Who rides dirt consistently?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/22/2013 5:42 AM

I plan to spend more time on the dirt this year, and I want some decent dirt worthy tires that ideally would be tanwall or white wall (makes my bike extra pretty).

I don't need slicks. I want something with some bite. I will be riding everything, but I want them to be great on dirt, as I don't have a lot of super well groomed dirt around currently. There is a fair amount of loose stuff at the local trails (locals suck at maintaining)

Suggest away.

I was intrigued by Machetes, but I want a touch more bite then that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/22/2013 6:06 AM

MTT all the way, you're not gonna get much more than those. Knobiest tires out there.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

4/22/2013 7:30 AM

I ride dirt more than anything.

First suggestion I have is to buy a broom. You say the locals don't maintain the trails but if you're riding there, YOU ARE A LOCAL.

Sweep them.

As for tires, I'd want more knobs than the MTT have. Aikens tires look pretty nice and I think they come in tan wall.

I ride 22 inch tires, so what I run won't help you at all..

|

4/22/2013 7:48 AM

pnj wrote:

I ride dirt more than anything.

First suggestion I have is to buy a broom. You say the locals don't maintain the trails but ...more

I just discovered the poor attempt at trails late last fall. I built sets elsewhere that myself and two others were the only ones to maintain, with over 50 kids going to them, and I don't really care to be the ONLY one working on them AGAIN, only to have all the work be undone overnight (not even joking about that timeframe). And before you say something like "educate them to do it", kids are lazy. They won't, despite how much we tried in years past. And at this place (which happens to be a mile from my current home), I have NEVER seen a kid out there. My plan is to build up a big booter, and see what happens. So yes, I understand the concept of maintaining them. I refuse to be the ONLY person to do it for a bunch of ungrateful little kids who destroy my work, change everything to what they want (knee high tables) by bull dozing the lips and landings to fill in the gaps.

Not to mention there is not much of a water source near by these "jumps" so just a broom doesn't help smooth things. You need water and to pack the run ups AND the jumps. I know from experience. Sweeping works if the run up is smoother to begin with, and these were not. It was somewhere between dirt and sand on the runs, and it was rough. The plan is to go out there after a good rain (when we finally get away from the snow and thaw out) and build a nice jump that throws you super high up.

Minnesota doesn't have a lot of great dirt to build with, we have a lot of dry time, and harsh winters, so the soil for building isn't what you have over in the Seattle area. Clay is hard to come by, and the dirt we have if not packed well and consistently watered turns to dry clumps and cracks badly. Due to a lack of a water source I may not be able to make this work well. But I plan to try. Failing this spot I am going back to the old spot we had, and I will do minimal work, and just ride it. Be pissed if you want, but myself and two others started that place, and it was over run by 12 year olds who couldn't jump a 3 foot tall double. I don't have the time (due to working 60 plus hours a week and having a fiance and a life) or the energy to spend that much time digging, for half an hour ride time, to come back again another day and it all be destroyed.

As to tire suggestions, I will likely not get the MTT, I have seen them in person, and they just don't appeal to me. They have some knob, but not much. I found a good deal on some Alienation tires designed for dirt, and I may dive on that one.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/22/2013 7:54 AM

Not all the dirt in our area is good. There is a set of trails south of seattle that is mostly SAND. The locals continue to dig there because it is somewhat of a legal spot. They have recently started to use quick crete to help hold the surfaces together.

fully agree that kids are lazy these days.

|

4/22/2013 8:19 AM

I don't ride Dirt too much but I do fairly often and overall I ride a lot and I can't afford to replace Tyres all the time, and also I don't really have any problem riding with Dirt Tires on smooth concrete, and because of those reasons I ride Dirt Tires. At the moment I'm running a 1.90 Aitken and a 2.2 Dirt Monster, and they're great, but I only got them because I could get them very cheap. I'll probably get the 1.90 Aitken again next time because I love it, very grippy but feels smooth. I understand you might not want such a thin Tyre though, and it there are knobbier Tyres out there (Although it hasn't slipped out at all for me), so you might want to look at a 2.25 Aitken, or a Knobby Aitken (2.125/2.35). With the Dirt Monster, it is pretty good although it can feel a bit slow on Concrete etc but not too much. It is extremely Grippy. It is a little on the Heavy side though if you care. Oh and I'm known to get punctures, but I bought my current Tyres in January and have rode pretty much every day since and haven't got a single Flat on either Tyre. I had V-Monsters before which were smooth and pretty grippy, but they wore out pretty quick and I always got punctures with them, and although they were pretty good for Dirt I wouldn't get them for Dirt only, especially on the Front.

