Why BMX Doesn't Get Any Respect In Media Spotlight

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2013 4:12 PM

Basketballs players bone pops out of his leg and its the biggest deal in history. Brett crashes and has to relearn everything and gets nothing. Stephen Murray crashes and becomes paralyzed and gets nothing. I'm not saying I dont have respect for the basketball player because that shit would hurt like hell. But I guess its all about which sport is more popular and should only be cared about on news, instead of the people who lives are affected from their injury.

|

Smitten In The Mitten

My Whip:

2013 Sunday Funday Aaron Ross Pro "

Ride For:

42North, Run Jelly Pandas, Michigan Local

4/1/2013 4:14 PM

Been like this since day one

|

Startin a new team of BMX lesbians called Bikes N Dykes

4/1/2013 4:24 PM

Money.

/thread

|

4/1/2013 5:05 PM

Is also basketball, a sport where injuries usually involve at worst an ankle sprain. Bmx is an extreme sport, something the public views as daredevil and risk taking, injuries are more common and even then only really other riders really see. When viewed by three public they see it as we brought it on ourselves

|

4/1/2013 5:10 PM

I think its because were not as big as a sport yet but idk i like how shadow480 put it

|

Save a tree

Ride a Bike...... I am an environmentalist jk hahaha

BIKE CHECK: http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/WallmartBMX,103987/setup,83842

WATCH MY NEW EDIT IM SO PROUD OF IT!!

4/1/2013 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 5:26 PM

shadow480 wrote:

Is also basketball, a sport where injuries usually involve at worst an ankle sprain. Bmx is an extreme sport, something the public views as daredevil and risk taking, injuries are more common and even then only really other riders really see. When viewed by three public they see it as we brought it on ourselves

as much as i hate to say it, hes exactly right. thats how they view it. we mangle our skull and the media dont care, but a ball player so much as scuffs his shoe and its national headlines. bullshit, plain and simple

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

4/1/2013 8:44 PM

You mind if i post this on instagram?

|

Refs:
ac~handley -les.cheek - the_bmxist -Skids007(x4) - Roqfan - jared42069 - Bmxnick2511

4/1/2013 9:37 PM

kevin burnett wrote:

go ahead. As long as you follow me aha. BreakThruAlec

|

Smitten In The Mitten

My Whip:

2013 Sunday Funday Aaron Ross Pro "

Ride For:

42North, Run Jelly Pandas, Michigan Local

4/1/2013 10:19 PM

kevin burnett wrote:

BreakThruAlec wrote:

go ahead. As long as you follow me aha. BreakThruAlec

Followed lol follow me back kevinbmx77

|

Refs:
ac~handley -les.cheek - the_bmxist -Skids007(x4) - Roqfan - jared42069 - Bmxnick2511

4/1/2013 10:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2013 10:58 PM

People Like Mike Aitken, Stephen Murray, Brett Banasiewicz are legends in my eyes.... These guys do what they love and correct me if I'm wrong but all of these guys have stayed with bmx even after their accidents those are one of the biggest hearts you'll ever find in this world.... That right there is passion. I have no remorse that Bmx is a low key sport it's beautiful that way and I believe it needs to stay that way. You see the main difference between Bmx and "traditional sports" relies on the people. In Bmx you'll meet great people and some people are assholes but generally the people who ride Bmx are chill people.... people with hearts and passion for what they do. Mike Aitken, Stephen Murray, and Bretty Banasiewicz will be remembered for as long as the sport stays "under ground". I mean sure Kobe Bryant gets hurt and it's all over the news but then people forget about it Kobe Bryant and all those other players are short lived fables of fame and glory. In the next 10 years no one is going to give a shit about who Koby Bryant is or who Kim kardashian is or was that's the price to pay for things that are "main stream" the glory is minimal.

People like Mat Hoffman are the pioneers of Big Air and they set the bar even higher. Tony Alva, Rodney Mullen, Christian Hosoi, Jay Adams (yes I know these guys are skaters). Skating has been around way more than Bmx has and In my opinion Bmxers and Skaters should get along. Fuck this no Bikes allowed in the skate park crap if any of you get the opportunity to ever build a park.... make it for bikes and skateboards... I lost most of my respect for Rob Dyrdek ever since he made his "skate safe spots" only for skaters decisions like that further rend both the sports of Bmx and Skating. Instead of showing love Rob Dyrdek went and made an asshole of himself by banning bikes from his skate safe spots. Doesn't really matter what I think of Rob Dyrdek cause he made something out of himself he can wake up tomorrow and say fuck it i'm going to Japan for 1 month. That's on him that was his decision to ban bikes from his skate safe spots so whatever =P

Be Different... Ain't nothing wrong with being yourself wake the fuck up >.>

|

4/2/2013 2:43 AM

The dude needs to drink some damn milk.
Photo

|

4/2/2013 3:42 AM

Fuck that's disgusting ^^^^

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/2/2013 4:14 AM

Aav1996 wrote:

