Wheel hop

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2019 8:05 AM

Alright so the wheel is true side to side. But right on the weld it dips down and then goes back up right away, is that caused by the weld? Or is that caused by the spokes? I have got the up and down hop out of everywhere but there it’s like directly on the weld and it’s a gnarly hop

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

2/28/2019 8:08 AM

Sometimes the weld just sucks. Bmx rims can be pretty bad for this.

|

2/28/2019 8:27 AM

Every rim I've ever had, apart from the Alienation Runaway, has had a slight hop at the weld/seam.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/28/2019 10:32 AM

I built a pair of wheels the other day with revenge 22" rims, and the weld on them was all over the place. And a pair with proper rims today that weren't perfect.
My rollcages are pretty smooth, but still noticeable

|

2/28/2019 10:53 AM

oh alright so then I take it it’s probably not the spokes

|

2/28/2019 10:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 11:01 AM

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

It could be the spoke tension. Any more runout than say, the thickness of a sheet of printer paper or runout over an area larger than the distance to the surrounding 2 spokes, is probably a tension problem(unless it's the same on both sides of the rim).

A lot of rims are a little bit stiffer at the weld, which makes it a little harder to true but it's not usually a big difference.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/28/2019 11:42 AM

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

It could be the spoke tension. Any more runout than say, the thickness of a sheet of printer paper or runout over an area larger than the distance to the surrounding 2 spokes, is probably a tension problem(unless it's the same on both sides of the rim).

A lot of rims are a little bit stiffer at the weld, which makes it a little harder to true but it's not usually a big difference.

It’s pretty much not noticeable with a tire on. It’s just with it in the truing stand it’s noticeable. But like I said it’s literally just where the weld is then it goes back

|