When the pressure is on..

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2018 8:36 PM

As a bmx rider for fun and not competitive, how does this new style of bmx frames with super short back ends compare to regular riding and with competitive riding when the pressure is on? Of the many years I have been on bmx bikes, I have noticed that there is quite a difference between when I do a self bmx session than when a bunch of other bmx friends are all stoked up.. especially when you are in the spot light. For some reason I am thinking when under pressure, even if handled well.. your bike feels twice as light and lots of other factors, like for me my bike feels light and my frame feels a whole half inch shorter all around sometimes, which leads me to a next question... Do alot of pro's run 21" top tubes for extra room despite the height/frame size charts? Understanding personal preference is always a given in this sport, but the tradition of shorter rear ends of frames is becoming a pretty sharp trend. I've had similar topics of short chainstay frames in the past but I was just wondering if all and all it is worth it because sometimes my 13.75 CS feels long, but other times during a pressured session it feels shorter, making it easier to loop out of manuals and etc. , or maybe some just handle being under pressure better than others I guess, I was always sorta bad at being under pressure.

|

7/16/2018 11:30 PM

I think that's just to do with whether you're having a good day or bad day. Sometimes (especially recently) I feel like I can't pull anything and everything takes longer to get done. Other times I just feel more awake and keen to ride and things come easier. Plus getting stoked in a group, all the positivity in the air will get you going. Riding is mostly a confidence thing, so if you're in the right frame of mind, everything will feel easier.
I'm actually debating getting longer chainstays because I feel like I've lost hop height. I just feel like I'm going to loop out when I try too hard, yet frames I had in the past with longer chainstays I could hop high consistently (I used to have a pretty impressive hop, now it's just kinda meh).
I don't like the heat though, and I'm getting old. So it could just be that.

|

7/17/2018 3:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think that's just to do with whether you're having a good day or bad day. Sometimes (especially recently) I feel like I ...more

I feel the same way about hops on my old frame (CS was 13.75"-14.5"). Hops felt a lot more comfortable, higher and easier...

The funny thing is my new frame is technically longer, but the CS is shorter and the TT is longer.

|

7/17/2018 4:03 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think that's just to do with whether you're having a good day or bad day. Sometimes (especially recently) I feel like I ...more

Bryan91 wrote:

I feel the same way about hops on my old frame (CS was 13.75"-14.5"). Hops felt a lot more comfortable, higher and easier...
...more

Yep, on my pbr (14" chainstays) with slam bars (8" rise) I could hop bar height without trying, and could hop a full size cone fairly comfortably (they're about 6" higher than my bar height was) although that was like 13 years ago, when I was at my prime. Now I feel like I can't pull up as far and actually struggle to get near bar height. Really tempted to get something with a longer chainstay, but also really like everything else about how my bike is set up now. Although, the pbr had a 11.8 high bb, and my current frame is 11.625. I'm pretty sure that affects it too. I could definitely hop higher when I had a cult osv3 (13.75 chainstays, 11.75 high bb)

|

7/17/2018 5:11 AM

Most riders that ride longer back ends ride ramps where it helps launch higher

|

7/17/2018 6:28 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This.

I am more motivated to shake off the cobwebs on stuff when I have a good session with homies VS when I ride solo. Although if I am on a filming mission that can motivate me some too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/17/2018 3:39 PM

Well if anyone has ridden in PA the weather is just crazy bipolar changes all the time, so I have actually even thought that not only if I am feeling good or bad on my bike on any given day.. but if the barometric pressure is high or low. Like sometimes I ride better with super high tire pressure but other times it weighs me down, but rather than obvious weather 'wind, humidity, temp, etc.,' I do think barometric pressure has a lot to do with it, lol and no that is not what I meant when I titled this thread.

|

7/17/2018 5:35 PM

I just went from a longer frame to a shorter frame , makes spins and flips come around allot easier , but of a struggle at first to not over rotate flips

|