Wheels

Related:
Create New Tag

5/12/2019 1:10 PM

I'm upgrading my wheels on my bike because unsealed bearings are crap. I need a hub (cassette) spokes, rims, nipples for a bike shop to put together. Spokes+nipples are pretty cheap, but what are the best budget double wall rims and hubs? I will probably get g-sport or alienation rims just because they are really strong, but I don't know what hub to get?

Thanks

|

I like riding my bike.

5/12/2019 1:34 PM

Word of advice.
Don't just look for budget wheels.
Search for sales on good parts.

|

5/12/2019 1:40 PM

I’m actually in the same boat as you, I’m about to order a g sport rib cage laced to an odyssey antigram. I’m getting these because I don’t want to cheap out and bend the rim or break the hub and have to pay to fix it or pay to get new things, so i would definitely recommend just paying for it now instead of regretting not getting it later.

|

5/12/2019 1:46 PM

Depends what you want from your wheels. G sport rims certainly aren’t cheap though. Ribcages on antigrams if you like to grind will be pretty bomb proof. Profile hubs if you want something that’s really easy to find spares for. Or just buy the bsd pro street wheelset as a good cheaper alternative.
If you get alienation rims, get the felon, pretty much the only alienation rims worth spending money on

|

5/12/2019 2:15 PM

Even if you get the absolute best hub, rim, spokes and nipples...it wont matter if you dont keep the spokes tight and the rim true. Don't trust anyone lacing your wheels for you. Learn how tight they should be and check them regularly. If you end up building the wheel yourself, grease the nipple heads and the spoke threads.

|

5/12/2019 2:25 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Ringle-Envy-Lite-BOX-BMX-20-Wheelset-Black-20mm-front-3-th-cassette-16t/352661228454?hash=item521c3f4ba6%3Ag%3AqNUAAOSw4fpc1j8G&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I found a pretty good deal, only problem is that the front axle on that wheel is 20mm while mine is 3/8, which could be fixed by sanding down the axle where it goes into the dropout

|

I like riding my bike.

5/12/2019 5:10 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Ringle-Envy-Lite-BOX-BMX-20-Wheelset-Black-20mm-front-3-th-cassette-16t/352661228454?hash=item521c3f4ba6%3Ag%3AqNUAAOSw4fpc1j8G&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I found a pretty good deal, only problem is that the front axle on that wheel is 20mm while mine is 3/8, which could be fixed by sanding down the axle where it goes into the dropout

Wheelset Black 20mm front 3/th

i read that as front 3/8th -which would be more normal for lightweight wheels like this...

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

5/12/2019 7:39 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

That’s a race wheelset. You won’t want to do anything with those other than racing really. You’d also need a new driver. Chances are your frame won’t accommodate a 44t+ sprocket you’d need to have a decent gear ratio

|

5/14/2019 5:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2019 5:41 PM

I’m still riding my budget Fits and Budget Stolen Revolvers with great luck. Keep the spokes tight and you’ll be fine even with lesser expensive wheels. Also I haven’t had any issues with pinned seems verse welded. Obviously welded is better but the obvious split in my pinned rims hasn’t proven to be an issue as of yet. I bump jump a lot of curbs and case a lot of stair hops...both pinned rims are still holding up. Better than anyone on here led me to believe.

Edit to add; I would never recommend any single wall rim however. Double wall only.

|