When do you call 911?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2018 9:20 PM

I have never had to call an ambulance for anyone while riding, but my friends called one for me once two years ago. I put this video up today https://www.ridebmx.com/videos/curtis-cantwells-giant-arch-crash/ and it got me thinking. How are we supposed to know when to call an ambulance? Like they made the right descision for me because i could have been about to die, but getting knocked out riding isn’t super un common, and most the time people just need to go home and chill. Not to mention an ambulance ride and a ct scan are expensive. My trip to the hospital from that crash was $12,000 but they fucked up the billing so i never had to pay. They filed it under a work place accident and tried to get my workers comp to pay for it. Idk why. I’m worried someday i will be on the other side of an accident and i will have to decide if they need emergency help of if we should just wait for them to wake up and take them home. Ideally we would always go to the hospital after a head injurry, but lets be realistic, bmx riders are poor. How can i know whether to call 911 right away or to just wait and let them wake up?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/17/2018 9:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 10:48 PM

Judgement I guess? You were out cold from a big slam, so maybe it just seemed the obvious thing to do at the time?

Edit: actually, I've never even thought about how much it costs to go to hospital, because we have the NHS. But to be honest, you'll either be more concerned for someone's life, or be kind of certain they'd get help paying if they need to? But, even if you had to pay for your visit, it would be better than becoming a vegetable. And think how your friends would feel if they let you get up, and didn't call an ambulance, then you took a turn for the worse

|

9/17/2018 9:32 PM

that is a tough, and really good question. I think this would have to be done on a case-by-case basis. Taking into consideration if a helmet was worn, did their neck bend, how hard they hit, what part of their head was hit, how regular their breathing is etc

|

9/17/2018 9:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 9:39 PM

I'd say to take a first aid course. Not only would it give you a good idea of what to watch out for but also, how to treat a bad injury like that until the ambulance arrives. How the injury is treated between the incident that caused it and arriving at the hospital determines a huge amount of how well and how quickly the person recovers from the injury.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/17/2018 10:13 PM

Ok so lets say you guys are riding with a friend at a park, they go to air a 5’ quater but case and get knocked out. Are you immediately calling an ambulace or will you wait a minute to see if they wake up? If they wake up after a minute would you still tell them to go get checked out?

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/17/2018 10:17 PM

Had one called to come scrape me off the pavement once , luckily never had to call one for anyone yet though , that’s a scary question , I really need to get certified for first aid and cpr one of these days

|

9/17/2018 10:22 PM

Only call if you: know their insurance will cover it, their neck or back are fucked and you can't move them, or if they're dying (you'll know). Besides that if they can move on their own, you have better luck throwing them into the car and driving them yourself to the hospital. Cary a first aid kit.

|

9/18/2018 3:25 AM

You'll most likely be able to tell if someone is suffering enough to need an ambulance...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/18/2018 4:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 4:39 AM

Although I don't have much experience on the matter, from assumption I'd say to mainly, like CAKEWOLF said, consider every aspect of the situation, how it happened, when, where, what safety measures were taken, and see their responses. If they wake up from a hit in the head, see if their motor skills are functional, see if they can talk properly, ask them questions you know they could answer normally. Have precautions such as safety gear, and to take care of yourself and others, know first aid and have a first aid kit. Check how they move based on where they got hit, and just stay with them to fully consider the situation's seriousness.

Cheers! Hope that helps.

|

Everyone has to start somewhere!

9/18/2018 4:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 4:53 AM

You can also move to a country where you don't pay anything when you go to emergencies

|

9/18/2018 4:51 AM

Fatalize wrote:

You can also move to a country where you don't pay anything when you go to emergencies

Before this thread I hadn't thought about this whole thing because we don't have to pay for getting an ambulance in case of emergency, actually even the treatment in the hospital is done with a very small cost to the patient.

|

9/18/2018 5:03 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

Before this thread I hadn't thought about this whole thing because we don't have to pay for getting an ambulance in case of emergency, actually even the treatment in the hospital is done with a very small cost to the patient.

