Which free coaster?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/30/2015 6:47 PM

I'm thinking about getting either the https://www.danscomp.com/products/429007/Cult_Match_FA_V2_Freecoaster_Hub.html or the https://www.danscomp.com/products/429159/Eclat_Blind_Freecoaster_Hub_(Shane_Weston).html I was wondering if any of you guys have used either hub and which one I should go with

|

11/30/2015 8:16 PM

Demolition Rotator is what i run and its great so that or either a Odyssey clutch. those are dope

|

11/30/2015 8:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2015 8:48 PM

I've got a rotator I'd suggest it it's been solid as fuck for me , the Merrit coaster looks good as well

I've heard the eclat is shit
And the cult is the same as a rotator just fatter

|

11/30/2015 9:01 PM

The Cult uses slightly modified KHE internals that have been around a long time and well tested. Most of the hubs using the same internals will treat you well. A few good deals on KHE style Freecoaster hubs are

WTP Helix on sale for $99 ($84.96 if you use the discount code "Monday")
http://www.albes.com/we-the-people-helix-freecoaster-hub-sale/

Alienation Rush which can be adjusted without taking it apart for $115 ($97.75 if you use the discount code "Monday")
http://www.albes.com/alienation-rush-v-2-freecoaster-hub-red-sale/

I'm a fan of the Odyssey Clutch hub too!

I don't think you can go wrong with and of the KHE styled ones you listed or any of the ones I listed.

Hope that helps

www.albes.com

|

12/1/2015 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2015 6:20 AM

And that is a great reason that Albes RULES.

Dans would NEVER come onto a forum to provide assistance like that.

Also, I have a Rotator, and got all of around 10 minutes on it (battling a gnarly sinus issue this week) and it has been a good time so far.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/2/2015 3:18 AM

Don't get the blind.

|

12/2/2015 7:27 AM

Get the Blind if you know how to work on hubs and understand the system. I've been riding it since it came out and I always keep a spare rubber band with me incase the spring (I don't have spare springs anymore, I always use rubber bands) around the Pawls gets destroyed (again). That will happen and it's not a real problem if you're okay with working on the hub every 1-2 months for 5 minutes.

If that's too much work for you, get the WTP Helix, it's super cheap, reliable and offers good hubguards, too.

|

12/2/2015 11:54 AM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

Get the Blind if you know how to work on hubs and understand the system. I've been riding it since it came out and I always ...more

I disagree. I know how it works and how to work on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should buy a hub that is likely to break.

|

12/2/2015 4:21 PM

My blind has been fine. Still on the first spring

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

12/2/2015 8:33 PM

I have the cult v2 freecoaster, and after a month of having it the driver bearings blew out. Compairing these two is like comparing apples to oranges. They're similar, but far different. The Eclat blind is a pawl based freecoaster, which have been shown to have issues with the pawl system. If i were you, I would look at the Odyssey Clutch. They basically took all freecoaster problems and eliminated them. But in the end get what you think will best suit your riding.

|

12/3/2015 4:12 AM

Z coaster is best coaster

|

It’s all bmx

12/3/2015 5:32 AM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

Get the Blind if you know how to work on hubs and understand the system. I've been riding it since it came out and I always ...more

maxlikesbikes wrote:

I disagree. I know how it works and how to work on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should buy a hub that is likely to ...more

It's not likely to break, it's likely to wear out and needs maintenance. For myself, I'm better off keeping a rubber band and tools with me than riding a heavier hub that doesn't feel as good. I've ridden KHE style coasters, too and I don't really like how they engage.

|

12/3/2015 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2015 6:17 AM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

It's not likely to break, it's likely to wear out and needs maintenance. For myself, I'm better off keeping a rubber band and ...more

It wears out way too prematurely though. A handful of weeks of typical use and you are already replacing internal pieces? Even the Ezra/Salt plus cassette/coaster outdid that.

A KHE with heavy abuse will out-do that tenfold.

It's fine if you like the engagement, but to recommend it and then next post state it wears out like that to the point where you need to carry spare pieces for it pretty consistently tells me it is not as durable as it should be based on the time spent designing it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2015 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2015 8:01 PM

Got a demolition rotator laced to demolition zero rim I can sell u if interested

|

12/3/2015 7:58 PM

Get the coaster that is the free'st

|

12/4/2015 3:57 AM

maxlikesbikes wrote:

I disagree. I know how it works and how to work on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should buy a hub that is likely to ...more

B(avaria)mx wrote:

It's not likely to break, it's likely to wear out and needs maintenance. For myself, I'm better off keeping a rubber band and ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

It wears out way too prematurely though. A handful of weeks of typical use and you are already replacing internal pieces? Even ...more

The issue with the blind has been resolved. The v2 has individual springs like the ezra/salt rather than that wraparund one. And the v2 driver will work in the v1 blind.. The only thing im not sure of is when the v2 will become publicly avaiable

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

12/4/2015 9:24 AM

I got more time on my Rotator yesterday, Loved it. did a bunch of super long fakies, had a good time. Decided I am learning hang 5s this winter. I lowered my seat some (I had nearly 2 fists of post) and they seemed to become a LOT easier to start.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/4/2015 4:00 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Huffy>Odyssey>Tony Hawk>profile

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

12/4/2015 4:05 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

cro tec wrote:

Huffy>Odyssey>Tony Hawk>profile

I agree on the huffy I loved my jimmy Levan signature huffy , but your clearly on drugs

|

12/7/2015 6:28 AM

tomdon wrote:

The issue with the blind has been resolved. The v2 has individual springs like the ezra/salt rather than that wraparund one. ...more

Resolved for the team/insiders. Until it is publicly available, I would go with something else, just to avoid that hassle of replacing the single spring setup.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/7/2015 6:52 AM

It would seem the rotator is quite popular , mines been solid with no problems or maintnence since I got it at the beginning of last season

|

12/7/2015 7:19 AM

eskimojay wrote:

It would seem the rotator is quite popular , mines been solid with no problems or maintnence since I got it at the beginning ...more

I got mine used and it is solid. I am still weirded out by slack, but I have been on a cassette non stop for around 2 years now.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/7/2015 7:25 AM

It took me about 2 rides to get used to it but I run barely any slack , left it stock the way I got it and my 30 9 gear ratio shrinks whatever slack that is quite a bit , my other buddy who rides coaster doesn't like how little slack it is but I love it , I think it forces me to do fakie riding cleaner , if I get sloppy it'll toss me off

|