Who would actually use this?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2014 12:53 AM

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/426047/Tree_Race_Cassette_Hub.html

I realize this has been around for a while, but was it really a good idea?

I don't know much about racing, but what I do know is that the rear hubs are supposed to have near instant engagement and zero chance of skipping. Pretty sure 3 pawls with a single wraparound spring ain't gonna cut it.

Here's the Profile Elite internals for comparison:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

6 pawls with individual springs, plus each pawl has 3 points of engagement. That thing should never skip.

(I should say I'm not bashing Tree or saying the hub is bad overall, just that it might not have been the best idea to make a race hub)

Thoughts?

|

I come from a land known as BMX-Forum.

refs: pcoco(x2), aw1234512, bmxscout48, DARECK(trade), Showtime402, and a couple others from BMX-Forum

1/25/2014 12:59 AM

I used to run 6 pawls in my proper magnati .......really didn't notice any difference in engagement from riding 3 pawl hubs 4 pawl hubs and 6

|

1/25/2014 1:57 AM

I wouldnt use it, its made for race and it has big driver, 16T.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/25/2014 9:10 AM

It has a 16t or a 9t available for the hub. And not all hubs need instant engagement, and 3 pawls doesn't mean it's going to skip. I believe that Clint Reynolds is rolling on one of those hubs for trails, and I would ride it for sure.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/25/2014 9:21 AM

Racers would use that aswell there is no point for small sprockets and drivers in racing there's more stress on chains with smaller stuff if they did ride smaller gearing they would snap allot of chains and probably eat shit hard

|

1/25/2014 12:48 PM

I would for my old frame, 44-16 looks rad as fuck

|

fack off

1/25/2014 12:58 PM

I'll have the freestyle version in late Feb. or March. Don't think it'll be too bad engagement. Even if it was, the hubs are way smoother than pretty much every other hub, plus they build a noticeably stronger and stiffer wheel. And they're a lot easier to lace.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/25/2014 3:56 PM

Ok I think people are missing my point here. I probably should've put "Who would actually use this for racing?" since racing puts more priority into engagement, at least by what I know and looking at other race hubs like the Elite.

I'm aware of their normal hub with the 14mm bolts and 9t driver, but to just slap 16 teeth onto a normal driver doesn't seem like a well thought out plan (maybe I'm missing something. It's cheaper than other race hubs at least).

|

I come from a land known as BMX-Forum.

refs: pcoco(x2), aw1234512, bmxscout48, DARECK(trade), Showtime402, and a couple others from BMX-Forum