Why Should I get clear brake pads?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2013 7:41 AM

I have alot of people telling me that the clear ones don't strip the colour off the back rim, is this true? if so, can someone tell me the best brand of pads that come in clear

|

12/24/2013 7:47 AM

I run Odyssey clears. Had them on red Ano rims for over a year and no streaks or wear.

They squeak a bit.

I love my setup though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/24/2013 7:49 AM

thanks man, are they Odyssey Slim by four Brakes

|

12/24/2013 7:58 AM

It really depends on what rim and how you use them. If
you have anodized rims and only pull the trigger on tricks, then you should be good. If you have painted/powdercoated rims, then the paint will strip off much easier, especially if you use your brakes frequently. I run clears on a powdercoated rim and use them to actually stop when im out cruising, and my sidewalls went raw after a 2-3months. But yes, clears will save the paint longer. However, if youre worried about having a raw sidewall, then just dont run brakes. Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/24/2013 8:01 AM

I run clears first on an anodized rim and then on a painted. The anodized one lasted about a month before being raw, the painted one i haven't been able to ride as much so it's doing better.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/24/2013 8:02 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It really depends on what rim and how you use them. If
you have anodized rims and only pull the trigger on tricks, then you should be good. If you have painted/powdercoated rims, then the paint will strip off much easier, especially if you use your brakes frequently. I run clears on a powdercoated rim and use them to actually stop when im out cruising, and my sidewalls went raw after a 2-3months. But yes, clears will save the paint longer. However, if youre worried about having a raw sidewall, then just dont run brakes. Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

well im gonna be buying a 200$ rim and id like for it to stay looking nice for as long as possible, btw it is anodized

|

12/24/2013 8:05 AM

clear pads also make you stop MUCH faster
i would recommend getting a pair of both so you can see which one you like more
if the rim you get is an odyssey 7ka, they are hard anodized and much harder to wear down

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/24/2013 9:04 AM

If you're running a chrome rim, do NOT get clear pads. It will have so much stopping power it can rip the pad rubber from the base.

Basically...

Chrome rim = red or black pads
Anything else = Clear

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/24/2013 9:46 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I run clears first on an anodized rim and then on a painted. The anodized one lasted about a month before being raw, the painted one i haven't been able to ride as much so it's doing better.

Yours must have rubbed or gotten dirt in them. Mine are over a year old without any noticable marks.

That or you were on your brakes more than anyone ever haha.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/24/2013 10:42 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

If you're running a chrome rim, do NOT get clear pads. It will have so much stopping power it can rip the pad rubber from the base.

Basically...

Chrome rim = red or black pads
Anything else = Clear

forgot about that
also id try the odyssey ghost pads
a ton less finnicking to get proper toe in

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/24/2013 10:44 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

forgot about that
also id try the odyssey ghost pads
a ton less finnicking to get proper toe in

I hated my Ghost pads. Easy to install, but they were loud as hell and had almost no stopping power. Ran the clear ones on a Rollcage.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/24/2013 10:56 AM

RedLenz© wrote:

well im gonna be buying a 200$ rim and id like for it to stay looking nice for as long as possible, btw it is anodized

Y don't make 200$ rims.... The best out are the G sport roll cage I think or the odyssey 7ka idk why you would get 200$ rims unless you race

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/24/2013 10:59 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Y don't make 200$ rims.... The best out are the G sport roll cage I think or the odyssey 7ka idk why you would get 200$ rims unless you race

its not going to be an actual 200$ rim i was just using 200 as an example lol

|