Where to find a TALLER fork? And other ways to alleviate back pain/give space for barspins.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2016 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2016 4:25 PM

Before anyone starts busting on me for my set up (big bars are for trend whores, anyone?) I'd like to make it clear I am 6' 4'' and a good sesh typically makes my lower back feel like I've been put in a medieval torture device. I'm wondering how I can mitigate this. I need some suggestions and also thoughts on some of the ideas I already have. Being able to add more spacers to a longer fork to make bars taller would be great too. However, I don't know if this is even possible.

I also feel too crammed to learn barspins.

My current setup:

Frame:
21'' TT
HT Angle - 75 degrees
ST Angle - 71 degrees

Bars:
10'' Rise
28'' Wide

Stem: (topload)
52mm reach
33mm Stack Height

Spacers: (under stem)
Maxed out (half inch I think. Don't have bike atm)

Cranks:
175mm

What I'm thinking of changing to:

Frame:
21.5'' TT (.5'' longer)
HT Angle - 75 degrees
ST Angle - 71 degrees

Stem: (topload)
Longer than 52mm and preferably higher than 33mm stack (Help. Post links to said stems)

Cranks:
165mm (10mm shorter)

Bars:
27'' wide (1 inch less)
11 inch rise seems hilarious and I probably won't take that route. I'm sure it would do wonders for my back though.

Your feedback is appreciated! I love bmx but it's getting super demotivating to go out and ride! Please help!

|

8/21/2016 4:52 PM

Sending your bars forward will only hurt what you are trying to accomplish. Try a shorter reach stem. Itll bring the bars closer to your body and keep you from being so hunched over.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

8/21/2016 5:28 PM

Check out my Bike Check homie.

S&M's Widemouth XL (172mm steerer tube) is the longest steerer tube I can think of, but I can almost remember another being 174-ish...?

Profile makes both the Medera Mast stem (max 54mm reach, 35mm rise & 33mm stack height) and the Profile Push stem (max 63mm reach, 31.7mm rise & 33mm stack height). The other stems on the market that have a couple mm's more of stack height and rise only have a 49-50mm reach...

David Grant is 6'5" and rides his set-up close to mine, but I'm only 6'3". He did say he would eventually like to try a longer TT.

The question is are you willing to spend $70 on a stem that will give you 2-12mm of more reach, or $125 on a fork that gives you anywhere from 8-12mm more rise?

If it was me and I had your current set-up, I would first want a longer frame (21.5", 21.6", or 22" TT). After that would be Elevenz if you already have quality forks and still need more rise. If not and you need new forks go with the Widemouth XL.

|

8/21/2016 5:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2016 5:37 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Sending your bars forward will only hurt what you are trying to accomplish. Try a shorter reach stem. Itll bring the bars ...more

6'4" on a 21"tt and you want him to move his bars back?

There's a reason why pro riders over 6'2" have 55mm reach stems and bars straight up and down, or slightly forward... "Leg Clearance"

Also OP, have you ever drank Baileys from a shoe?

|

8/21/2016 5:43 PM

The only time I ever got back pain like that was when my bars were a little too small. I added bigger bars and it made it better but not perfect. I took 4mm off my reach and problem was solved. Obviously that worked for me so I though I would share. Lower back was from being hunched over. Grab something then grab something slightly farther away without moving your feet and you will see the same effect.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

8/21/2016 6:15 PM

Word, that does make sense, but I'm sure your frame, bar and stem combo was pretty close to being dialed for your size. Would you make that same adjustment if you rode a 20.75" instead of your 21.25" frame?

Anyway, I didn't mean to reply that in "some type of way". I just know that personally moving my bars back would give up precious leg space that I would rather have.

|

8/21/2016 6:20 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Word, that does make sense, but I'm sure your frame, bar and stem combo was pretty close to being dialed for your size. Would ...more

Really depends on what you want. Less back pain or leg room for bar spins?

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

8/21/2016 6:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2016 6:54 PM

I'm not talking about bar spins... I'm talking about how close your knee and leg is to your bars when just pedaling and hoping over/ up something.

The taller you are the closer your knees are to the bars on a smaller frame... Some people don't mind, but for me there is nothing worse than putting all of your energy to hop over something, only to put all of that force into the bars with your knee.

Hence the longer frames, taller bars and longer reach stems.

Moving my bars forward and getting a longer reach stem, didn't effect anything other than having more room.

|

8/21/2016 10:58 PM

WTP Switch forks are dope

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/21/2016 11:23 PM

Get a longer frame, that's all you need. I found 9" bars too big (I'm 6') and they made no difference to my back whatsoever (probably made it worse in fact as I found it harder to balance manuals etc). You want more leg room, and more clearance for bars, a longer frame will do both, and put you in a more natural riding position which would probably help your back a lot too (more so than higher bars).

