Whats your LBS like?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2011 9:07 AM

I live in two different places.

Cairns, Queensland Australia
Whyalla, South Australia

The Cairns LBS is dedicated to BMX and has everything! The dude that works there is fucking so chill and real helpful.
The Whyalla LBS is shit full stop. E.g. I took my wheel for a truing, he tried one method and failed at it so he gave it back! What sorta service is that? Also there best wheel in there is a Primo HulaHoop laced to some Eastern hub for 300 dollars.

Fuck that shit right off, they're so crap.
Wbu? What are you LBS's like?

-CB

|

1/13/2011 9:32 AM

Mine sell all shit stuff that are cheap and shit like they have no odyssey or any good companies

|

1/13/2011 9:33 AM

BMX I like wrote:

Mine sell all shit stuff that are cheap and shit like they have no odyssey or any good companies

indeed

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/13/2011 9:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2011 9:35 AM

Im after a decent rim, what you got?

|

1/13/2011 9:39 AM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Im after a decent rim, what you got?

i have a cinema 777 it's pretty darn good

|

1/13/2011 9:39 AM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Im after a decent rim, what you got?

got a odyssey hazard lite chrome 36hole

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/13/2011 9:39 AM

My shop is pretty good. I'm good friends with the guy that runs the BMX part of the shop, and he's real helpful. They don't have a huge selection, but they have high quality parts, and he gives me discounts.

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."

1/13/2011 9:40 AM

SHIT. End of.

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

1/13/2011 9:45 AM

Well, I work at a shop, and I'm sorry to say that bmx-related products makes up about 0.1% of our profit margin there. I'm the only one there who knows about it. Minus some grips and very cheap wheels and tires, we have nada with respect to bmx. I wish we had more, but the reality is that it's not a viable way to make money around here because of the lack of any scene. However, we don't rip people off on bmx stuff. Our margin off bmx parts is the same as anything else. We brought some 2010 Easterns in at the end of the year for ~100$ less, and we transferred that 100$ directly to the consumer-in other words even though we could have sold them at much closer to MSRP, we didn't, because while we know we need to make a profit, we never try to sell things for ridiculous margins just because we bring them in cheap.

You say you took your wheel in for truing and he "tried one method and failed so he gave it back." Well either your wheel is shot or he doesn't know what he's doing. There's really not multiple methods of truing wheels. Either he knows how or he doesn't-it's a sort of science that requires a lot of practice. Now, if the wheel is REALLY out, there's always the "whack wheel on floor really hard to try to bend the rim back" method. We only do that if the customer really does not want to spend money or it's for charity or something.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 9:49 AM

tibug wrote:

Well, I work at a shop, and I'm sorry to say that bmx-related products makes up about 0.1% of our profit margin there. I'm the only one there who knows about it. Minus some grips and very cheap wheels and tires, we have nada with respect to bmx. I wish we had more, but the reality is that it's not a viable way to make money around here because of the lack of any scene. However, we don't rip people off on bmx stuff. Our margin off bmx parts is the same as anything else. We brought some 2010 Easterns in at the end of the year for ~100$ less, and we transferred that 100$ directly to the consumer-in other words even though we could have sold them at much closer to MSRP, we didn't, because while we know we need to make a profit, we never try to sell things for ridiculous margins just because we bring them in cheap.

You say you took your wheel in for truing and he "tried one method and failed so he gave it back." Well either your wheel is shot or he doesn't know what he's doing. There's really not multiple methods of truing wheels. Either he knows how or he doesn't-it's a sort of science that requires a lot of practice. Now, if the wheel is REALLY out, there's always the "whack wheel on floor really hard to try to bend the rim back" method. We only do that if the customer really does not want to spend money or it's for charity or something.

The dude that works there is 100 years old and is still stuck in the 50's..

|

1/13/2011 9:50 AM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

The dude that works there is 100 years old and is still stuck in the 50's..

Oh haha sounds like a shop owner I know...

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 9:50 AM

Kinda good charges around 2 dollars to true a wheel and about 6 to lace it

only sells primo, odyssey,animal,gsport and sunday

|

Bike Check!!!!!!!

Im a peruvian motherfucker

1/13/2011 9:51 AM

narvaez bmx wrote:

Kinda good charges around 2 dollars to true a wheel and about 6 to lace it

only sells primo, odyssey,animal,gsport and sunday

If that was my lbs...
Fuck haha

-CB

|

1/13/2011 9:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2011 9:54 AM

tibug wrote:

Oh haha sounds like a shop owner I know...

There used to be younger guys there that actually rode BMX and knew what they were doing, he fired them.. WHY!?
So they would go to the skatepark and lace/true peoples wheels and shit for free.
Dial all their headsets, cranks, chains and brakes!

-CB

|

1/13/2011 10:11 AM

bikeman.com

Maine.

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

1/13/2011 10:41 AM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

There used to be younger guys there that actually rode BMX and knew what they were doing, he fired them.. WHY!?
So they would go to the skatepark and lace/true peoples wheels and shit for free.
Dial all their headsets, cranks, chains and brakes!

