Who likes to keep their bike dialed?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2017 7:06 PM

So... who likes to keep their bikes dialed as in like when you drop it it sounds like a basketball. I love keeping my bike dialed because I love it perfectly tightened, greased, and quiet... So what about you guys?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/13/2017 7:09 PM

Yes, I refuse to ride if my bike isn't. It takes a long time for me to fix/add new parts since I want everything 110% perfect and I run a brake setup which I need at absolute top dialed-ness.

It's bike OCD, I'm sure many more here have it. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/13/2017 7:15 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Yes, I refuse to ride if my bike isn't. It takes a long time for me to fix/add new parts since I want everything 110% perfect and I run a brake setup which I need at absolute top dialed-ness.

It's bike OCD, I'm sure many more here have it. XD

Yes I have that bike OCD as wellgrin I won't ride my bike with out it being dialed either...

|

9/13/2017 7:17 PM

I make sure everything is tight regularly, make sure things are lubed when they need to be (chain more than other things), and maintained... Besides my spokes anyway. I tend to break a lot of them since I'm not very smooth sometimes. Plus my rear hub guard just barely covers the flange so I tend to snap spokes back there every now & then. I'll remove them but don't replace them until I break a lot of them or I have my wheel off.

Other than that it's usually pretty dialed.

|

9/13/2017 7:20 PM

I do BUT the Gsport Roloway I have seems to have a TINY bit of play. I think I might shoot them an email since I have literally nothing I can fix it with short of making some shims-which I shouldn't have to since it had the play out of the box.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/13/2017 7:25 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I do BUT the Gsport Roloway I have seems to have a TINY bit of play. I think I might shoot them an email since I have literally nothing I can fix it with short of making some shims-which I shouldn't have to since it had the play out of the box.

That sucks your Gsport Roloway has play in it, Ive never had any problems with my Gsport Simian... definitely give them a call or shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll give you a replacement. Gsport's warranty is top notch...

|

9/13/2017 11:31 PM

My bikes dialled af

|

9/14/2017 7:04 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My bikes dialled af

This

|

9/14/2017 9:44 AM

You guys would hate my bike. My brake lever wobbles up and down and feels like a sponge when you pull it...

|

An Indian on a small bike

9/14/2017 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2017 12:21 PM

I have ridden my bike with my headset loose, blown hub bearings, loose chain, cranks bent, forks bent, tires low on psi, throttle grip, brakes fucked, etc...

All of this because I failed to be prepared for the long day of riding. Bring tools, patches and a pump! The bearings, forks and cranks couldnt be helped without replacement but most common issues can be fixed pretty quick.

A solid bike is so confidence building!

|

9/15/2017 12:39 AM

Frames with chain tensioners would make my bike 100% dialled 100% of the time . Almost considering buying a new one based off that alone

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/15/2017 5:53 AM

It makes moving your chain off the sprocket to remove your wheel impossible without bringing an extra allen or a chain breaker. Thats the only thing that sucks about it. But it is nice as long as you bring the allen.

|

9/15/2017 6:28 AM

"back in the day" we would dismantle our bikes nearly weekly & regrease the headsets, BB & wheels & rebuild everything. Our bike ALWAYS rode like brand new bikes. Today is the same except with all the sealed bearings, that part isn't needed but I still need to fix anything that isn't right when I first start riding.

|

9/15/2017 6:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2017 6:39 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

"back in the day" we would dismantle our bikes nearly weekly & regrease the headsets, BB & wheels & rebuild everything. Our bike ALWAYS rode like brand new bikes. Today is the same except with all the sealed bearings, that part isn't needed but I still need to fix anything that isn't right when I first start riding.

I grease anything that is metal to metal contact. Lightly but vibration can make things wear and get sloppy. And eventually if you dont grease certain parts they develop rust and can seize up after a good amount of time. I dont usually grease my chain because its harder to get an even coat but Ill throw some on if I dont have anything else and my chain is dry. I use a really light oil for my rear hub so it slips less.

I dont however put any grease near the steerer clamping area or the bar clamping area.

|

9/15/2017 6:47 AM

Lol. Fucking lol. You can hear my bike from a mile away, and not from my cassette. Headset sometimes pops, cranks creak like a door in a house built 150 years ago, chain is noisy, brake stuff slaps around. Its awesome. It sounds like such shit

|

9/15/2017 6:56 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Lol. Fucking lol. You can hear my bike from a mile away, and not from my cassette. Headset sometimes pops, cranks creak like a door in a house built 150 years ago, chain is noisy, brake stuff slaps around. Its awesome. It sounds like such shit

You painted a great picture. Lol

Something to be said for a gloriously shitty bike.

|

9/15/2017 11:03 AM

I hate when my bike is noisy. I like smooth and quiet.

|

9/15/2017 11:05 AM

Ved_goswami wrote:

You guys would hate my bike. My brake lever wobbles up and down and feels like a sponge when you pull it...

Get a new lever? Lots of times the brakes on complete bikes suck giant donkey balls. That would drive me crazy.

|

9/16/2017 3:31 PM

Who doesn't like a dialed bike. I must have a dialed bike to ride. I don't want to ride something that isn't in top performing shape. If I was lazier sure..but I care too much about my bike to let it get loose or fall into disrepair.

|

9/19/2017 6:48 AM

if it doesn't wiggle by hand i don't mess with it.

Running brakes and liking a non-tight chain, i know my bike won't sound like a Dribble so, i don't sweat it.

|

9/19/2017 12:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 12:52 PM

Yeah, everything dialed, all the time. Any noise at all is unacceptable. Chain properly tensioned, I padded the undersides of my chainstay to eliminate chain slap, no bearing noise, tires aired up a hair under 60 psi for street, spokes tight, wheels trued to almost perfect. High temp automotive grease for all bearings and local bike store lube for the chain. Sprockets get replaced as soon as the teeth start looking wavy. I'll even re-lace a wheel after breaking a single spoke. As soon as one goes, the rest get strained more, and they'll start breaking like mad.

It's definitely worth the effort to ride a bike that feels brand new every day.

|

9/19/2017 12:59 PM

How often should we check our spokes out of curiosity?

|

9/19/2017 2:04 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

How often should we check our spokes out of curiosity?

I check my spokes 1 or 2 times a month and if they're loose I just tighten them up....

|

9/19/2017 3:53 PM

I keep my bike dialed 100% of the time all the time

|

9/20/2017 6:27 PM

I like my bike to sound like I just dropped 20 bolts into my engine bay

|

9/22/2017 2:01 PM

As a home mechanic, it's best to have a bike dialled every moment of the day.

It's best to perform preventive maintenance and to know that you can depend on your bike... Cause when you go out there and ride some heavy stuff, you better have a bike that's in tip top shape.

Three things can go wrong: situation, rider, bike.

And it better not be the bike.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

9/17/2018 8:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

You ever get the wobble figured? Mine seems to have developed a pretty noticeable wobble.

|

9/17/2018 8:45 PM

My bike does not need to be technically dialed, I need to feel consistency and get consistent feedback from it.

|

9/17/2018 9:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 9:45 PM

absolutely! Only sound i want to hear is the smooth clicking of my cassette. My pet peeve is noise upoun landing >___

|

9/18/2018 9:16 AM

My rims wobble, cranks creek and pop, pads squeak, and brake cable slaps....

“They hear me rolling, they hate’n.....

|