Which Complete???

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2016 11:29 PM

I'd like to hear opinions on which complete you would choose and why.
Personally I'm leaning towards the Subrosa because of quality of specific parts. I do like the Trans Slimer Sunder though. Anyways , thoughts?

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/24/2016 11:38 PM

Also, how about those 2016 Easterns? Natural and Shovelhead.

|

1/25/2016 12:59 AM

You can build a custom better than those and you'll feel better knowing you choose each part you want.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/25/2016 2:53 AM

Do you want a free coaster or cassete? The subrosa is a cassete while the sunday broadcaster is a freecoaster. That should be a big factor in your decision.

|

1/25/2016 12:07 PM

Mike has been riding longer than most on here (something like what, 15ish years?) so I know he knows about the custom VS complete side.

If they are all chromo and sealed bearings and double wall rims, I would go with the best sizing/geo of your preference.

I dig the Slimer Green though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 2:31 PM

Thanks Dave. And yes, I'm aware of the benefits of building a complete custom but I'm looking to save a little money and still have a quality ride. I could easily spend about 1300 or so on a custom build but this year I'm looking to spend 800 max and only replace one or two critical parts to my liking, which would be custom wheels most likely. Plus using DANS I can save 100 to 200 on a top tier complete while earning rewards in the process. Why everyone does not buy from DANS, I'll never understand.

Custom is not always the most efficient way of building a bike.

|

1/25/2016 2:54 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Thanks Dave. And yes, I'm aware of the benefits of building a complete custom but I'm looking to save a little money and still ...more

Their customer service has gone down some, and seeing Albes post on here and ACTUALLY helping people because it is the right thing to do (in one case they helped a kid with spokes, and sent a couple to him from what I saw), and just having more than an "Online store" representation.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 3:06 PM

I really like the Sunday Ross complete. Comes with Thunderbolts so that's one less thing to buy in the future.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/25/2016 4:18 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Thanks Dave. And yes, I'm aware of the benefits of building a complete custom but I'm looking to save a little money and still ...more

Dans is an amazing store no question about it. Some people though may choose to shop at other stores, because they have a connection with them or want to help support that store.

I have ordered from Dans and Albes; I've also contacted them for customer service too of course and both have satisfied me with their service. However, I almost exclusively buy from EmpireBMX whenever I can and I can tell you my reasons at least.

Usually I joke on this site that I only buy from Empire because "Texas" (I do live in Texas as well), but the truth is Empire simply isn't as big as Dans or Albes, and I want to help them grow/expand even though I am just one of their customers. It's like this: Dans and Albes are both good people; I've helped them grow over the years by ordering parts from them many times and they are at a good level. Now I want Empire to reach that same level or close to it so I choose to support them, even if Dans and Albes offer more rewards or better deals.

I think it can only help our community if we have more stores/options in the long run. Anyways I hope I didn't sound vain or something, and if I did I wasn't trying to be. I'm not as good/poetic at explaining things like Dave.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/25/2016 8:11 PM

Empire has Waylon

/thread

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/25/2016 8:58 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

I really like the Sunday Ross complete. Comes with Thunderbolts so that's one less thing to buy in the future.

Profiles for Life.

|

1/25/2016 9:12 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

michael.eckhart wrote:

Profiles for Life.

Profiles are outdated and not as good as thunderbolts.

The Column cranks from them seem decent but the regular GDH cranks are 19mm and have the same problem all the 19mm cranks have, the splines wear out quicker than a 22mm crank or 24mm crank.

But the wedge system on thunderbolts is a hell of a lot easier to work on and it's stiffer as well as being longer lasting than any other crank system. If you're extra stupid and break the wedge cluster thing somehow.

And getting down to arm design, odyssey's are custom drawn and properly welded and heat treated. They're the best shape for lasting a long time while still being stiff enough to not flex too much or bend. Plus they're light. Granted, you can't get a Ti spindle, but you don't need that.

