Who skates?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2013 11:41 PM

Got a flat and no tubes left.....so wondering who skates? I know skating and biking are almost parallel with eachother. Several pros do both , such as Garrett Reynolds , Kevin Kiraly , Chase Dehart and Devon Smillie. What do you think about doing both? Exporing new sports or not being loyal to your own? And what do you guys think about the different styles and tricks between the two? I wish I could skate but it scares me shitless. Mad respect for people who do.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/21/2013 1:23 AM

I skated 3 years before I started riding so I skate form time to time and when bike parts break and just to stay fresh

|

BmxSavage

Refs:Mike-E -Profile minis, 7ka , and seatpost

Instagram:Issabikelife
YouTube:Bmxcheerios

7/21/2013 1:44 AM

I skate and also do some surfing and snowboarding. I like riding my bike the most.....
It comes in handy, every season has it's charm....

|

Gravity sucks

7/21/2013 2:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2013 10:29 AM

I skated when I was younger for about a year, i couldn't figure it out tho so i stuck with bmx. I'm moving to the coast next year so I can surf / sea kayak / deep water solo, I've been obsessed with surfing since I first caught a wave as a kid, and climbing & sea kayaking is something I've just recently started taking an interest in. In the future I plan on taking up paragliding also but I might wait till I'm too old to ride before I get my licence for that..

I think its good to have other interests, we having a major heatwave in the uk right now and its too hot to ride in the day so its good to have other free sport options that are more suitable weather wise.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

7/21/2013 10:18 AM

I use to skate but for some reason it was like the most difficult thing to me, but I do race motocross and do jump and tricks on my dirt bike

its always good to have other interests to change things up

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

7/21/2013 10:24 AM

Skating is fucking lame.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/21/2013 10:32 AM

I started skating a couple of months before I started riding, I wanted to ride but I didn't have money for a bike but some of my mates skated and I had a board. I just cruised skateparks and bowls, I got pretty good at manuals and I could Pop shuvit and Ollie just about, but I never really tried. I carried on skating a little for about 4 months after I started riding.

|

7/21/2013 10:33 AM

I grew up in the sticks,so a skateboard was useless.

|

7/21/2013 11:18 AM

i cruise to the corner store with a board. or i'll use it to film. that's about it, I dropped in one time, got cocky and tried it again, ate shit.

Photo

|

It’s all bmx

7/21/2013 11:19 AM

YeeeePhoto

|

It’s all bmx

7/21/2013 11:22 AM

used to but couldn't pop an ollie higher than 4 inches... so turned into a skateboard for a trampoline haha

|

Bruh

7/21/2013 11:38 AM

I skated for around 6 or 7 years before i started bmx. I still step on a board every now and then but most of the time it's just to take it for a cruise. It kinda bums me out though because i used to love skating and i've tried so many times to get back into it but I think after doing it for so many years and riding the same spots all the time i just got burnt out on it. I like bmx so much because theres a ton more options as for what you can ride, Pretty much anywhere you go you can bmx.
As for people doing both i see nothing wrong with it. There's times when you just need to take a break from your bike and mess around with something else.

|

7/21/2013 12:59 PM

I would kill to skate but I can't for shit. I want to build up a cruising board so shred around town and start filming. Plus when the bikes broken I have something to do.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/21/2013 1:30 PM

if you want to build up a cruiser/filmer, just get a normal board and slap some OJ cruiser wheels on it and voila, a board you can use for transportation, filming, and still be able to do tricks if you want
i have a board set up like this for filming. works great and is fun to mess around with when shit breaks

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/21/2013 1:36 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I would kill to skate but I can't for shit. I want to build up a cruising board so shred around town and start filming. Plus ...more

Step 1: get a penny nickel board.
Step 2 profit

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/21/2013 1:38 PM

I started out skating but i sucked. Now i can ollie, pshuv, shuv, and boneless variations

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/21/2013 1:42 PM

penny boards are overpriced pieces of shit that aren't practical for anything other than looking like a swagfag with one strapped onto your backpack at school

also, plastic is not strong

7 ply decks are much better

if you must get a cruiser, get something like this instead of a penny/nickel
http://shop.ccs.com/product/model:190503/sku:65-05658/almost-high-tide-cruiser-complete/black/red/?cm=searchcruisers#sku=65-05658&size=8.60

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/21/2013 1:54 PM

I used to, I still can a bit, nothing special though

I can occasionally still toss out an impossible here and there

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

7/21/2013 3:42 PM

Damn guys, I skated for like six years and I feel it is quite the opposite. Getting good at skating I feel is much easier than bmx. At the time I wouldn't have thought so but since I have actually started riding more serious that past few months it sure feels that way. I guess I have to look back and remember that skating wasn't always that easy. However it did feel like I picked up on it quicker. I had no problem attempting 8 stairs on my board but on my bike I feel like a wuss at 4 ha.. From a previous skater that was pretty deep into skating, pretty much living on my board I give you guys mad props. I feel about bmx how I once felt about skating. I am loving it. However I would love to be even a quarter good as some of you.

