Wheelset for son's bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/28/2014 2:24 PM

We bought my son a Diamond Back Viper Jr last year for his birthday. He's wanting a freewheel now to move on and so I'm shopping for a reasonable wheelset. Not junk but not top end either. He's 7 and rides this bike to school and at the local bike parks. I was looking at a set of Guesset Black Dogs and was curious if this would fit the bill. They are around $120 for the set with tape and a freewheel.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
somegeek,

|

8/29/2014 12:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2014 12:15 AM

It sounds pretty reasonable, given that he does put some sort of effort into riding. What you're buying is definitely cheaper, pretty much generic parts, but they'll definitely last him in the long run, assuming he won't be hopping stair sets at every possible chance. However, if it's purely for transportation and if he's not into riding, I'd suggest something a bit cheaper for sure.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/29/2014 6:59 AM

not really worth buying new wheels for a cheap bike but it's up to you.

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

8/29/2014 8:45 AM

Google revenge industries bmx and check out the ohm wheelset , best bang for your buck , it is worth it to get new wheels for it , upgrade parts as they break and wear down , cheap bikes are better for new people to learn on because they aren't ridiculously light and force the rider to build more muscle while progressing

|

8/29/2014 4:04 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Google revenge industries bmx and check out the ohm wheelset , best bang for your buck , it is worth it to get new wheels for it , upgrade parts as they break and wear down , cheap bikes are better for new people to learn on because they aren't ridiculously light and force the rider to build more muscle while progressing

This. ^^^ Spend 120 on a wheel set for him for the next 2 years or so, and by then he'll be ready for a new bike and you'll have some $$$ saved up for a nice one. hes probably still growing too so eventually ull need to get him a new bike, but for right now the wheelset is good option for a quick fix.Also, if he ever wants a new bike any time soon, let him paint his new one and he will feel like its a new bike all over again smile lol the good ol days of being 7. Good luck dude!

|

8/29/2014 4:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies and thanks also for the paint idea!

Also looking at some new pedals for his birthday since the factory ones on his bike are not very grippy. Any suggestions on pedals?

Growing up I was happy with whatever bike I had however seeing how the right bike can allow a ride to better push themselves... I don't want my kid's bike to limit them. smile

somegeek

|

8/29/2014 5:07 PM

Most pedals are pretty much the same unless you are getting metal pedals or some of the newer high end plastic pedals..

Just look for any pedal under $20 really.

BSD came out with a new pedal that has a unique 3 pin setup that apparently lasts longer..
I personally like the Animal Hamilton pedals as here in canada they are $15 compared to the usual $25 and they have a nice amount of grip..

But as he is a beginner I would pretty much suggest any plastic pedal because it should last him a few months and they wont tear apart his shins and cost you all that much.

|

9/2/2014 10:08 AM

Thanks for this, BLVCK! Gonna get him a pair of those Animal Hamilton smoke colored pedals. smile

|

9/2/2014 2:18 PM

somegeek wrote:

Thanks for this, BLVCK! Gonna get him a pair of those Animal Hamilton smoke colored pedals. smile

Some people in my town ran animal Hamilton the plastic ones and they rattle around alot even if they're tight its weird

|

Bang Bang bmx