Why Is There So Much Hate Against Titanium?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2013 6:57 PM

I admit, I like titanium. But seriously, why is there so much hate against titanium. It's like, if somebody asks if titanium stem bolts are strong, everybody would hate for no reason.

|

12/23/2013 7:04 PM

Because they're for people who care about saving maybe an oz on a bolt even tho the ti bolt won't last as long as a regular one because it strips faster and it's costs a lot more so you'd be stupid to spend your money on it unless you want you bike to be 18 pounds and weigh like basically nothing.. But that bike will be weaker and would cost more..

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/23/2013 7:05 PM

less strength
like 2 gram difference in weight
expensive as fuck
seize like a motherfucker

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/23/2013 7:21 PM

As Sean Burns said in the Bonedeth 48s video about weight, take the fucking change out of your pocket and throw it out because that's probably all it will save you.

A G-Sport Ratchet axle though or spindle would actually same SOME weight, but still not enough to drastically change the feel.

I rode Titanium pegs, only Ti part I would ride personally. and they sparked!

|

12/23/2013 7:36 PM

Like everyone says, they're mainly for weight weenies and park rats and that sort. Plus, if you're a hard rider, later on, the titanium just snaps under so much stress, it doesn't bend over time like every other metal out there. And yes, some people I know have had titanium parts seize, and without grease, you're pretty much done for when something gets stuck.. And yes, I want titanium pegs for the sparks as well, but I grind hard so they would probably dent real easily.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/23/2013 7:56 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Like everyone says, they're mainly for weight weenies and park rats and that sort. Plus, if you're a hard rider, later on, the titanium just snaps under so much stress, it doesn't bend over time like every other metal out there. And yes, some people I know have had titanium parts seize, and without grease, you're pretty much done for when something gets stuck.. And yes, I want titanium pegs for the sparks as well, but I grind hard so they would probably dent real easily.

They don't dent, mine didn't anyway. definitely wear down faster than steel though.

|

12/23/2013 8:23 PM

I think ti is pretty rad, but it's not cool to have a light bike and it is cool to have a heavy bike so people make fun of you if your bike is light.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/23/2013 8:25 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I think ti is pretty rad, but it's not cool to have a light bike and it is cool to have a heavy bike so people make fun of you if your bike is light.

Yep.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

12/23/2013 8:35 PM

I don't hate on Ti but it just seems like a waste of money to me, especially on small things like bolts that you don't even feel. If you really wanted to feel a difference your money would be better spent on folding tires.

|

12/23/2013 8:44 PM

Fad3r wrote:

I don't hate on Ti but it just seems like a waste of money to me, especially on small things like bolts that you don't even feel. If you really wanted to feel a difference your money would be better spent on folding tires.

This.

Folding tires would make a great difference especially due to rotational weight. Personally I think ti bolts/spokes are dumb, but I'm not gonna be like "hey that's fucking gay" if I see someone, I might think "Lol weight weenie" but I won't knock on them for having ti bolts, it's their money they're wasting

|

12/23/2013 9:39 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Because they're for people who care about saving maybe an oz on a bolt even tho the ti bolt won't last as long as a regular one because it strips faster and it's costs a lot more so you'd be stupid to spend your money on it unless you want you bike to be 18 pounds and weigh like basically nothing.. But that bike will be weaker and would cost more..

Have you ever had titanium bolts?
Or do you not know how to use Allen wrenches

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/23/2013 9:46 PM

I want to see what would happed if you got a nice amount of ti bolts, demolition momentum tires, and just small weight saving stuff like carbon seat post and just light but strong parts. It would all add up and be a pretty light bike. But I hate the feeling of a really light bike.

|

12/23/2013 9:48 PM

I would ride ti stem bolts and seat clamp bolt

I would also use the itanium washers if they existed just because titanium seizes and I don't like it when my wheels shift anyways, and I would ride ti hub guards because they would slide nice

I have ti bar ends heavier than most aluminum ones call me a weight weenie

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

12/23/2013 9:49 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I want to see what would happed if you got a nice amount of ti bolts, demolition momentum tires, and just small weight saving stuff like carbon seat post and just light but strong parts. It would all add up and be a pretty light bike. But I hate the feeling of a really light bike.

