Why Aren't There Any Metal Sleeves?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/15/2018 1:28 PM

There is some big controversy against Plastics and Metal pegs in bmx. I had plastics for some time, but honestly don't get into these arguments. So, why doesn't anyone make metal sleeves? After your plastic breaks, if you want, you have a choice of buying another plastic sleeve or metal sleeve. Are there any metal sleeves out there?

|

Gone Fishing

8/15/2018 1:32 PM

Because metal, with the exception of defects and aluminium pegs, will typically take years to wear out.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/15/2018 1:35 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Because metal, with the exception of defects and aluminium pegs, will typically take years to wear out.

But if you would want to switch, why couldn't the process be easier by just switching the sleeve? Instead of buying 20-30 dollar pegs again

|

Gone Fishing

8/15/2018 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 1:39 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Koi Fish Enthusiast wrote:

But if you would want to switch, why couldn't the process be easier by just switching the sleeve? Instead of buying 20-30 dollar pegs again

So basically add more parts to make your pegs, which already have metal inserts, metal. Kind of self-defeating, no? It's far simpler, easier and more durable just to have a steel core and put plastic sleeves on if you want to change to plastic.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/15/2018 1:41 PM

because anyone who’d want metal sleeves would already be smart enough to be riding metal pegs

|

8/15/2018 1:49 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

because anyone who’d want metal sleeves would already be smart enough to be riding metal pegs

pretty much

|

It’s all bmx

8/15/2018 2:00 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It's like spending $30 for something that will last you probably more than a year depending on how hard you ride. I bought a set of JPEGS in 2011 and I'm still riding them. Only recently am I starting to get those nice flat spots.

Also, metal sleeves would have theoretically need to be stronger than the core, otherwise the softer metal will bend and form around the harder. I've heard of several people running aluminum core plastic pegs that ended up having to chop the peg off because the aluminum bent and wouldn't allow a socket in.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/15/2018 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 2:29 PM

Terrible one makes a Aluminum peg with a pressed on Chromoly Sleeve.

Just Dented a pair of Animal MK3 Pegs after a year, got some Eclat Slotmachines to replace the plastics I'm trying out now.

|

8/15/2018 2:40 PM

If you buy plastic sleeves and decide to go back to metal, just don't put any sleeves on. You wouldn't gain anything apart from weight by putting a metal sleeve on a metal peg

|

8/15/2018 2:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you buy plastic sleeves and decide to go back to metal, just don't put any sleeves on. You wouldn't gain anything apart from weight by putting a metal sleeve on a metal peg

Could you ride a sleevless pc peg?

|

Gone Fishing

8/15/2018 2:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sleeves are designed to be supported by a core; they'd snap pretty quickly if you rode without a core. You can get plastic pegs but they're pretty flimsy too.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/15/2018 3:16 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Sleeves are designed to be supported by a core; they'd snap pretty quickly if you rode without a core. You can get plastic pegs but they're pretty flimsy too.

So just buy metal pegs once I get the money basically okay. I'm going to be grinding as a beginner so I will probably only hit rails and barely any cement or bricks so I think plastics will hold up to it for a few.

|

Gone Fishing

8/15/2018 3:33 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

So just buy metal pegs once I get the money basically okay. I'm going to be grinding as a beginner so I will probably only hit rails and barely any cement or bricks so I think plastics will hold up to it for a few.

You are going to start learning to grind on rails? You got balls! Lol

|

8/15/2018 3:38 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I don't get why everyone reacts that way; sure, it's a little scarier but it's a hell of a lot easier to lock in.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/15/2018 3:41 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I never said hand rails or wtv.. I'll start on flat rails and yea I'll give hand rails a shot also so

|

Gone Fishing

8/15/2018 4:52 PM

Rails have a lot more going on than a solid ledge. You can fall both ways, your pegs can get caught on the underside of the rail or you can acidentally run into one of the vertical support posts. Not to mention they slide so much faster.

Either way, Im not giving anyone shit so I hope you are not taking it that way, just suprised me to hear that.

|

8/16/2018 2:04 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I don't get why everyone reacts that way; sure, it's a little scarier but it's a hell of a lot easier to lock in.

Yeah I learnt on rails, sliding faster helps balance me I think.

|

Hmmm

8/16/2018 5:34 AM

I love rails smile

|