Wheel Builds

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2021 5:21 PM

I have seen quite a few comments on this forum of guys/girls venturing into the wheel build game, which is awesome. Besides being able to customize your own wheel (mixing matching hubs rims), it also is a great way to learn maintenance on your kicks. I am in no way a wheel building expert and have not worked in a bike shop, but there are some tips/tricks that I have picked up along the way that make building your wheel a lot easier.

My first wheel took me several hours to build, and I was just super pissed off afterwards, swearing that I would never do it again...now I can lace both rims in my living room while my daughter watches an episode of Teen Titans. It has turned from stressful to therapeutic. So does anyone have any tips/tricks/tools or recommendations for those venturing into wheel building?

I’ll start with my go-to wheel building tool: a precision screwdriver that my company ships with our HomeWorks product line. It serves three functions.

1. The flat-head is thin and small enough to lift the rim strip without damaging it
2. The swivel base on the driver is great for adjusting the nipples prior to tightening with a spoke wrench
3. When installing the rim strip I jam the screwdriver through the rim strip/valve hole to keep the rim strip aligned and stationary

Photo

|

3/23/2021 6:13 PM

It can also serve as a dab tool in between wheel builds

|

My mom thinks I’m special

3/23/2021 6:28 PM

IndianaTom wrote:

During!

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

3/23/2021 6:51 PM

IndianaTom wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

During!

When I first started building wheels: only after
Now: during

|

3/24/2021 3:05 PM

I too just started building my own wheels. Its actually really relaxing. Having a decent wheel jig really makes it easy. I just sit in the loungeroom watching tv doing it of a night.

|

3/24/2021 3:10 PM

Photo

I built these profile elites to g sport ribcages about 1 year ago now. havent had to touch them since
|

3/24/2021 3:11 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

I too just started building my own wheels. Its actually really relaxing. Having a decent wheel jig really makes it easy. I ...more

Been building wheels a long time now and it's still one of my favourite things to do. Just sit down with the components and a pint, and chill out...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/24/2021 3:58 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

I too just started building my own wheels. Its actually really relaxing. Having a decent wheel jig really makes it easy. I ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Been building wheels a long time now and it's still one of my favourite things to do. Just sit down with the components and a ...more

yeah mate defiantly agree with you. Couple beers goes down well whilst building wheels.

got a set of gold profile minis to build just not sure what rims i wanna use

|

3/24/2021 4:01 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Been building wheels a long time now and it's still one of my favourite things to do. Just sit down with the components and a ...more

gun32gtr wrote:

yeah mate defiantly agree with you. Couple beers goes down well whilst building wheels.

got a set of gold profile minis to ...more

That sounds like a solid plan. If you want any recs, I can say enough good things about Federal Stances

|

3/24/2021 5:02 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

gun32gtr wrote:

got a set of gold profile minis to ...more

vagabond wrote:

That sounds like a solid plan. If you want any recs, I can say enough good things about Federal Stances

I was looking into the bondi ECLAT rims as they look very cool. But I also love GSPORT birdcages as well. So many good choices.

|

3/29/2021 1:12 AM

I just have the secret do it for me its cheaper than my local and only 30 mins farther

|

smile