When will there be cranks with plastic sleeves?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2021 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 12:23 PM

People would be cracked at crank slides. I mean there's hub guards, pegs, barends, sprockets.

|

2/19/2021 12:36 PM

Hopefully never

|

2/19/2021 12:41 PM

As soon as sleeves for tires come out, crank sleeves will soon follow.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/19/2021 12:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 12:46 PM

how would a sleeve for a crank work?

i picture it covering from the top of the pedal boss to the bottom of the compression bolt but you don't tighten anything in that area so the sleeve would either be too tight to slide over the pedal boss or be too loose and be wobbling around a lot

unless it came factory wrapped in plastic but what happens when it cracks or wears, then you would be stuck
or if they cut holes for the pedal, then you can slide it on but i feel like around the pedal area would deal with a lot of cracking fairly quickly

|

2/19/2021 1:00 PM

As soon as they make sleeves for skateboard trucks... Oh wait, scratch that...

|

2/19/2021 1:14 PM

They have rubber/silicone sleeves for mtb cranks. So not really as out there as you would think. Could be the next big thing.

|

2/19/2021 1:14 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

No need for that since there are full plastic trucks! 😂

|

2/19/2021 1:40 PM

Nope, it would be too slippery, anyone who have ever tried to crankarm a rail on a rainy day knows it’s a bad idea.

|

2/19/2021 1:51 PM

I put grip tape on mine... so i guess that defeats the purpose

|

Husky Nation Member

2/19/2021 1:51 PM

I’ve had this idea for years. Nobody takes me seriously. It would be stupid, very very very veryveryveyrverrrrry stupid. But people would buy it. Like plastic sprocket guards. How fucking moronic are those? Yet people buy them.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/19/2021 2:39 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Plastic sidewalks are the future bro

|

2/19/2021 2:45 PM

Maaaan the companies are not telling this, but they are working on 100% plastic bikes.

|

2/19/2021 2:46 PM

i need grip sleeves

|

2/19/2021 3:04 PM

I'm with ready on this one. Waiting.

|

2/19/2021 3:07 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Aren’t tires just rim sleeves

|

smile

2/19/2021 3:10 PM

readybmxer wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Aren't rims spoke sleeve's? And aren't spokes hub sleeve's? And aren't hubs bearing sleeve's? And aren't bearings ball sleeve's?

|

2/19/2021 3:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 3:14 PM

readybmxer wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Pfft no, they're are not plastic, can only be plastic to be considered a sleeve. Jeez.

If anything they're more like jumpers for rims to keep them warm.

|

2/19/2021 4:13 PM

I wish they’d make steel sleeves for plastic pegs so I could grind concrete better

|

2/19/2021 4:16 PM

Such a stupid idea, sadly I could see it catching on

|

Yep listening to nothing, taking no suggestions
Or destructive criticisms, that can't improve on perfection

2/19/2021 4:17 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Hiro wrote:

When we rode this shit, you dad was probably still in diapers... Photo

|

2/19/2021 4:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 4:40 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Hiro wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

1987 Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp street deck. Been there, skated that. Btw... Who made those trucks with the roller down the center? We need to adapt that to some crank arms. Better yet, we need Bluetooth quick release 2 piece spindles so you can hit a button by your grip and do crankflips on only ONE SIDE.

|

2/19/2021 4:41 PM

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

1987 Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp street deck. Been there, skated that. Btw... Who made those trucks with the roller down the center? We need to adapt that to some crank arms. Better yet, we need Bluetooth quick release 2 piece spindles so you can hit a button by your grip and do crankflips on only ONE SIDE.

I remember every edition, more of the wall would be broken and you could see more and more of the face... I still have a poster the Rob autographed..

|

2/19/2021 5:22 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I remember every edition, more of the wall would be broken and you could see more and more of the face... I still have a poster the Rob autographed..

I don’t want to tangent, but it wouldn’t be the first time on this forum. I talked with a marketing manager at Powell peralta about collabs (I really want a skull and sword seat even since I posted that). The guy really seemed not interested and did a pretty good job tactfully telling me to fuck off...so he will probably pitch it at his next team meeting and claim it was all his idea.

|

2/19/2021 5:31 PM

It's so freakin' awesome to have peeps with memories from the old days who are still at it. Just wanted to say that. It's inspiring.

|

2/19/2021 7:29 PM

Somebody forgot to take their ritalin

|

2/20/2021 1:51 AM

If people buy useless garbage like bar pads, surely some would buy semi-useless shit like crank sleeves

|

2/20/2021 5:01 AM

I've actually thought about this idea also... I remember Steve talking about how certain cranks (Thunderbolts) can have the welds ground down from doing a lot of crank arm grinds.

My initial idea was to just have a replaceable plastic sleeve that would be installed with the pedal off and then kept on by putting the pedal back on. The fitment would also be tight and formed around the individual crank arm like how a pistol goes/ snaps into a kydex holster. The main idea being to protect the welds.

|

2/20/2021 9:54 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I've actually thought about this idea also... I remember Steve talking about how certain cranks (Thunderbolts) can have the welds ground down from doing a lot of crank arm grinds.

My initial idea was to just have a replaceable plastic sleeve that would be installed with the pedal off and then kept on by putting the pedal back on. The fitment would also be tight and formed around the individual crank arm like how a pistol goes/ snaps into a kydex holster. The main idea being to protect the welds.

It's not a bad idea. People hate change. Thanks for bringing some brains to the conversation.

|

2/20/2021 9:58 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

zeroesrepeat wrote:

It's not a bad idea. People hate change. Thanks for bringing some brains to the conversation.

It really isn't.

|

2/20/2021 4:46 PM

I mean, there's been dumber ideas... anyone remember Season Bikes and their grip tape cranks? You know, cause landing cranks feels great. In theory just do the same thing for plastic sleeves, a few holes on each side of the crank in the same spot as the grip tape is where a plastic sleeve bolts onto the crank arm on each side for maximum life. A fully wrap around sleeve bolted in the same manner would work, but you probably run into clearance issues for the chainstay or your foot... Kids who can't even crank arm would eat that shit up just because it's trendy.

Photo

|