Profiles, however, bend and snap more often. I have personally seen this several times (way too many for a pair of cranks). Bending, snapping, and cracking cranks is incredibly risky business. Sure, if you're super smooth and dialed you will not have these problems. But Even the best rider cases a box jump from 10 feet up and if your cranks can't take that, well, you're fucked. I am a fan of them being American made, but after what I've seen I would only ride the Column cranks out of any of their cranks.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/25/2016 9:14 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Profiles for Life.

Spoken like a true OG. No arguments here.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/26/2016 12:01 AM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

michael.eckhart wrote:

Profiles for Life.

MaximusBikes wrote:

The Column cranks from them seem decent but the regular GDH cranks are ...more

I do agree with you full heartedly, but personally, I've never had problems with profiles. I've been riding profiles cranks for over 15 year and never had a crack. I've tried several other cranks for shits and giggles, mostly because I liked the look of them and cracked every set. Also Profiles are some of the lightest cranks on the market. I've also had the Column cranks but I did not care foe the bulkyness of them. The ONLY problem I've had with profiles is ankle bite every once in awhile.

I would love to try out the ODYSSEY cranks though only because I trust the ODYSSEY brand. The SHADOW cranks look really nice too.

|

1/26/2016 12:03 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Profiles for Life.

MaximusBikes wrote:

The Column cranks from them seem decent but the regular GDH cranks are ...more

michael.eckhart wrote:

I do agree with you full heartedly, but personally, I've never had problems with profiles. I've been riding profiles cranks ...more

Also, mostly everyone else's cranks are based on the Profile design...because it works.

|

1/26/2016 12:05 AM

Thank you everyone for your opinions so far, keepem coming.

|

1/26/2016 12:11 AM

I'm really liking the Gary Young Special too, but $999, not to sure.

Photo

|

1/26/2016 12:53 PM

I would branch out, get something weird.

That's me.

Hence my front and rear brakes and a coaster. I plan on a new frame eventually, and it will be something very uncommon. smile

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2016 5:20 PM

Shadow Killer cranks seem pretty fucking sick in Copper

|

My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2016 6:58 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Photo

That bike will last you your entire life with just replacing tires and pedals when they wear out. Which isn't fast.

Get that one if you have the cash! If you buy from dans and get 15% off it'll be a lot less so i'd snag that in a heartbeat. It's what I'd buy if i ever had my bike stolen and needed a new one.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/26/2016 7:09 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

That bike will last you your entire life with just replacing tires and pedals when they wear out. Which isn't fast.

Get that ...more

Haha if he still has all his stuff from a couple years ago, it will all last that long!

Mike, do you still have that fork with brake mounts?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2016 8:35 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Shadow Killer cranks seem pretty fucking sick in Copper

Agreed, they are some sick cranks.

|

1/26/2016 8:37 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I would branch out, get something weird.

That's me.

Hence my front and rear brakes and a coaster. I plan on a new frame ...more

Ive had a couple Standards, you don't see those much any more and you can customize it.

|

1/26/2016 8:39 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Photo

MaximusBikes wrote:

Get that ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Haha if he still has all his stuff from a couple years ago, it will all last that long!

Mike, do you still have that fork ...more

No, I sold all my bike stuff over the winter.

|

1/30/2016 8:27 PM

I LIKE THESE ALSO.

Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2016 10:24 PM

Sex Photo

|

My Cult 2 Short

1/31/2016 11:20 PM

Division completes are really nice. Rode a couple. Good stuff. But they are that four peg/street/coaster type bike. And if I remember correctly you aren't into those kinda bikes. But a change could be fun. Why stick to the same, chsnge it up.

|

2/2/2016 12:48 PM

I know, theses cranks are badass. I'm kind torn between the Subrosa and Kink completes.

|

2/13/2016 12:00 PM

THE WINNER!

Photo

|

2/13/2016 6:29 PM

Dan thats a nice looking bike for sure i want one can you put 2 on ur tab please lol nice pick

|

Built to abuse