Where to find threaded cable guides?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/6/2018 7:50 PM

Hey guys, bought a new frame that doesn't have a welded cable guide on the underside of the top tube. I was wondering if any of you happened to know where I could find one that Photo is threaded with the little guide mounts. I already looked and the only one I found was in a whole brake kit which I don't need.
Thank you!

|

10/6/2018 7:59 PM

Gyro tabs fit, you can buy em on ebay pretty cheap, and they come as a pair, so you'll have a spare one

|

10/6/2018 8:08 PM

I was thinking about using one. How do I get that threaded bolt to fit though?

|

10/6/2018 8:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2018 8:39 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

I was thinking about using one. How do I get that threaded bolt to fit though?

What do you mean?

Just buy a gyro tab and get a barrel adjuster, you probably have one off your old frame!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/6/2018 8:43 PM

Oh, so the frame doesn't have a lug to bolt it to? Hmmmm. Do you need a cable stop, or just a guide? The only way you can get a cable stop really is to have one welded on. If it's just the guide you're missing, just use a zip tie, or something.

Actually, if you've got chainstay brakes, and the chainstays are long enough, you could drill a hole through the seat tube, put the barrel adjuster there, and have your yoke/straddle cable the other side of the seat tube. It's a very tight fit for chainstays shorter than 14" though

|

10/6/2018 8:46 PM

Here is a picture of where the guide screws in. You think that a regular gyro tab will work? Photo

|

10/6/2018 8:47 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Here is a picture of where the guide screws in. You think that a regular gyro tab will work? Photo

Yes.

|

10/6/2018 8:49 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

Yes.

Ok. I have the cable stop screw, so I suppose that the screw threads into the gyro tab and everything should work?

|

10/6/2018 8:52 PM

Yeah, just bolt the gyro tab on, then put the barrel adjuster in

|

10/6/2018 8:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, just bolt the gyro tab on, then put the barrel adjuster in

Thank you Steve, love how helpful you are. I am going on eBay and ordering a set of tabs. Thanks!
-Evan

|

10/6/2018 9:03 PM

Ha, I almost bought this exact frame on the museum. Ended up buying other stuff from the same seller.

|

10/6/2018 9:05 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Ha, I almost bought this exact frame on the museum. Ended up buying other stuff from the same seller.

No way! I decided to go with it man, Mid school Volume frames look fresh as hell!

|

10/6/2018 9:54 PM

If you want to use a gyro and run dual cables buy one of these if you can find it Photo

|

10/6/2018 10:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2018 10:05 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

If you want to use a gyro and run dual cables buy one of these if you can find it Photo

Yeah dual cables or go home lets be realcool

But I believe this guy is using standard y-cables...

|

10/6/2018 10:17 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah dual cables or go home lets be realcool

But I believe this guy is using standard y-cables...

Drill a hole in your seat tube and bolt a London mod to it, let’s be real. Far too much inner cable showing otherwise. Better still, drill two holes and use flexible brake noodles as cable guides.

|

10/7/2018 8:50 AM

jbales wrote:

Drill a hole in your seat tube and bolt a London mod to it, let’s be real. Far too much inner cable showing otherwise. Better still, drill two holes and use flexible brake noodles as cable guides.

That would be cool! I've got alot of inner cable showing... but that's just less friction right? Lol

|

10/7/2018 10:09 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That would be cool! I've got alot of inner cable showing... but that's just less friction right? Lol

Minimal, lol. Years ago, I came up with this and it worked great. Best working brakes I ever had.

Photo

|

10/7/2018 10:22 AM

jbales wrote:

Minimal, lol. Years ago, I came up with this and it worked great. Best working brakes I ever had.

Photo

So the cable overlaps the other cable?

|

10/7/2018 10:25 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

So the cable overlaps the other cable?

Yeah they cross over for a much better pull on the arms.

|

10/7/2018 10:38 AM

Pretty cool setup man! I like that design

|

10/7/2018 10:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2018 10:58 AM

jbales wrote:

Photo

I've never thought about this but now that I see it, this seems like the obvious setup for brakes. If I had brakes I would go set them up like this immediatelygrin

|

10/7/2018 11:11 AM

Rabbe wrote:

I've never thought about this but now that I see it, this seems like the obvious setup for brakes. If I had brakes I would go set them up like this immediatelygrin

Patent pending.. Lol laughing

|

10/7/2018 2:24 PM

I actually tack welded a nut that is the same thread pitch as the barrel adjuster onto my frame. Works like a dream and it cost me nothing.

|

10/7/2018 6:28 PM

Good idea. I was thinking about doing that but I will just ya a gyro tab instead since the mounting holes are already there.

|