Wheel keeps slipping back out of dropout

Related:
Create New Tag

11/1/2017 5:01 PM

I took off my back wheel to put a new tyre on and when I put it back on I can’t seem to put my wheel on properly. I can only put it on with a really slack chain because when I tighten my non drive side to get chain tension it gets to a point that instead on the bolt spinning and tightening it tightens round the axle and axle spins with the bolt and comes out of the dropout on the non drive side and it’s really annoying. How do I make the axel stop spinning?

|

An Indian on a small bike

11/1/2017 5:14 PM

Tighten both at the same time, then when they are both tight, you "should" be able to loosen the drive side to get chain tension where you need it, then crank it down, then do the other side to get the wheel straight in the dropouts.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/1/2017 5:25 PM

Get chain tensioners... they will change your life FOREVER!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/1/2017 6:02 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Get chain tensioners... they will change your life FOREVER!

Haha yes!

The problem is that most chain tensioners won't work with every frame ... I bought a pair of estern tensioners just to find that they won't work with none of 4 frames that I had

Integrated tensioners are the best

|

11/1/2017 6:30 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Get chain tensioners... they will change your life FOREVER!

am-shaegar wrote:

Haha yes!

The problem is that most chain tensioners won't work with every frame ... I bought a pair of estern tensioners just to find that they won't work with none of 4 frames that I had

Integrated tensioners are the best

Yeah integrated chain tensioners are THE BEST! I love them on my Fiend Reynolds they help SOOOOO much... whenever I look at new frames I alway got to make sure they have integrated tensioners becasue it would drive me nuts not having them...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/2/2017 12:23 AM

Tighten one side, force your wheel over, tighten the other side. Repeat until your wheel is where you want it. Check the alignment of everything though. Theres only a few causes for this, too much paint on the dropouts, bent axle, bent dropout, bent frame, or out of dish wheel.

|

11/2/2017 1:01 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Get chain tensioners... they will change your life FOREVER!

Do u know what tensioners would work with my Hoffman Bama?

|

An Indian on a small bike

11/2/2017 1:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Tighten one side, force your wheel over, tighten the other side. Repeat until your wheel is where you want it. Check the alignment of everything though. Theres only a few causes for this, too much paint on the dropouts, bent axle, bent dropout, bent frame, or out of dish wheel.

Thanks Steve. I tried a few things and it ended up working. Tightened these thin bolts on the axle which were a little loose and cleaned up the dropouts and after a bit of fiddling got it working

|

An Indian on a small bike

11/2/2017 1:12 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Get chain tensioners... they will change your life FOREVER!

Ved_goswami wrote:

Do u know what tensioners would work with my Hoffman Bama?

Yeah these here will work Universal Chain Tensioners they just go on the outside of the dropouts and I'm sure you'll figure it out if not I'm sure you can find something on YouTube...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/2/2017 1:16 PM

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/2/2017 2:12 PM

I can’t see the ones on eBay but the ones on danscomp look good. Thanks man

|

An Indian on a small bike

11/4/2017 8:07 AM

Those tensioners wont work well with pegs btw, since itll be like running a spacer between the peg and dropout. A lot of the strength that keeps your peg from bending your axle comes from the peg being seated against the dropout.

I also despise integrated tensioners. The tiny ass bolts that hold them in place strip so easily. I had to drill the bolt out of my old Sunday because it was keeping the tensioner too far in. Pain.

|





11/4/2017 8:43 AM

Tensioners in general probably won't work, as dropouts are too small now.
I've seen a few dropouts snap because of integrated Tensioners

|

11/4/2017 9:53 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Those tensioners wont work well with pegs btw, since itll be like running a spacer between the peg and dropout. A lot of the strength that keeps your peg from bending your axle comes from the peg being seated against the dropout.

I also despise integrated tensioners. The tiny ass bolts that hold them in place strip so easily. I had to drill the bolt out of my old Sunday because it was keeping the tensioner too far in. Pain.

Aw shit. I run pegs. Oh well. I’ll just do without them

|

An Indian on a small bike

11/4/2017 10:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2017 10:30 PM

It's a 4 handed job without a tensioner (you only need one really)... I used to cram a piece of wood in the tire and try to hold it back while tightening both sides. Some hubs really suck,and some dropouts are springier than others

I run a 3/8 female hub now with top hat spacers on the inside, easiest damn thing to set. You want both nuts rubbing the dropouts to hold the axel in place. Like hand tight then back it off just enough to hammer the wheel back. Then you go back and forth until it's locked in place. Find the tight spot in the chain and cram the wheel back before tightening.

|

In midschool bike rides you.