Wheel Truing...?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2016 12:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2016 12:41 AM

How long does it usually take a brand new wheel to go from perfectly true to noticeably untrue...where it will obviously hinder riding and you know you will have to either true it yourself or take it in to a bike shop ...?

Does it depend on how hard and long you ride ?

Do the kinds of tricks or drops you do, impact the wheel more to be untrue ? (Riding style/terrain)

Don't really want to learn Truing as I am kind of lazy and it's time consuming. Not only that, the Truing stands are expensive and you will need a work area/table and I really Don't have the money and space for all that.

|

9/21/2016 2:05 AM

If it's built well it won't come out of true from normal riding, ever. However, impacts will take it out of true, and there's no way to know how long that will take

|

9/21/2016 9:20 AM

Would something like tire pressure also impact trueness...? i.e....

more pressure = less impacts to rim = rim stays more true

less pressure = more impacts to rim = rim will go out of true more

|

9/21/2016 9:32 AM

How about side impacts and 'wear & tear' that come directly at the spokes from the side...?

Would these also impact trueness...Therefore...the main reason for running Hub Guards when grinding correct...?

|

9/21/2016 9:45 AM

CHEW BEAR wrote:

Would something like tire pressure also impact trueness...? i.e....

more pressure = less impacts to rim = rim stays more true ...more

impacts dont need to be directly to the rim for it to bend so i dont think tire pressure will affect it, if anything id say more pressure would make it more prone to untrueing

and your second question, yes thats why they use hub guards

|

9/21/2016 9:55 AM

Well if you hit your spokes or rim, that's not normal riding conditions. Technically, I guess you'd be more likely to put a flat spot in your rim at a lower pressure, but you'd still have to case something pretty damn heavily. And flat spots are a real ball ache to get out anyway.
Hitting your spokes while grinding will snap spokes, which will affect the true of the wheel. But just hitting them shouldn't do anything, it's only when they snap, thus lose all their tension.
If you land sideways, or bounce your wheel hard on the ground with lateral force (such as learning 360's or tailwhips), yes that can have a massive impact on how true your wheel will stay.

But a well built wheel with have pre stretched spokes (stretched and bedded in during the build process), with the correct tension. Normal every day riding shouldn't be enough to make a noticeable difference. But as soon as you start doing anything that's putting silly forces on the wheel, they will have a chance of becoming buckled.
Truing, and even building a wheel is really easy when you get your head around it though. And if you run pegs, you should learn to relace spokes, you're almost definitely going to snap a few.

|

9/21/2016 10:42 AM

If you get enough amplitude it can take one case on an air to ruin your wheel

|

9/21/2016 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2016 2:00 PM

You don't need a stand for truing. I just take the tire off, put the wheel back on the bike and put a piece of tape across the chainstays or fork legs, about 1 mm away from the rim, then put marks on the tape with a pen for each side of the rim. Not as precise as a stand maybe, but it works well enough for me, and is cheap enough for anyone to afford.

|

9/21/2016 3:14 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it's built well it won't come out of true from normal riding, ever. However, impacts will take it out of true, and there's ...more

Not completely true. A brand new hub will always cause a wheel to come out of true due to the spokes needing to bed in to the hubshell

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/21/2016 10:28 PM

tbh, more posts aint gonna make you ride any better, get the fuck out there and start riding, you aint gonna notice much when first starting out

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

9/21/2016 10:59 PM

aussiebmxer wrote:

tbh, more posts aint gonna make you ride any better, get the fuck out there and start riding, you aint gonna notice much when ...more

This is also TRU. Very, very TRU.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/22/2016 1:30 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it's built well it won't come out of true from normal riding, ever. However, impacts will take it out of true, and there's ...more

tomdon wrote:

Not completely true. A brand new hub will always cause a wheel to come out of true due to the spokes needing to bed in to the ...more

Hence you bed it in as you build the wheel. I've built literally hundreds of wheels, never once had a customer come back with loose spokes

|