Wheel maintenance?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 10:23 AM

Hey so I recently got a bike and slowly my back wheel has been wobbling more and more. Not too big of a deal at first but now my my back wheel slips a little bit when I land hard and with the slip the wobble hits my frame so now its a problem lol. Besides truing my wheel what can mess with the rotation? And what can I do to prevent slipping?
Thank you

|

9/21/2017 12:19 PM

JamesT wrote:

Hey so I recently got a bike and slowly my back wheel has been wobbling more and more. Not too big of a deal at first but now ...more

I had this as well. The only thing I can think of is the tyre slipping off the rim. If it's not that then I'd tighten your spokes and true the wheel. That's what mine was and the bike felt so much better after

|

An Indian on a small bike

9/21/2017 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2017 12:33 PM

Ok go over the entire back end and tighten every Allen and bolt you see. If it still happens take bike to shop and ask them to true the wheel. If your tire is slipping off your rim you are needing air in your tire. Tire can be run low but should have enough air to hold bead.

|

9/21/2017 2:07 PM

If you mean your wheel is slipping like that axle is moving in the dropouts I suggest getting chaon tensioners.... my frame has integrated chain tensioners and they are AWESOME! You can also go to Dans Comp and order some universal chain tensioners and use those...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/21/2017 3:04 PM

Make sure the bolts that hold the hub on to the axle are tight (just not to tight you want it to spin easly) make sure all of the spokes are tight it's always better tight then loose.

|

9/21/2017 10:58 PM

Sounds like you've fucked the bearings. And by riding it loose you've probably fucked the hub too.

|

9/22/2017 5:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds like you've fucked the bearings. And by riding it loose you've probably fucked the hub too.

^^^^THIS^^^^ is exactly what I was thinking. If you grabs your spokes, say 4 or 5 of them at a time on either side, & kinda "squeeze them" to try to bring your index finger & thumb together & they feel loose, that's probably your problem. If they are good, everything is tight & your tire pressure isn't low, there's really only one other option & that is your bearings.

|

9/23/2017 4:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2017 4:21 AM

Have you tried tightening your cone nuts? That's usually a good place to start. Your spokes sound loose too. Take it to the lbs and see what's up.

|