People Like Mike Aitken, Stephen Murray, Brett Banasiewicz are legends in my eyes.... These guys do what they love and correct me if I'm wrong but all of these guys have stayed with bmx even after their accidents those are one of the biggest hearts you'll ever find in this world.... That right there is passion. I have no remorse that Bmx is a low key sport it's beautiful that way and I believe it needs to stay that way. You see the main difference between Bmx and "traditional sports" relies on the people. In Bmx you'll meet great people and some people are assholes but generally the people who ride Bmx are chill people.... people with hearts and passion for what they do. Mike Aitken, Stephen Murray, and Bretty Banasiewicz will be remembered for as long as the sport stays "under ground". I mean sure Kobe Bryant gets hurt and it's all over the news but then people forget about it Kobe Bryant and all those other players are short lived fables of fame and glory. In the next 10 years no one is going to give a shit about who Koby Bryant is or who Kim kardashian is or was that's the price to pay for things that are "main stream" the glory is minimal.

People like Mat Hoffman are the pioneers of Big Air and they set the bar even higher. Tony Alva, Rodney Mullen, Christian Hosoi, Jay Adams (yes I know these guys are skaters). Skating has been around way more than Bmx has and In my opinion Bmxers and Skaters should get along. Fuck this no Bikes allowed in the skate park crap if any of you get the opportunity to ever build a park.... make it for bikes and skateboards... I lost most of my respect for Rob Dyrdek ever since he made his "skate safe spots" only for skaters decisions like that further rend both the sports of Bmx and Skating. Instead of showing love Rob Dyrdek went and made an asshole of himself by banning bikes from his skate safe spots. Doesn't really matter what I think of Rob Dyrdek cause he made something out of himself he can wake up tomorrow and say fuck it i'm going to Japan for 1 month. That's on him that was his decision to ban bikes from his skate safe spots so whatever =P

Be Different... Ain't nothing wrong with being yourself wake the fuck up >.>

THIS i couldn't have put it any better myself
its a shame really that the pioneers aren't as known to general public than general douchebags of sport.
if i went into my local town and said who is Matt Hoffman, only about 10 people will know. But if i then asked who is Wayne Roony everyone will know, and Roony is a shit player imo. its just sad that unless you are into bmx the people of it mean jack shit to you

|

Bruh

4/2/2013 5:46 AM

Fuck the mainstream media bullshit.
That's the way it's been forever and that's how it'll always be.
We ride to have fun though, not to be recognized as heroes in the world or to get paid six figure checks.

|

If you're riding your bike to solely become sponsored one day, you're riding for all the wrong reasons.
As cliche as this is, having fun is the point!

4/2/2013 11:14 PM

BMX isn't a sport ; it's freestyle. That's why. People like seeing rules,fouls,and limitations to games. Billions of dollars are spent on people tossing balls and hitting birdies. BMX isn't a sport ; it's more of a community. We don't go train for the next game, we just have fun on our bikes and push ourselves at the same time. As long as we don't let the media influence us too much it'll stay that way. I kind of like where BMX is at. I wouldn't want media spoiling what we have and trying to modify our sport.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/2/2013 11:21 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

BMX isn't a sport ; it's freestyle. That's why. People like seeing rules,fouls,and limitations to games. Billions of dollars are spent on people tossing balls and hitting birdies. BMX isn't a sport ; it's more of a community. We don't go train for the next game, we just have fun on our bikes and push ourselves at the same time. As long as we don't let the media influence us too much it'll stay that way. I kind of like where BMX is at. I wouldn't want media spoiling what we have and trying to modify our sport.

This.... I wouldn't want no your 180s have to be spinned to the right and your roll backs have to be 2 feet before you fakie.... The fuck is that shit =P Bmx is great actually.... it's tough and challenging I don't give a shit how many people say they could learn to 180 in an hour that's bullshit It's taken me months to properly 180 O_o Or wallrides good shit man real good shit =)

|

4/2/2013 11:25 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

This.... I wouldn't want no your 180s have to be spinned to the right and your roll backs have to be 2 feet before you fakie.... The fuck is that shit =P Bmx is great actually.... it's tough and challenging I don't give a shit how many people say they could learn to 180 in an hour that's bullshit It's taken me months to properly 180 O_o Or wallrides good shit man real good shit =)

oh god just imagine if bmx had legit rules like that.

"AND AN EXCELLENT RUN BY VAN HOMAN, OHH BUT I'M AFRAID WE'RE GONNA DOCK HIM 20 POINTS CAUSE THAT WHIP DOWN A 20 FOOT GAP DOWN AND OVER A 15 STAIR WAS A GOOFY FOOTED WHIP! SHAME."

|

4/2/2013 11:26 PM

people like to watch people play with balls more than ride bikes

|

vital's redneck

4/3/2013 7:46 AM

i think its mainly because injury is associated with the sport, and its no where near as popular as basketball and stuff

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/3/2013 10:41 AM

Heres the deal, a basketball player gets jacked up and there goes his multi million dollar career. BMX has not nearly enough money in it for people to care.

|