Expensive hi-ten bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2018 6:39 PM

Have you noticed how companies over price bikes and the bikes have hi-ten frame, forks, bars? You can get bikes for the same price or less that are so much better.
Full hi-ten: https://harobikes.com/collections/bmx/products/boulevard-2019 $409.99
Full chromoly: https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Boys-Legion-Bicycle-Burgundy/dp/B07GNDF1HH?th=1 $319.99
Thats 90 dollars more for less!
You can get a bike that has similar specs as the Haro boulevard for $211.40, which is almost a 200 dollar difference!
https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Legion-Freestyle-Bike-Blue/dp/B07GN4GN8K/

|

12/13/2018 7:04 PM

Yes.. This has been established many many times.

The company that sells millions of bikes to super-stores all across the globe every year obviously has cheaper prices than the core BMX brands that choose to stick to their roots.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/13/2018 8:49 PM

You guys are obsessed with high tensile steel. Most cheap bikes (yes a $400 complete is cheap) are sold to kids who just want a cool bike. Any complete (even the $1000 Sunday) have compromises.

|

12/14/2018 11:37 AM

JPC wrote:

You guys are obsessed with high tensile steel. Most cheap bikes (yes a $400 complete is cheap) are sold to kids who just want a cool bike. Any complete (even the $1000 Sunday) have compromises.

Hi-Tensile bikes eat puppies.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/14/2018 12:26 PM

JPC wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Hi-Tensile bikes eat puppies.

I second this.

|

12/14/2018 12:36 PM

Don't forget there's varying quality, with both hi ten and chromoly. A cheap poorly made chromoly frame is probably worse than a better quality hi ten frame.
But we're not metallurgists that are doing extensive research into what really is better. We'll simply never know if a cheap full chromoly complete is actually any better than a more expensive hi ten complete. It's easy to assume it is. But the top end of trimoly framed completes really aren't bad at all

|

12/14/2018 12:41 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't forget there's varying quality, with both hi ten and chromoly. A cheap poorly made chromoly frame is probably worse than a better quality hi ten frame.
But we're not metallurgists that are doing extensive research into what really is better. We'll simply never know if a cheap full chromoly complete is actually any better than a more expensive hi ten complete. It's easy to assume it is. But the top end of trimoly framed completes really aren't bad at all

Trimoly? Meaning half Chromoly / half Hi-Ten?

If so, I'd go as far as to say those are even worse. It saves a bit of weight compared to a full Hi-Ten frame, but the Chromoly-on-Hi-Ten welds are a significant weak point.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/14/2018 12:57 PM

HiTen isn’t as bad as everyone makes out, I was running a WTP Justice frame from 2012 for a while that had chromo DT & CS and the rest was HiTen. I beat the shit out of that frame and it’s still intact today. I keep it as a back up and would use it again if I had to.

|

Ride everything

12/14/2018 1:04 PM

JPC wrote:

This thing is 490. Look at the specs, it's not meant for kids who want a cool looking bike.
https://easternbikes.com/collections/2019-bmx/products/thunderbird-v2-2019

|

12/14/2018 1:12 PM

Jibby wrote:

HiTen isn’t as bad as everyone makes out, I was running a WTP Justice frame from 2012 for a while that had chromo DT & CS and the rest was HiTen. I beat the shit out of that frame and it’s still intact today. I keep it as a back up and would use it again if I had to.

probably used thicker tubing than the average hi-ten bike. Is this frame heavy?

|

12/14/2018 1:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 1:20 PM

Jibby wrote:

Orlando F wrote:

Never weighed it tbh, but it wasn’t that bad for a stock frame to be fair

|

Ride everything

12/14/2018 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 1:37 PM

Jibby wrote:

Orlando F wrote:

Jibby wrote:

Never weighed it tbh, but it wasn’t that bad for a stock frame to be fair

oh, I have a full hi-ten bike that I got for 40 dollars. It's super heavy bit it has good parts though. It's 2005 so I guess most bikes were heavy at that time. It's my back up bike \I don't actually ride hi-ten

|

12/14/2018 1:36 PM

|

12/14/2018 1:41 PM

^That was an accident

|

12/14/2018 1:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 2:07 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If so, I'd go as far as to say those are even worse. It saves a bit of weight compared to a full Hi-Ten frame, but the Chromoly-on-Hi-Ten welds are a significant weak point.

Not necessarily true at all. When welding a 4130 roll cage for race cars, a 4130 filler rod should never be used. Some even use stainless filler rod. 4130 rod is mostly used when something is post weld heat treated, like some BMX frames. Welding different alloys is not always weak.

|

12/14/2018 2:01 PM

Get titanium ya pussies !

|

12/14/2018 2:23 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Get titanium ya pussies !

So it will be lighter, and weaker? How would that make anyone a pussy?

|

12/14/2018 2:24 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not really.
But my point is a well manufactured frame will be better than a poorly manufactured frame

|