Why did you go brake-less?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/1/2012 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2012 11:39 AM

This isn't a thread to convince me to go brake-less or not. I already am break-less and i love it. I just want to know why you guys went brake-less or why you kept your brakes.

Personally, i was putting on new bars and my cable was frayed and the caliper got fucked up when the tension was released so i didn't bother fixing them. Plus, i have painted orange rims which i don't want to scratch up.

|

9/1/2012 11:50 AM

Never really looked after my brakes, learnt how to install then properly after id gone brakeless. My old man used to do the brakes for me. I never really felt the need for them dont use them for any tricks. I know this is pretty sad but i also prefer the look of brakeless bikes, especially when the frame has no mounts at all.

|

9/1/2012 11:56 AM

Went brakeless for about two months to learn airs and flow better just because I would always pull my brakes at the bottom of the ramp after that I put them back on just because I dont want to run into anybody and its just more comfortable to me and I love the way a bike looks brakeless and especially with a gyro

|

9/1/2012 11:57 AM

I hated the pinging noise the cable made when it hit my frame.

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

9/1/2012 11:59 AM

i used to build up different project bikes and never had enough brake parts so it turned into a habit to be brakeless and ill never put brakes on a 20" again.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

9/1/2012 12:08 PM

I would always pussy out when I was riding bowl or park so I took them off, Also I liked the look of them off. Plus I feel like im one with the bike(:

|

Follow me on Instagram! @marlozorman

9/1/2012 12:08 PM

Because
1) can't afford them
2) STREEEEETTT
3) I do flowy park with the occasional flyout whip air or bar flyout smile

|

9/1/2012 12:23 PM

They weren't really necessary for me. I ride around this closed down school most of the time so theres no traffic or cars to worry about. If im going to be in a busy area or i just feel like switching it up i throw them back on. I really like the simple and clean look of a brakeless bike. I dont consider myself a brakes or brakeless rider, its all just about whatever im feeling at the time.

|

9/1/2012 12:41 PM

My frame doesn't have brake mounts aha

|

Instagram= suckmydeeeck
Tumblr= http://benkingyo.tumblr.com/

9/1/2012 12:51 PM

I've got a back brake only until I learn proper control of the bike in parks on verts etc. After that it'll probably come off unless I can find a machine shop that will drill and tap gyro holes on my frame.

|

9/1/2012 12:55 PM

my breaks broke, and i don't pussy out as much as before.

|

9/1/2012 12:56 PM

Man all you guys need to grow some balls and ride front breaks. talk bout bike control, i have the ability to stop quickly but it can also send me OTB. makes you think way more about pulling your brakes if you dont have too.

|

9/1/2012 12:58 PM

Soon after I learned really little bunny hops when I was just beginning I thought taking them off would help me hop super high. Obviously it didn't make much of a difference looking back, but I liked how it felt and to take off my cable I just took some wire cutters to it (I was a noob) so I didn't really have an option to put them back on. Also I think brakeless bikes just look clean and in their own way badass. Now I'm glad I don't have them for purposes of barspins and just comfort when riding.

|

Refs: element4all, kroller

9/1/2012 2:36 PM

Topsey wrote:

Never really looked after my brakes, learnt how to install then properly after id gone brakeless. My old man used to do the brakes for me. I never really felt the need for them dont use them for any tricks. I know this is pretty sad but i also prefer the look of brakeless bikes, especially when the frame has no mounts at all.

This, exactly this!

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

9/1/2012 2:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2012 2:42 PM

Well i've never liked the look of them. I always thought a bike looked way better without brakes and no mounts. It was more to keep up with, to break, to adjust, and more weight. I'm no weight weenie at all, I actually prefer my parts a little more heavier so I know its quality. My friend picked up a used custom complete(only have 1 part left from it...) about a year ago and it had no brakes and mounts. So I said fuck it and never ever rode breaks and my control is great. Oh, and I fucking HATED it ripping the paint off the rim. It made it look like complete shit.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

9/1/2012 2:45 PM

yeah. i like having my bike maintenance free. tightening the chain is bad enough. adjusting brakes is annoying and not worth it at all

|

9/1/2012 2:56 PM

It feels comfortable for me. Plus, I've got lots of shoes. smile I only use my shoes and skid them on the ground a bit to slow or turn a hard corner while keeping stability. I got used to it in like a day.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/1/2012 3:00 PM

I always pussied out when going for things. I would slam the brakes . Plus you have got to admit, it looks so clean without brakes. And I really hate to admit this but... I used to care about my bike weight and I felt if I took the brakes off my bike would be lighter.

|

" When life gives you lemons, take out your dick and swing it around your head like a cowboy "

- BmxKitten

9/1/2012 3:16 PM

it looks way cleaner brake-less. And i care about the weight of my bike. its a nice luxury. but i care about the paint on my rims even more haha

|

9/1/2012 3:27 PM

got a new frame and i didn't know how to put them back on... lol

|

xBMXx.

9/1/2012 4:07 PM

cable snapped & I didn't feel like buying a new one so I said fuck it haha

|

9/1/2012 6:57 PM

Break lever snapped, never bothered replacing it. Here's my bike when I used to run a gyro:
Photo

|

9/1/2012 7:03 PM

I was stupid and took them off, and now I lost the lever and cable so I cannot put it back on sad

|

9/1/2012 7:13 PM

Broke, bought new parts. Never went back on.

|

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.
Brokenbmx: i pooped butterflies once.

Bought from: Ridebmx456 TCbmx(x2) Wade., Ticaleb
Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere
Local deal for a rear wheel with: bmx

9/1/2012 7:21 PM

got my bike used from someone who used it maybe twice at max and they took the brakes and the mounts off so i never bothered buying mounts or brakes.

|

9/1/2012 7:22 PM

And I don't k now how to install them tongue

|

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.

Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere

9/1/2012 7:33 PM

Fucked up on my walmart bike when I was like 13 and didn't know how to fix them. When I built up my first custom I bought a set of brakes and learned how to install them, just keep them off for the most part. Pretty much only on when I'm riding trails

|

BIKE CHECK

living the life of a honey badger.
Refs: thebalt, kurtnut, scramhype

9/1/2012 7:35 PM

BmxRida4lyfe wrote:

And I don't k now how to install them tongue

I DONT GET HOW TO TENSION

|

Lol. Xzibit plz

9/1/2012 9:28 PM

With one of my last builds I just didn't have enough money for brakes. This helped me do street stuff slower (with better bike control) so I wouldn't fly out into the street etc. In my last build I put them back on and I've been riding them ever since. It's a preference thing I guess.

|

9/1/2012 9:42 PM

Broke my brakes, dont have the money to replace them. Been riding brakeless ever since.

|