Wheel Lacing/Trueing Question

Related:
Create New Tag

1/1/2014 7:42 PM

So tonight I relaced my Odyssey hazard Lite and Cult match combo with a fresh set of spokes.
this was my first time lacing a wheel myself, & although it was surprisingly easy and fast, I'm a bit worried about riding it straight off the bat, cuz its just barely untrue.
I know ill have to continue to true it for awhile now cuz its a new wheel, but should i take it to my LBS and get it trued for $15??
or wait until i really need it straightened.
I just don't wanna ride it and not be able to fix it later....if that makes any sense at all.
thanks.

|

Insta: @devicacy

1/1/2014 7:43 PM

ride it on flat for the next week, tightening daily, and you will be fine, no need to pay 15 bucks

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/1/2014 7:46 PM

make sure they're tight, they shouldn't be so tight that when you squeeze a cross, they don't move at all. But they shouldn't be loose either. nice & snug with a bit of room to squeeze. Just ride it, the spokes will loosen up in a few days as you ride it, and this will happen the first week or so depending how hard you ride, and just tighten them evenly as needed.

Also, if you take a thicker screw driver through the second cross of the spokes and flex the spokes a bit, all the way around the wheel, it helps set the spokes in some.

|

1/1/2014 7:47 PM

do fakies seem much harder with the match ik its off topic but just curious

|

1/1/2014 8:07 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice

|

1/1/2014 8:12 PM

chad88 wrote:

Yes and no. I learned to fakie with this hub, and i've been riding it pretty much since it came out i think, so I'm used to it.
on the other hand, my friends bidirectional hub is much easier to fakie with.
So, yeah, its probably harder to, but I'm used to it.
But it is really reliable and I haven't had a single problem with it. it is one of the heavier hubs out there tho, if you're a small dude or have a really light front end it might feel off balance or hard to whip.
But if you're getting it for $80 like your thread said, thats a bargain. I'd buy it again for that price.

|

1/1/2014 9:03 PM

chad88 wrote:

Slack can depend on a lot of things, and especially chain tightness and how tight your BB is.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/2/2014 6:24 AM

Just ride it. After a few sessions the spokes will stretch and become loose. Aslong as you tighten them then, everything will be fine.
Most dumbasses hop on a new wheel and think "sweet ill never have to worry again" and then theyre spokes stretch out and they ignore it and keep riding it till the rim is warped, then talk shit about the people who laced their wheel.
Every time you come home after a sesh, check your wheel and see if theyre loose. If so, tighten them. One session on semi-loose spokes wont harm anything.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/2/2014 8:15 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just ride it. After a few sessions the spokes will stretch and become loose. Aslong as you tighten them then, everything will be fine.
Most dumbasses hop on a new wheel and think "sweet ill never have to worry again" and then theyre spokes stretch out and they ignore it and keep riding it till the rim is warped, then talk shit about the people who laced their wheel.
Every time you come home after a sesh, check your wheel and see if theyre loose. If so, tighten them. One session on semi-loose spokes wont harm anything.

haha yeah I know kids who do that.
I check my wheel and tighten spokes on a regular basis as it is. thanks for the tips.

|

1/2/2014 8:30 AM

chad88 wrote:

realityisajoke wrote:

Yes and no. I learned to fakie with this hub, and i've been riding it pretty much since it came out i think, so I'm used to it.
on the other hand, my friends bidirectional hub is much easier to fakie with.
So, yeah, its probably harder to, but I'm used to it.
But it is really reliable and I haven't had a single problem with it. it is one of the heavier hubs out there tho, if you're a small dude or have a really light front end it might feel off balance or hard to whip.
But if you're getting it for $80 like your thread said, thats a bargain. I'd buy it again for that price.

thanks for the info , im leaning toward the ractchet becuase i got light front end and i do alot of manuals and im starting whips

|

1/2/2014 8:40 AM

chad88 wrote:

thanks for the info , im leaning toward the ractchet becuase i got light front end and i do alot of manuals and im starting whips

Hope you enjoy it man, the ratchets a pretty sick hub.

|