In the UK,it’s costs about £500 to call an ambulance out last time I checked the figures...

I remember a story where someone rang a ambulance out because there hamseter had died-I shit you not.

|

9/18/2018 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 5:09 AM

I've done it once for a friend who cased front wheel airing a quarter. He broke his cheek bone, nose and fractured his skull. I've never seen so much blood. That was an obvious immediate 999 situation. As said before, Europe have got it good. We can phone an ambulance just in case ( EDIT: As Phil points out above, unless it's a dumbass calling for something silly), not as a last resort while worrying about if it'll bankrupt you. They'll come check you over and if you're okay, they'll be on their way. No paperwork or anything.

Just a side note. I noticed your helmet flew off. Strap it on properly.

|

9/18/2018 5:26 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Judgement I guess? You were out cold from a big slam, so maybe it just seemed the obvious thing to do at the time?

Edit: actually, I've never even thought about how much it costs to go to hospital, because we have the NHS. But to be honest, you'll either be more concerned for someone's life, or be kind of certain they'd get help paying if they need to? But, even if you had to pay for your visit, it would be better than becoming a vegetable. And think how your friends would feel if they let you get up, and didn't call an ambulance, then you took a turn for the worse

If you have decent health insurance, you’re not too out of pocket going in to the hospital. My policy, for instance, says that any emergency room visit that ends up with you getting admitted is free. Same for the abulance ride.

What they don’t want is people using the ER for regular care. Those people get hammered on cost.

|

9/18/2018 5:29 AM

Good topic.

Years and years ago, I was cruising around town with a buddy. We were just going from point A to point B, nothing more than just riding.

He hits a pothole and goes OTB. Didn't really think much of it but as we get back going down the road, he keeps saying his stomach hurts. Now, of course my first thought was "walk it off, you're fine" but he was not fine, at all.

We were about 2-3 minutes from another friends house and decided to stop there and let him chill out. My other buddies mother somehow knew there was something wrong with the way he looked and she called an ambulance. Turns out, he ruptured his spleen and could have died if we didn't stop.

Life is crazy.

|

9/18/2018 6:00 AM

jbales wrote:

I've done it once for a friend who cased front wheel airing a quarter. He broke his cheek bone, nose and fractured his skull. I've never seen so much blood. That was an obvious immediate 999 situation. As said before, Europe have got it good. We can phone an ambulance just in case ( EDIT: As Phil points out above, unless it's a dumbass calling for something silly), not as a last resort while worrying about if it'll bankrupt you. They'll come check you over and if you're okay, they'll be on their way. No paperwork or anything.

Man, i will never not get shit on for that crash haha. I did have my helmet strapped! The way i fell made my bars hit my face, which broke my helmets strap. I also think my bars knocked me out before i hit the ground.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/18/2018 6:02 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Man, i will never not get shit on for that crash haha. I did have my helmet strapped! The way i fell made my bars hit my face, which broke my helmets strap. I also think my bars knocked me out before i hit the ground.

Yeah i figured the strap or something broke. I know you're not that dumb to wear a loose helmet lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/18/2018 6:04 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Ahh, do forgive me.

|

9/18/2018 6:04 AM

jbales wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Where did the blood come from on your face (and hands)?

|

9/18/2018 6:05 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Yeah, because uprooting your life is simple....

|

9/18/2018 6:10 AM

On a related but side note, it wouldn't be a bad idea (if you haven't already done so) to learn CPR etc...; Considering the stupidity of what we do, it'd be nice if someone who didn't get knocked out cold knew how to assess a situation & provide assistance if need be.

|

9/18/2018 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 6:55 AM

If someone is turning unnatural colors, they might need an ambulance.

|

9/18/2018 7:18 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Ok so lets say you guys are riding with a friend at a park, they go to air a 5’ quater but case and get knocked out. Are you immediately calling an ambulace or will you wait a minute to see if they wake up? If they wake up after a minute would you still tell them to go get checked out?

