Which headset do I buy?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2013 11:46 AM

My MirraCo frame has a headset similar to this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75328

It has cups which go into the frame, then has ball bearings inside these cups..

My question is, can I swap to these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110996707917

???????????????????

It doesn't have the bits that go into the frame so how would I fit them?

|

4/16/2013 11:48 AM

Nope it's a standard headset I'm pretty sure, not too familiar with it but it's not integrated.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/16/2013 11:50 AM

So I couldn't fit the second one? I'd have to go with one which is designed like the top one?

|

4/16/2013 11:52 AM

Yeah you'll need a standard headset. Get an FSA Pig.

|

4/16/2013 11:55 AM

Does anybody run these headsets anymore? They seem rubbish!

|

4/16/2013 12:00 PM

MattSheffield wrote:

They have been outdated by Integrated Headsets, but they're not really any worse. Integrated is still a bit better though, and that's why everyone uses it now.

|

4/16/2013 12:02 PM

Hmm, thinking about just buying a new frame at this rate

Thanks for your help smile

|

4/16/2013 12:09 PM

MattSheffield wrote:

Hmm, thinking about just buying a new frame at this rate

Thanks for your help smile

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with a Standard headset at all.

|

4/16/2013 12:26 PM

Yeah but I think it might be best to get a frame a little more 'in with the times' ..

|

4/16/2013 12:31 PM

You could get the Mechanik STI, it makes a standard headset into a intergrated. wink

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

4/16/2013 12:45 PM

They look pretty good, might consider one cheerssmile

|

4/16/2013 12:51 PM

MattSheffield wrote:

So I couldn't fit the second one? I'd have to go with one which is designed like the top one?

Naw mate you would need a standard headset. They're not terrible but I prefer integrated, if you want to a new frame would probably be good to get it all updated and new stuff is cool : D

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/16/2013 1:13 PM

FreddyDapice wrote:

You could get the Mechanik STI, it makes a standard headset into a intergrated. wink

This.
Standard headsets aren't bad, all or at least most MTBs still use em.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/17/2013 11:25 AM

FreddyDapice wrote:

andyferly wrote:

This.

Not true. Integrated Headsets have been on Mountain Bikes since before they were on BMX Frames, but while they tend to appear on BMXes in the ~$2-300 Mark, Mountain Bikes with Integrated headsets seem to be $4-500+.

|

4/17/2013 12:09 PM

My mirraco black pearl uses a standard headset.. but i love the frame's geo and it has a lifetime warranty on the frame and fork..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

4/17/2013 3:17 PM

personally i would throw your mirra co in the bin and get a United SU3 or a Kink

|

Go get some pegs you fucking Ramp Monkey

4/17/2013 3:21 PM

FreddyDapice wrote:

andyferly wrote:

This.

BMX_Forever wrote:

Not true. Integrated Headsets have been on Mountain Bikes since before they were on BMX Frames, but while they tend to appear on BMXes in the ~$2-300 Mark, Mountain Bikes with Integrated headsets seem to be $4-500+.

I never saw a MTB with an integrated, maybe because I'm just not into it.
I have see some scooter kids with integrated headsets though.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/17/2013 5:47 PM

Mechanic sti (standard to integrated) yw

|

Refs:
ac~handley -les.cheek - the_bmxist -Skids007(x4) - Roqfan - jared42069 - Bmxnick2511

4/17/2013 8:08 PM

I am ashamed at how no one has mentioned the Mechanik STI except Kevin.. If it's still on Danscomp, its $20. Go buy it, hammer out your cups and fork bearing race and replace them with the one included in the conversion kit. Then install it with some tips online or something. Better then to buy another gay standard headset for like $40 and have it blow out again.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/17/2013 11:21 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I am ashamed at how no one has mentioned the Mechanik STI except Kevin.. If it's still on Danscomp, its $20. Go buy it, hammer out your cups and fork bearing race and replace them with the one included in the conversion kit. Then install it with some tips online or something. Better then to buy another gay standard headset for like $40 and have it blow out again.

An FSA Pig is a really good Standard headset and costs £15, and the Mechanik doesn't seem to be available in the UK (I looked for one about 2 weeks ago).

|

4/17/2013 11:22 PM

andyferly wrote:

This.

BMX_Forever wrote:

andyferly wrote:

I never saw a MTB with an integrated, maybe because I'm just not into it.
I have see some scooter kids with integrated headsets though.

Yeah they do, not the sort you see locked up in town though, proper Mountain Bikes.

|

4/18/2013 8:03 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Haha, Freddie mentioned that in the 9th post. So shame on you for shaming on him when he brought it up first. tongue

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

4/18/2013 9:23 AM

REPEAT do not by anything made by blank it may as well be tinfoil.
My friend needed forks and bought some forks of blanks and they snapped clean in half rendering his face unrecognisable

|

Instagram: MrDannyLeo

4/18/2013 9:38 AM

MattSheffield wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

They have been outdated by Integrated Headsets, but they're not really any worse. Integrated is still a bit better though, and that's why everyone uses it now.

It's actually not better, just easier to use/more user friendly.

Here goes:

Standard headsets have a press in cup, integrated do not. With that press in cup, if you ride with a loose headset, you will trash the cup first, and if you ignore it, THEN the frame. With integrated, you have no buffer between the bearing and the frame, thus riding with a loose headset will trash your headtube right away, causing it to ovalize, ruining your frame.

The integrated setup is also lighter, and with standards on everything these days, more desired. One other feature that integrated headsets have over standard is the angular contact bearing, meaning that the outer race of the bearing is at an angle (typically 45 degrees) which can handle side forces a tad better. Plus you don't need anything more than a little grease and an allen wrench or two to swap integrated headsets.

I can honestly say I have gone through more headsets since I got a frame with an integrated headtube than I did standard. And I am on my 4th integrated frame with about my 6th headset (and I am more meticulous about my setup being solid now than ever), but I ran 5 standard frames with 2 headsets, PLUS I took the standard frames apart and painted them about once a month, and rode a TON more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/18/2013 9:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2013 9:41 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Excuse me, I DID!

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

4/18/2013 9:41 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Chuck8273 wrote:

Haha, Freddie mentioned that in the 9th post. So shame on you for shaming on him when he brought it up first. tongue

Chuck knows! wink

|

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844