Machetes do look good as well, so do the Alienation Tyres. I had a Maxxis Holy Roller on the front for a little while and that was great. Subrosa Grave Diggers, Odyssey Dirt Paths and Fly Sergios all look good too. Hope this helps.

|

4/22/2013 10:01 AM

I pretty much only ride dirt and use the aitkens, they come in white walls
also try the aitken and dirt path thats my favorite set up

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

4/22/2013 10:44 AM

I ride only dirt, and have been happy with the Duo Stunners I'm currently running.

|

4/22/2013 11:04 AM

Fly Sergio's got nice bite to them, other wise aitkens are safe purchases

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

4/22/2013 11:23 AM

I ride a little dirt. All the trails are usually real loose and dusty, and my 2.25" Aitken and 2.1" GLH work perfect. Never slides out.

|

4/22/2013 11:31 AM

Subrosa gravediggers come in tan wall and as you can see they look like they might be what you are after.

Photo

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

4/22/2013 3:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/22/2013 3:22 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I just discovered the poor attempt at trails late last fall. I built sets elsewhere that myself and two others were the only ...more

If only I had the opportunity to ride dirt around here.... I'd clean those trails so clean, weeds wouldn't be growing out of the jumps =P

Over the past few months I've been getting more and more interested in all kinds of riding dirt, street, park, vert, flatland you name it!!! Just feel like not many opportunities present themselves around here.... maybe I don't see them =P

|

4/22/2013 6:16 PM

future FBM wrote:

Fly Sergio's got nice bite to them, other wise aitkens are safe purchases

=]

|

Jade Bike Check
Refs : ninjacat33 ; SuperstarDk ; ecuadevil ; xbikeascammer ;blizzbikes ; tcbmx ; mattjmuldoon@hotmail ;bmx ; Uoykcuf ; BrokenBmx, the balt; Pavimo; bmx-junkie; Fit.Team.Rider' tito24; trentydoo; brendan.magner.9 ;Scramhype ; Jonathan.Vargas ; jared42069; tomdon ; lifeofridden2200; howlerfbm

4/22/2013 8:41 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Subrosa gravediggers come in tan wall and as you can see they look like they might be what you are after.

Photo

Sick bike and tires. Makes me want some Subrosa...streetdiggers? Lemme check

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/22/2013 8:47 PM

Fit FAF, get the 2.25. it's more aggressive and lasts longer, comes in colors, and grips great.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I don't ride dirt myself, but my friend who kills it on dirt rides them and likes them. I have one in the front and ride street and have no complaints either, grip great on street as well.
|

4/22/2013 9:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/22/2013 10:43 PM

I have been riding a lot of trails lately, no jumps, just literally a bunch of trails through the woods, and even got into some soupy ass river mud yesterday, and my Aitken front/ Dirt path rear wend great! I just kept pedaling and they kept me going, and I was glad too, I had my new shoes on, haha. Before these tires, the last ones I rode on dirt were those old ass knobbies from the late 80's everything had on them.
Edit: Tioga Comp 3's is what I ran in the 80's. they were grippy, but I'm sure tread patterns have improved since then, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

4/22/2013 10:13 PM

I don't know but my still new FAFs about a year ago sucked at my dirt track..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/22/2013 11:11 PM

I've been riding a 1.9 aitken and 2.125 aitken for about a year and never had any real problems but I'm about to get some 2.25 aitken kyltes since I've heard they're pretty sweet

|

My Old* Steed

Click here and follow me :D
Twitterrr

4/23/2013 2:07 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Photo

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Sick bike and tires. Makes me want some Subrosa...streetdiggers? Lemme check

Yeah dis bike is sooo nice belongs to rich forne

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

4/23/2013 7:47 AM

Fly Tires!

|

twitter

PROBZ

4/23/2013 8:14 AM

pnj wrote:

Not all the dirt in our area is good. There is a set of trails south of seattle that is mostly SAND. The locals continue to ...more

I remember those ones near Sea-Tac used to have carpet on the lips it was so sandy.

I ride Aitkens

|

United0Cult0

4/23/2013 8:37 AM

fit faf
aitkens
fly rubens
eclat command

|

BIKE CHECK

living the life of a honey badger.
Refs: thebalt, kurtnut, scramhype