Which guard-sprockets have the tightest clearance? Want to run a 27t facing inward, if possible!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/12/2016 2:49 PM

I grind on my right side, and I'm a bitch about hurting my bike if preventable so I've got hub guards, I finally built a LHD wheel and got that all setup, and am now thinking the only thing missing is a guard sprocket. It looked like the only way for me to guard the *inside* of my sprocket was to get odyssey's MDS and the separate attachment guard (almost $100 altogether), but then I found people who ride guard sprockets with the guard facing inward, and have gotten anecdotal information from two others that *their* frames take a 28t guard sprocket facing inward (a la guardia on an atf frame, and an mds on a soundwave frame), but I have no way to be sure without actually fitting them so am here hoping for some advice! I currently ride 28t, but wanted to switch down to 27t (I may consider 26t, if it was the only way to get a guard sprocket installed facing inward), but right now my 28t sprocket is ~4mm away from my chainstays (on my 2012 united SU2 supreme) so I just can't imagine that a guarded 28t mds or la guardia would fit.... I *may* be able to bribe a local rider to let me take his off to fit to mine, see if his 28t mds fits inward on my frame, then obviously my ideal 27t la guardia would, but failing that I'm hoping maybe someone here has seen these sprockets enough IRL to be able to tell me which have larger or smaller guards, relative to the sprocket? I'm guessing this will end with me buying whatever I find to be the thinnest, 27t guard sprocket (bolt drive) available, and just hoping for the best - if I have to install it with the guard facing outward, it defeats much of the point of having paid extra for the guard, guess they still look cool (and, in the case of something being just a hair too tight, I'd probably use the grinder to put a tiny notch in the chianstay if needed, I'm a light rider lol I don't think that'll be much of a problem!

Thank you, this sprocket is half of my remaining upgrades to be 'complete'!! Am going to be asking for help on the other, on my recently-built wheel's lhd driver issues, just gotta tinker a bit before I'm sure I've done all I know to do so I'm sure it's not something obvious!!

|

9/12/2016 3:41 PM

Hammer your frame pussy boy

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

9/12/2016 6:29 PM

Shadow Disaster guard maybe , most sprockets have the guard out a couple mm away from the teeth and it sucks up a lot of space if it's going inward . Maybe email or check Dans for over width and let that determine ... like a 6mm thick sprocket will be a huge help compared to if you buy an 8mm sprocket and if it hits your frame , you have to dent the CS to make it go

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/12/2016 7:09 PM

I have a 25t MDS, and if I flipped it on my frame, it would likely kill my chain line. I run just about 2-3 mm of spacers between the bearing and the sprocket on my Twombolts.

BUT newer frames (mine is a 2011) tend to have wider BBS so that MIGHT help out.

Side note: I plan to swap my MDS out for my old Mosh Full Guard sprocket as soon as my homie gets it back to me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2016 8:21 PM

well morgan long runs a 28t inverted on his sig frame maybe just pick up his sig frame and save the trouble

|

9/13/2016 12:26 AM

It's more to do with how much tyre clearance your frame has. I can barely get a decent chainline even after making dimples in my frame. However, why do you want to run it with the guard facing inwards? There's no real benefit to it. The guard on the outside will still prevent you from hitting your chain

|

9/13/2016 11:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's more to do with how much tyre clearance your frame has. I can barely get a decent chainline even after making dimples in ...more

I think fear of slipping off something (grinds on the right) and hitting the sprocket. Or crooked grinds.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/14/2016 12:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2016 12:02 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's more to do with how much tyre clearance your frame has. I can barely get a decent chainline even after making dimples in ...more

Wait can you explain what you mean about putting dimples in your frame for chainline? If I got a 27t guard sprocket, and it was just a mm off from fitting, I'd certainly take the grinder to my chainstay and nick a bit out wink

And I want the guard inward because I grind on my right side, with a LHD bike, so it's the inner-side of the sprocket that'd hit first.

|

9/14/2016 12:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have a 25t MDS, and if I flipped it on my frame, it would likely kill my chain line. I run just about 2-3 mm of spacers ...more

Shit, didn't even consider my chainline being pulled-out further, I already have a problem with that - I recently got redline 'flight' cranks, and the spindle bolts will bottom-out in the spindle before the cranks are fully on, unless I use two spacers - the only spot to put them is between my bb bearing cartridge and the sprocket, so my chain is already pulled outwards from the driver to the sprocket..

|

9/14/2016 12:26 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

adfkje wrote:

Wait can you explain what you mean about putting dimples in your frame for chainline? If I got a 27t guard sprocket, and it ...more

Your sprocket is not going hit unless your doing something reckless. And if so, goodluck trying. While anything is possible, youre overthinking it.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

9/14/2016 9:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2016 9:29 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Your sprocket is not going hit unless your doing something reckless. And if so, goodluck trying. While anything is possible, ...more

It's not over-thinking it, as I've got a bad case of tight- & loose- chain, based on where my pedals are (ie my sprocket's wrong) So I checked it on a table and it's not perfectly flat, ergo time for a new sprocket anyways! I'm more anal about my bike's weight than most are so it's not something I think is redundant, I mean since I went LHD a few weeks ago I've certainly been able to grind better (feebles 80% of the time, I grind while commuting much more than when actually sessioning), not worrying about my sprocket I can try and recover balance a bit longer, and my sprocket having a guard will just make me even more comfortable :D And it's not reckless to do grinds that'd hit this, one of my favorite and most frequently hit ledge is a couple feet tall the way I approach it, but it's only like 10" wide and if you went over it, it's ~4' fall - in the past week I've had to ditch the bike in a manner that's scratched up the bottom of my downtube and hit my chain/sprocket....if you grind on your right, and the sprocket's on the left side, then you're better served with a guard on your sprocket's ride side for sure (the guard should be towards the direction you grind)

|

9/14/2016 11:54 PM

Honestly man you're better off running a guard sprocket normally and if it gets fucked buy a new one cheap for 60-70$ or wherever you live , instead of buying a 600$ frame and 300$ cranks all so your sprocket doesn't get beaten up .

At the very least , get a Shadow disaster bolt on guard until then and see if that helps a bit

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/16/2016 6:01 PM

peggiesmalls wrote:

Hammer your frame pussy boy

This

|

It’s all bmx

9/16/2016 6:14 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Honestly man you're better off running a guard sprocket normally and if it gets fucked buy a new one cheap for 60-70$ or ...more

What are you talking about? Who's considering buying a new frame or cranks, and where are you even getting those values the nicest frame & cranks I could think of wanting (soundwave and those newer eclat cranks) are cheaper than that...but not once was there any mention about buying those parts, *especially* in the context of protecting the sprocket! The point is simple, I want a guard sprocket and, since I ride lhd but grind right-side, the guard is better facing inward than outward - and, as I've mentioned, my current sprocket is bent so I cannot just bolt the shadow guard (which is mid $30's) onto it, I'd have to buy a new sprocket & that guard, which would *cost more* than just getting a guard sprocket (which would guard all the teeth&chain, not just half like shadow's bolt-on piece does)

|