|

Over 500+ transactions on eBay at 100%. - jddewitt
Refs: nshs2010, handlebar-to-face, HardBMX_Tim

7/21/2013 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2013 3:50 PM

And I don't care what anyone says.. a wipe on a bike sucks way more than one on a board. I imagine more bikes are responsible for busted out teeth than skateboards.. I broke my foot skating and racked myself but doing a face plant on my bike breaking my nose sucked pretty bad too ha.. and I can't imaging coming of a big rail like that.

And dropping in on a board isn't nearly as sketchy feeling as it is on a bike.. maybe I just got used to it idk..

|

Over 500+ transactions on eBay at 100%. - jddewitt
Refs: nshs2010, handlebar-to-face, HardBMX_Tim

7/21/2013 4:55 PM

Four wrote:

Skating is fucking lame.

you dont like anything

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

7/21/2013 5:08 PM

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

you dont like anything

I actually have skated for 10 years and was into it before bmx. I've watched the sport go to complete total shit. Saying you skateboard is more embarassing than riding a scooter now.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/21/2013 6:18 PM

Well i live in a place its hard to because West Virginia and Bethany couldnt make smooth sidewalks and roads because they suck. And i tried it for a bit. Im not like terrible but not even close to good XD haha at one point i could manual for a while and pop shuvit and 360 and kickflip a little. I could grind sorta haha. I like longboarding a lot actually, its really smooth and fast and feels cool as shit to drift around a downhill corner!! haha but i mean BMX is all i do if i have the choice. Sometimes if i have trouble with balancing, lik ill be all crooked when im doing stuff, i just pull out the longboard (i intend on using it to film) and just go for a lil speed cruise. haha Then i ride smoother for some reason. I skated the hallways of my school at one point! WHICH WAS AMAZING!!! haha Imagine going full speed on a longboard on linoleum with nothing to slow you down! It is sooooo intense and fun. I also rode my bike and stuff which was scary with no breaks but still sicker than sick! haha its the best thing ever. haha Try it if you are in the school rehearsing or at the end of your practice when no one is around. Its the smoothest experience on my life.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/21/2013 6:19 PM

Four wrote:

Skating is fucking lame.

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

you dont like anything

Four wrote:

I actually have skated for 10 years and was into it before bmx. I've watched the sport go to complete total shit. Saying you ...more

Well that makes sense. I was thinking you were like 18, but ten years? How old are you? (obligatory "you're certainly not four" joke)

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

7/21/2013 7:02 PM

i used to be pretty decent with skateboarding but my feet couldnt take the impact anymore for street, at the same time my best mate was converting to bmx so i thought i would give it a try and i love it and have stuck mith it for almost a full year now and hope to keep going as long as i can. I have also been able to progress alot faster and maintain all my tricks. Now have a higher hop then everyone i know but i'm hoping some of the older riders or anyone can get close because there will be some spots that only i can ride and it gets boring a little and i cant hhave anyone to try new hights with but everyone else is still great.

But now i just ride bowl in skating now and bought myself an old rob roskoop santa cruze board so i can hopefully influence even some of the skaters to learn some of the old school stuff and show them that you dont just need a bag of flip tricks to be good

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/21/2013 7:50 PM

I skate a little, i suck though haha. I was messing around on my little rail today on a board it was fun

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

7/22/2013 11:33 PM

skating is hard. i can only ollie, bs board curbs, nollie pop shuv, (i cant regular shuv idk why), and i can caveman off shit. plus i can manual like halfcourt on a bball court. i want to skate more but i hate my deck ive never liked the way it feels but i dont want to buy a new deck when i suck

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

7/23/2013 12:07 AM

tried skateboarding a month ago. 3 days, and I hurt my spinal bone. It triggered an old injury which I didn't know I have. so a blessing in disguise - better know earlier than later. Minor surgery, but no skateboarding for 3 months. I got better and bought a bmx and a rollerskate. BMX felt natural as I also ride a motorbike. I thought i'd enjoy rollerskate, but it's helluva boring. I'm till itching to learning skateboarding

|

7/23/2013 12:16 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

if you want to build up a cruiser/filmer, just get a normal board and slap some OJ cruiser wheels on it and voila, a board you ...more

I got the OJ Hot Juice mini's, they're sick even on a 7.75 deck.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

7/23/2013 12:19 AM

One of my hero's does both, Chris Cole, also co-owner of Cult, he skates even better imo........

|

Gravity sucks