Those tires are horrible

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/23/2013 9:52 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Those tires are horrible

I beg to differ.

|

12/23/2013 10:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 10:04 PM

It's pointless. Alright I guess for small hardware, but still pointless because hardware doesn't weigh much in the first place. Thick ti spindles have potential though. Maybe not for 48 spline, more for Hollowbite or Noctis type spindles. Alloy cranks weigh a bit more than chromo cranks, but a simple ti spindle can save around 3-5 ounces. Not bad if you REALLY want to shed some weight.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

12/23/2013 10:05 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

he wouldnt need to have
its basic material science charles, titanium is much more ductile(soft, stretchy) than steel
therefore, it would be easier to strip
/thread

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/23/2013 10:10 PM

http://biowheels.com/the-truth-about-titanium/
read up bitches
softer than steel, expensive, poor wear properties, prone to cracking on small radius surfaces (bolts)

|

12/23/2013 10:11 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

he wouldnt need to have
its basic material science charles, titanium is much more ductile(soft, stretchy) than steel
/thread

If you use the correct size Allen key it will never strip out commonsense logic

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/23/2013 10:13 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Those tires are horrible

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

This kid I ride with got some and literally got 10 flats in a week

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/23/2013 10:15 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

he wouldnt need to have
/thread

If you use the correct size Allen key it will never strip out commonsense logic

so what you are saying is, no matter the material, it will never strip out?
what about tin, or cheese?
you, have not seen the amount of stripped ti parts i have, both at the park and the bike shop
the ductility would cause the slight imperfect fit of an allen key to push more on one edge, and twisting/wearing it to the point of strippage
the more you use a bolt, regardless of allen key fit, will wear, and increase the chance it will strip

|

12/23/2013 10:15 PM

Those tires are horrible

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

doesnt mean its a bad tire...

|

12/23/2013 11:25 PM

Those tires are horrible

Allan wrench? I oly kow Allen key? O me god.. But serious tho.. Allen keys sometimes will slip and strip things.. I'm not saying one time and your bolts done but once in a while mistakes happen.. Also alen wrunch wat oz ut

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/23/2013 11:49 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

bmxsteve99 wrote:

doesnt mean its a bad tire...

Obviously the wrong Allen key/ Allen wrench was used to cause it to strip, kids shouldre ally learn how to use tools correctly

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/23/2013 11:49 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

http://biowheels.com/the-truth-about-titanium/
read up bitches
softer than steel, expensive, poor wear properties, prone to cracking on small radius surfaces (bolts)

I didn't read that so I don't know if it even says what you said but I know from what I have been taught and many over sources (Do more research) that Titanium is considerably harder wearing and harder than Chromoly. The cracking thing is however very true due to the fact that is very brittle.

|

12/23/2013 11:55 PM

Those tires are horrible

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

I rode them and got only 4 flats in the six months I had them. Your friend is doing something wrong. He should feel the inside of thr tire, he probably still has the thorn on the inside, causing it to pop ten times.

|

12/24/2013 12:03 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Those tires are horrible

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Allan wrench? I oly kow Allen key? O me god.. But serious tho.. Allen keys sometimes will slip and strip things.. I'm not saying one time and your bolts done but once in a while mistakes happen.. Also alen wrunch wat oz ut

5mm Allen in 6mm bolt =s striped

Or if you use standard in metric that also causes stripping

Money + Female =s stripping

It's all commonsense

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/24/2013 12:04 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

biggybuggy wrote:

I rode them and got only 4 flats in the six months I had them. Your friend is doing something wrong. He should feel the inside of thr tire, he probably still has the thorn on the inside, causing it to pop ten times.

It's called riding outside

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

12/24/2013 12:25 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

I beg to differ.

biggybuggy wrote:

Everyone I know that has had them says they got way too many flats.

|

12/24/2013 5:10 AM

My demos were fine for the first 3 months buts after that they pretty much sucked and lost all grip, I wouldn't recommend them in the wet...bad times.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12