Who runs a Primo Freemix Coaster? How’s it working out?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2021 8:21 PM

Just curious about this FC. Wanting some user’s opinions and experiences. Thanks.

|

2/19/2021 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 8:34 PM

Sounds like the thread for me.

I’ve been running my primo freemix for a little over four years. In that time, I’ve serviced it around 6-7 times. About 3 years in I needed to replace the drive side hubshell bearing. To save a few bucks I just cleaned it and regreased it and it lasted me another 8 months. Replaced it fairly recently.

I’ve noticed there is a little bit of play when engaging the driver and pushing down hard, almost as if it engages a little softly. This is a more recent occurrence. Likely just the clutch starting to go out, which I believe would cost less than $20 to replace.

I feel like that’s very little maintenance for a regularly ridden 4 year hub, considering I used to use my bike for my daily transportation for the first 2 years I had it. Puts a lot of wear on the hub, I’m sure that’s where the majority of wear came from.

All in all, I love it. Probably won’t ever run another coaster. Easy to work on, the slack is not adjustable (which I love) and it’s reliable. Highly recommend.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/19/2021 9:00 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I’ve been running my primo freemix for a little over four years. In that time, I’ve serviced it around 6-7 times. About 3 years in I needed to replace the drive side hubshell bearing. To save a few bucks I just cleaned it and regreased it and it lasted me another 8 months. Replaced it fairly recently.

I’ve noticed there is a little bit of play when engaging the driver and pushing down hard, almost as if it engages a little softly. This is a more recent occurrence. Likely just the clutch starting to go out, which I believe would cost less than $20 to replace.

I feel like that’s very little maintenance for a regularly ridden 4 year hub, considering I used to use my bike for my daily transportation for the first 2 years I had it. Puts a lot of wear on the hub, I’m sure that’s where the majority of wear came from.

All in all, I love it. Probably won’t ever run another coaster. Easy to work on, the slack is not adjustable (which I love) and it’s reliable. Highly recommend.

Sounds good, thanks. The descriptions I’m reading of the current Freemix is that it is now adjustable. Maybe a more recent update since you bought yours? I guess I don’t really care. I’ve never adjusted my current coaster. Anyway, confirmation bias is effective. I ordered it. A complete wheel actually. And a front wheel because why not. Photo

|

2/19/2021 11:45 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

maverick-tx wrote:

Sounds good, thanks. The descriptions I’m reading of the current Freemix is that it is now adjustable. Maybe a more recent update since you bought yours? I guess I don’t really care. I’ve never adjusted my current coaster. Anyway, confirmation bias is effective. I ordered it. A complete wheel actually. And a front wheel because why not. Photo

Right on, Hope ya like it 👍 that’s cool that it sounds like they updated the design, not something I’d ever need to use but it should appeal to a wider audience now

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/19/2021 11:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2021 11:56 PM

My friend had a freemix and he killed it super fast, but that was because he's ba dumbass and used pedal pressure when turning a fakie and ruining the clutch. He had to pedal like 3 cranks to engage after

|

2/20/2021 12:02 AM

Hiro wrote:

My friend had a freemix and he killed it super fast, but that was because he's ba dumbass and used pedal pressure when turning a fakie and ruining the clutch. He had to pedal like 3 cranks to engage after

Makes sense. I can see how using it like a cassette would wear it out faster. Thanks for the input.

|

2/20/2021 12:08 AM

Hiro wrote:

maverick-tx wrote:

Makes sense. I can see how using it like a cassette would wear it out faster. Thanks for the input.

You should be fine, I have had primo hubs before and they're quite solid, but my friend was learning fakies for a month and slamming him pedal pressure to turn, I told him in advance that his hub will be crying after.

|