Where can I buy a bmx bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2016 10:27 AM

So I've had bikes all my life but never really got into the bmx scene. Now that I'm older (18) I want to try something new so I thought about getting a bmx bike. The problem is I have no idea where to get one. Every bike store I go to says they only sell mountain bikes. I even tried looking online but I ended up on Walmart.com . LOL. Is there any good webs sites I can go on to buy one?? Please help

|

12/15/2016 10:30 AM

Danscomp, albes, empire, cheapgoods, there's plenty more too. What's your budget?

|

12/15/2016 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2016 10:50 AM

All those are good. Dont go anywhere else for a new complete, if your in the u.s. Danscomp has never steered me wrong

|

12/15/2016 11:03 AM

Thank guys! My budget is about $400. I'd rather buy a complete bike and another problem I have is what size bike I should get. I'm about 5'11.

|

12/15/2016 11:43 AM

20.75-21"

|

12/15/2016 3:12 PM

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing: it will determine how the bike handles, and certain geometry fits certain styles better than others

-TT length will be the main way you "fit" yourself to the bike: GGallin mentioned 20.75-21, which is about right for your height
-HT angle will determine how slack the bike feels whne you are on it...how much it "leans back" for lack of a better description
-the shorter the chain stay, the more twitchy it will feel...the longer, the more stable it will feel...
-others can comment on standover height since I still don't get the differences there. I haven't ridden enough bikes with different stand over height to notice
- handlebar height, reach, upsweep etc will effect how it steers, and you pull up for jumps.bunny hops

pretty much from company to company, the complete bikes are the same within price points...i.e. a $400 Sunday is roughly the same as a $400 Subrosa or $400 Fit.

Some recent good deals:

1. Colony Endeavor - $500 (?) - for the price you get full chromoly everything plus some decent parts
2. Mongoose Mode 900 - $200ish really good steal for the price in that you get a full chromoly skeleton; the parts are not as good as the endeavor, but you will change them out as they break anyways.

I personally like Verde, WeThePeople and Sunday bikes in general....and I would rather spend extra on a bike with a strong skeleton so tha tI get a better return on my investment I am not one of those Fat Cats who can buy a new bike every 6 months...I am a poor old punker and want my bike to last

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/15/2016 4:12 PM

If you can bump your budget up to $500, get the subrosa letum. It has a 20.75 top tube, full chromoly frame, and 4 pegs. If I was getting another complete, I'd get that.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

12/17/2016 10:24 AM

Once again I want to say thank you. I'm trying to figure what size I should get. 20.75 or 21?? Im scared it might be small or to big but I have no way of actually sizing myself. Do people usually get a smaller size??

|

12/17/2016 11:26 AM

I'd go larger. you can always get a shorter stem or pull the bars back a tad.

I find a bit more room makes the bike ride better.

I'm 5'8" and ride a 21.125 frame.

|

12/17/2016 12:15 PM

JamInACan12 wrote:

So I've had bikes all my life but never really got into the bmx scene. Now that I'm older (18) I want to try something new so ...more

Danscomp, no question, and sign up for their Rewards program.

|

12/17/2016 6:07 PM

|

12/17/2016 7:12 PM

I like your interest in BMX bike, 3 years I also searching for similar bike for myself. You can find it over internet with all features and specification you are looking. But keep in mind about the reputation and popularity of website. And most important have a eye watch on reviews about product and site.

|

12/17/2016 7:15 PM

The dk x is on sale for $400 down from $600. Thats what i would get. Yeah the fly is fine too

|