sucks btw which cranks? Was you just peddling?

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

10/23/2013 2:42 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

I guess thats true, i just meant the majority of the time you'll have some kind of warning sign, but yeah I don't want to think about parts just clean snapping, that scares the shit out of me, especially at the headtube. Fuck that.

They were Red line Device. Lasted me 3 years and then one day they shit out. I dropped in, took 2 cranks and they snapped, I thought it was a pedal until I saw the bottom of my crank missing.

|

10/23/2013 2:54 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

Yea i pretty much inspect while im sitting at spot waiting for my turn or when im bored at home.

Chain wise i try and replace it as soon as it looks rough. like i lube my chain once a month and clean it. but when the plates get really loose i'll replace that shit asap.

I had a Shadow chain last me 5 (FIVE) years by lubing and cleaning it every couple of weeks.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2013 2:58 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

They were Red line Device. Lasted me 3 years and then one day they shit out. I dropped in, took 2 cranks and they snapped, I thought it was a pedal until I saw the bottom of my crank missing.

Fuck...your lucky, in a different situation that shit could of gone real bad.

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

10/23/2013 3:16 PM

sent u a PM

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

10/23/2013 3:20 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

sent u a PM

i dont have that email anymore. 248 467 7005

|

10/23/2013 5:16 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Fuck...your lucky, in a different situation that shit could of gone real bad.

yeah. i was pissed tho. It was right at the beginning of my sesh too. i was pretty pissed

|

10/23/2013 10:36 PM

Just keep an eye out for the parts showing damage like cracks and bends. If something wiggs you out when you look at it then replace it. All people are different, my mates love fit shiv's I hate them and I'd never run them even brand new it's all up to your preference

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

10/24/2013 4:33 AM

Ive got a Stem from 2005 a rear wheel still the same from 2008 and they will both last me years to come.
My idea is ride them and if they start to give replace them

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/25/2013 2:07 AM

I have some profile race cranks and pitchfork xlts that are like seven years old

|