When i tighten my back wheel, it gets very hard to pedal, and my driver gets very tight.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2020 6:11 AM

So i have the WTP Helix freecoaster. Today i took it out of the frame to replace some spokes.
When i was done i put the wheel back on. But now when i tighten it, it gets very hard to pedal.
The chain is still medium lose and the hubguards sit perfectly fine, everything is as it used to, but idk why but i just cant tighten it without it being almost impossible to turn the pedals.

|

10/17/2020 9:06 AM

I'd take my wheel out, use an allen wrench to keep the axle from moving and check if driver and oppo side bolts are tight. Something may be rotating as you tighten your wheel.

|

10/17/2020 10:53 AM

Do you have the right width chain? Is your chain stretched? You may need to replace it...

|

10/17/2020 12:07 PM

Make sure your lock nuts on either sides of the hub aren’t too tight. They should be just snug, not overly tight.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/18/2020 3:47 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Make sure your lock nuts on either sides of the hub aren’t too tight. They should be just snug, not overly tight.

This sounds about right. My eclat hub (female 14mm) used a cone spacer instead of a locknut to space the driver out, over years of running it the center axle sank itself into the cone spacer slightly and I had the same thing happen with the driver. I ended up filing down this little shelf on the driver slightly till I had the right clearances and everything was fine. Just look closely at what’s keeping your frame from squeezing everything together and make it function right

|