When do you need to replace a chain?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2013 3:58 AM

I've been riding for about 9 months, and I've never replaced my chain. When are you supposed to replace a chain?

|

7/23/2013 5:47 AM

When it breaks.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/23/2013 11:57 AM

when it stretches out to much it up to you when you when you think it time to change it what chain are you running

|

ride or die

7/23/2013 12:00 PM

when you break it.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/23/2013 1:44 PM

I'm just running a KMC chain; I think it's just one of the cheapo ones, I don't really know. As I said, I've been running the same chain for 9 months, and it creaks like crazy when I pedal, so I'm thinking of getting a new one. It's definately the chain that's creaking; I've pulled it up and down to see how tight it is, and It's creaked then.

|

7/23/2013 1:58 PM

Why don't you try cleaning and relubing it, then tightening up your back wheel a little and see how much of a difference that makes. Lol. That or just buy a new one for $10 at your local Wally World, shorten it and save yourself the trouble. I ride a cheap chain with zero problems as long as I don't tighten it too much or slam it on ledges, so I'm not willing to buy into the half link craze. Just more expensive, harder to work on, possibly not in stock at your LBS, so more of a pain in the ass in my eyes.

|

7/24/2013 2:34 AM

Yeah, I was originally going to get a shadow halflink, but with all the reviews saying how crap they are, with stretching really quickly and breaking 3 blocks away from the bs, I think I'll just get another cheap kmc chain. Thanks havok, I'll clean and relube it and see what happens! Thanks for your help.

|

7/24/2013 2:45 AM

I'm buying the KMC street chain because I snapped my last three kmc and one cult 710 chain.
As for when i buy a new one, when ever i have a old broken one on where it snaps and i replace the link to give it a weeks more but i also have to have money at the time. also it it gets to the stage when it has that many tight spots i will fuck it off and whip kids with it

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/24/2013 5:57 AM

get a kmc dropbuster.. somebody on here actually had one of the links crack thru one plate and he still rode it the rest of the day... and i have had mine for a year and a half and other than cracking masterlinks i have never had a problem with it.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

7/24/2013 6:26 AM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

get a kmc dropbuster.. somebody on here actually had one of the links crack thru one plate and he still rode it the rest of the day... and i have had mine for a year and a half and other than cracking masterlinks i have never had a problem with it.

can you drop me a link to one. buying my next lot of parts from empire so the street one is ideal for me and its only $16.00

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/24/2013 6:30 AM

-Havok- wrote:

Why don't you try cleaning and relubing it, then tightening up your back wheel a little and see how much of a difference that makes. Lol. That or just buy a new one for $10 at your local Wally World, shorten it and save yourself the trouble. I ride a cheap chain with zero problems as long as I don't tighten it too much or slam it on ledges, so I'm not willing to buy into the half link craze. Just more expensive, harder to work on, possibly not in stock at your LBS, so more of a pain in the ass in my eyes.

Half links suck. I liked them at first, but the plates kept popping off the end of the pins. My driveline was straight, and sprocket isn't bent. I think the plates tend to straighten under load.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/24/2013 8:25 AM

If they mad the half links less half ass they would work fine

But I have yet to see one made right and by right I mean thick as fuck plates and better pin design

Far as regular chains go the kmc Kool chain is one of the best, I like my fly tractor chain it's held up nice for me so far, also whipperman chains are nice as well

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/24/2013 11:11 AM

When the links start to come apart....or when you blow out your knee on your stem when your chain snaps

|

7/24/2013 11:21 AM

clean the damn chain. and if you do buy a chain dont buy the shadow. it gets boring real fast.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/24/2013 11:51 AM

I've rode a KMC 510HX Dropbuster chain for almost 2 years ago and I relubed it and everything and then the final couple weeks, I couldn't get it any possibly tighter and the links were all loose so I slapped on a cheap KMC 410 Z chain and it was way tighter so there.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/25/2013 12:10 AM

I finally broke down and bought a new cheap chain like 6 months ago after riding one for probably 3 years. I used to snap it almost daily at the local skateparks. It had 7 master links and like 5 different chains put together(that were also different colors). Lol. I got tired of wasting money on links so I just started taking tools with me and knocking the pins out and putting it back together every time, but I just figured I might as well get a new one and save myself the hassle.

|

7/25/2013 12:34 AM

ive had a cheap kmc chain for awhile till I traded a friend frames...now I got some shitty rusty one on this frame till I get the money for another kmc

|

Don't tell me how to live my life!

I failed the life test...

7/25/2013 8:57 AM

I used to go til it was done, but now I have realized that you should when you change your sprocket and or driver. The old chain will be stretched out and wear the sprocket and driver to the stretched chain, and tossing a new chain on it will stretch and wear it just like the old one, just a heck of a lot faster.

Maybe get into a habit (especially if you are prone to casing and clipping it or grind drive side) of a new chain every like 3-6 months.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/25/2013 9:26 AM

at 1% stretch a chain is considered worn out

|

I'm on the vital legit list!