In this case, I'd say more than like 45-60 seconds of being knocked out would kinda get me nervous. Of course you look for signs of life like breathing, seizures that kinda stuff. But after a minute of being unconscious I'd get really nervous. I'm not up to date on whether or not a paramedic that comes somewhere and administers care is actually obligated to then transport someone, but I'm fairly sure if you can talk you can refuse an ambulance ride.

But your point about the billing is whats fucked up about all this. You never know when you "just being safe" turns into getting your friend into debt. An ambulance ride in NYC is at least $800. When I broke my leg, I could've easily gotten into a cab and paid like $20 to get me to the hospital.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/18/2018 7:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Where did the blood come from on your face (and hands)?

I think my bar end cut my face a little bit. I also might have had a scab get re opened in the crash, i don’t really remember tbh.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/18/2018 7:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

On a related but side note, it wouldn't be a bad idea (if you haven't already done so) to learn CPR etc...; Considering the stupidity of what we do, it'd be nice if someone who didn't get knocked out cold knew how to assess a situation & provide assistance if need be.

I know CPR, or, i passed the class at least...

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/18/2018 7:24 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

In this case, I'd say more than like 45-60 seconds of being knocked out would kinda get me nervous. Of course you look for signs of life like breathing, seizures that kinda stuff. But after a minute of being unconscious I'd get really nervous. I'm not up to date on whether or not a paramedic that comes somewhere and administers care is actually obligated to then transport someone, but I'm fairly sure if you can talk you can refuse an ambulance ride.

But your point about the billing is whats fucked up about all this. You never know when you "just being safe" turns into getting your friend into debt. An ambulance ride in NYC is at least $800. When I broke my leg, I could've easily gotten into a cab and paid like $20 to get me to the hospital.

Not obliged,but after a head injury 9/10 we would take them to hospital,if it’s a child (under 18) they would be going regardless.

But you can refuse and a parent can refuse if we wanted to take there child also (but that would be referred to child services and opens a huge can of worms)

|

9/18/2018 7:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2018 7:31 AM

philbaines wrote:

Not obliged,but after a head injury 9/10 we would take them to hospital,if it’s a child (under 18) they would be going regardless.

But you can refuse and a parent can refuse if we wanted to take there child also (but that would be referred to child services and opens a huge can of worms)

Yeah for a head injury, even if the person refuses an ambulance, I would always say get checked out immediately after. Concussions are no joke and can really sneak up on you.

We're also at the point now where we know enough about head injuries from football (Handball for you Redcoats) players that they shouldn't be taken lightly.

Also Curtis, I think it's hilarious that they "fucked up the billing" and $12k of medical care magically vanishes. It goes to show how smoke & mirrors the industry is. I dated a girl in medical coding and billing for a while and some of the stories she told me were insane. Even when I had my ankle surgery the doctor said "Through insurance we bill this surgery at $14,500. Since you're paying out of pocket we charge $3,500.

Let's just say when you don't pay your medical bills, it's not necessarily taking the money from anyone's paycheck.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/18/2018 7:30 AM

Everyone around me knows I hate myself and to NOT call an ambulance no matter what.

|

9/18/2018 7:42 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Everyone around me knows I hate myself and to NOT call an ambulance no matter what.

Cause BMX is much more fun than rope.

|

9/18/2018 9:00 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah for a head injury, even if the person refuses an ambulance, I would always say get checked out immediately after. Concussions are no joke and can really sneak up on you.

We're also at the point now where we know enough about head injuries from football (Handball for you Redcoats) players that they shouldn't be taken lightly.

Also Curtis, I think it's hilarious that they "fucked up the billing" and $12k of medical care magically vanishes. It goes to show how smoke & mirrors the industry is. I dated a girl in medical coding and billing for a while and some of the stories she told me were insane. Even when I had my ankle surgery the doctor said "Through insurance we bill this surgery at $14,500. Since you're paying out of pocket we charge $3,500.

Let's just say when you don't pay your medical bills, it's not necessarily taking the money from anyone's paycheck.

Nah we say American Football

|

Hmmm