-CB

Haha that's rad.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2011 10:45 AM

I don't have a local BMX shop...But we have a road bike shop that claims they can work on a BMX bike, they sell Haro and Eastern completes. The dude in there tried arguing with me that a half link wouldn't fit on my full link chain. Brought that bitch in, borrowed a breaker and did it right in front of his face.

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!


And I ride for my niggas

1/13/2011 10:44 AM

tibug wrote:

Haha that's rad.

Yeah it is pretty sick.
I can lace, can't true to save my life though.

-CB

|

1/13/2011 10:47 AM

JustRideBMX wrote:

I don't have a local BMX shop...But we have a road bike shop that claims they can work on a BMX bike, they sell Haro and Eastern completes. The dude in there tried arguing with me that a half link wouldn't fit on my full link chain. Brought that bitch in, borrowed a breaker and did it right in front of his face.

LEGEND

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/13/2011 10:48 AM

JustRideBMX wrote:

I don't have a local BMX shop...But we have a road bike shop that claims they can work on a BMX bike, they sell Haro and Eastern completes. The dude in there tried arguing with me that a half link wouldn't fit on my full link chain. Brought that bitch in, borrowed a breaker and did it right in front of his face.

Haha thats what fucks me off about my LBS.
The customer is NEVER right.
If you ask for something in particular, i'll almost always be changed to something cheap like Jalco or Joytech for example.
Also they can "order" stuff in from bigger companies, I asked them to order me an Odyssey 1pc 9T Driver and they said come back in a week and it'll be done, went back there and they hadn't even ordered it. How slack?

|

1/13/2011 10:49 AM

Haha Seth I can just see that in my head right now...

bmx_is_rad, that's interesting...for me it was the other way around. Probably because I learned to true in a shop and by the time I wanted to build my own wheel I had trued hundreds, so I had that down pat. Lacing did not come easy for me, but I got it eventually.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 10:50 AM

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Haha thats what fucks me off about my LBS.
The customer is NEVER right.
If you ask for something in particular, i'll almost always be changed to something cheap like Jalco or Joytech for example.
Also they can "order" stuff in from bigger companies, I asked them to order me an Odyssey 1pc 9T Driver and they said come back in a week and it'll be done, went back there and they hadn't even ordered it. How slack?

That's fucking slack.


What does slack mean?

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 10:51 AM

dont know if "bmx is rad" is interested but i can get my hands on a complete matching set of g-sport everything wheels.


G-sport ribcages front and rear
g-sport ratchet rear
g-sport marmoset front
guards for both. !

i could prob get them for 350.00

|

1/13/2011 10:52 AM

JustRideBMX wrote:

I don't have a local BMX shop...But we have a road bike shop that claims they can work on a BMX bike, they sell Haro and Eastern completes. The dude in there tried arguing with me that a half link wouldn't fit on my full link chain. Brought that bitch in, borrowed a breaker and did it right in front of his face.

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Haha thats what fucks me off about my LBS.
The customer is NEVER right.
If you ask for something in particular, i'll almost always be changed to something cheap like Jalco or Joytech for example.
Also they can "order" stuff in from bigger companies, I asked them to order me an Odyssey 1pc 9T Driver and they said come back in a week and it'll be done, went back there and they hadn't even ordered it. How slack?

tibug wrote:

That's fucking slack.


What does slack mean?

means shit i think

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/13/2011 10:53 AM

tibug wrote:

Haha Seth I can just see that in my head right now...

bmx_is_rad, that's interesting...for me it was the other way around. Probably because I learned to true in a shop and by the time I wanted to build my own wheel I had trued hundreds, so I had that down pat. Lacing did not come easy for me, but I got it eventually.

I stole the half link too, the dude didn't even make me pay for it. I didn't say a word, and walked out.

When I walked in an hour later his face was like:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

When I asked for a breaker his face was like:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

When I put it on my chain his face was like:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

When I walked out his face was like:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!


And I ride for my niggas

1/13/2011 10:55 AM

peggiesmalls wrote:

means shit i think

Lazy haha

-CB

|

1/13/2011 10:55 AM

My LBS is owned by Van Homan (2X4). so it's pretty good... I guess.

|

420

1/13/2011 10:56 AM

tibug wrote:

That's fucking slack.


What does slack mean?

peggiesmalls wrote:

means shit i think

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Lazy haha

-CB

lol

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/13/2011 10:56 AM

bmxdadwtp wrote:

dont know if "bmx is rad" is interested but i can get my hands on a complete matching set of g-sport everything wheels.


G-sport ribcages front and rear
g-sport ratchet rear
g-sport marmoset front
guards for both. !

i could prob get them for 350.00

Hmmm!
Sounds sexy!
Depends what happens with this bike im buying bro!

|

1/13/2011 10:56 AM

Dude Seth...that's EXACTLY what went through my mind when I was picturing it.

And the whole time your face was like...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.