As for angling your bars back a bit, that would help with bars, as the bars won't be as close to you when they're spinning/the wrong way around

|

8/22/2016 2:51 AM

I actually took time to read this and you're pretty maxed out on bars but you can always go for S&M Elevenz or I think they make 12's now ... for stems get a Fit stem , forgot the name but the V2 is cold forged and pretty cheap money wise , and it'll raise your bars . I rode a BF stem courtesy of Transition and it was a sick stem !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/22/2016 5:48 AM

doing proper stretching will help more than new bars/frame

|

It’s all bmx

8/22/2016 6:23 AM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Sending your bars forward will only hurt what you are trying to accomplish. Try a shorter reach stem. Itll bring the bars ...more

Im 6'4, ride a 21,25 frame , 10 in rise bars /30 1/2 wide with a 50mm stem reach around 30 rise. If the setup you have now is to small, best option is a longer frame. 165mm cranks wont do much, I had 165 and my foot would slip forwards a lot, on 170s now however, the difference is very small and its not going to give more room for barspins..etc. The 11 rise bars actually feel really good as I have them to and run it with my front load stems stems. While you think they are funny, theyre actually very beneficial..

No idea what forks ya run but mine range from 162-170mm on the steerer tube, going longer is something I wouldnt suggest with what ya have for a big difference.

Everything is preference to each ridier, I used to ride 21.5 frames but being more tech, Ive started going shorter and soon Ill be back on a 21tt. Finding what works best will take time but from your description, longer frame would be beneficial.

You could try a longer stem, I did however it wasnt really much of a difference.

Barspins will be a technique to learn as being so stall on shorter frames, you will have to lean back but also over the bars/bike..

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/22/2016 2:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2016 2:29 PM

6'4 i ride 10 inch bars, 21tt , deco fu fork 315mm with 35mm rise madera mast stem with 55mm reach, its actually too tall now for me i want a longer frame and shorter stem possibly 9.5 rise bars now lol i only went with the longer stem for knee room

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

8/22/2016 4:13 PM

It varies person to person. Is it your lower back or middle or upper?

If lower, you MIGHT be stretched out too far and reaching more (could also be a lack of core strength-which is mostly what I had issues with).

One thing I would suggest is play with your bar position a little. Move them a little forward and ride for a session (assuming they aren't straight up and down already of course-don't go much past that marker if you can avoid it). It's free and might give you an idea of the CORRECT direction to go. See if a buddy has taller bars or smaller that you can try. Same with stems. Another free way to see what might help. I suggest this over spending money right away PURELY because taller stems and taller bars MIGHT be part of the issue, and make it worse.

I had lower back issues, and went from a 21 to a 20.75 and moved my bars a tad forward and also went from 8.5 to 9 rise. Went from a front load to a super old Shadow top load. So I went up and the frame helped bring them in a tad. Then rode, and it was decent, but not quite right. I then moved them SLIGHTLY forward, which from my previous setup has them up around 1/2-3/4 an inch and probably, and in a similar spot from where they were before. No more back issues so quick-it takes a pretty long session HEAVY with manuals to get me sore now.

Again a LOT of that can be attributed to my core strength being better than it was when I had major back issues. I would suggest consulting a Chiropractor for the most sound advice-just make sure they know that you won't be stopping, you are just looking to relieve pain/prolong yourself with riding.

Core strength a HUGE factor with lower back pain. And not just your abs. Back muscles, sides and so on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/29/2016 10:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2016 2:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!
OK (now that im back from vacation)

DEFINITELY getting a 21.5 frame

BUT MY CHAINSTAY ON MY 21'' FRAME IS 13.5-75 AND ALL THE 21.5 INCH FRAME OPTIONS (S&M, FIT, ETC.) WANT TO SHORTEN IT BY .25 INCHES. IM WORRIED IT WILL MAKE MANUALS TOO TWITCHY. PLEASE OFFER INSIGHT.

My current fork is already 166mm. An xl at 172mm seems pretty negligible I'll wait on that one

Crossbar to 11nz isnt any bigger than my 10s, so ill make the jump. only 5.5 extra oz (going from 9'' bars to 10'' also made manuals way easier for me, and most people would agree. (Found it weird grumpy steve said bigger bars made manuals more difficult for him)

AS FAR AS STEMS - Having a hard time understanding the difference between rise and stack height. I would think rise would be the actual height of the stem, and stack height would have something to do with the spacers below it. Someone help me out with this one.

|