Why do my chains do this?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2013 7:47 PM

The last 2 chains I've had do this.. After so long, the pins get loose and can be moved back & forth by hand and in some cases, I can actually push the pin with my finger in and pull a link off.

I have the Odyssey Bluebird chain right now but my Shadow v2 chain did the same thing. I had the Shadow for about 5 or 6 months before it started doing that, and the Odyssey for almost a year now. so idk why it's doing that.

I've considered buying a new chain too, really wanna get the KMC K710 Kool chain but I don't really like how it only comes in silver haha. but not a huge issue. I just know this chain was the best one I ever had until I put a half link in it and my chain exploded a few weeks later and I wanted to try the Shadow half link chain. I think I still have it laying around somewhere too idk

|

11/10/2013 7:59 PM

Your sprocket might be to big for your chain, for example, your sprocket is 1/8 and the chain is 1/32... the sprocket will always spread the chain apart

|

11/10/2013 8:12 PM

RedLenz© wrote:

Your sprocket might be to big for your chain, for example, your sprocket is 1/8 and the chain is 1/32... the sprocket will ...more

Chain is 1/8" & sprocket teeth are 1/8" as well (Animal V3)

I'm just confused cause this never happened to my Kool chain 2 years ago when I used to ride it, those things lasted me forever & luckily I still have it so I hope it holes up and doesn't do the pin thing haha

|

11/10/2013 8:14 PM

Just stretching the links a lot in the pin area m8. I have the same problem. KMC 410H (Heavy duty) has lasted me ages however, and it hasn't been a problem for me any more. Love this. Lasted 3x aslong as my interlock and 710 (kool) and haven't broke any link or had any of them stretch out like my other chains would.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/10/2013 8:15 PM

Running your chain stupidly tight?
Poor chain line?
Worn driver/sprocket?

The shadows are renouned for being bad for this and other problems.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

11/10/2013 8:27 PM

Gump wrote:

Running your chain stupidly tight?
Poor chain line?
Worn driver/sprocket?

The shadows are renouned for being bad for this ...more

If anything I run it loose at times for crankflips haha. Not so loose that it hits the chainstays, but still loose. Chain alignment is good, and the teeth on my sprocket/driver are fine. Here's a pic of my Kool chain on it, alignment's good
Photo

|

11/10/2013 8:29 PM

Ehh doesn't look bad, but I'd still prefer black haha. I'm surprised I still had this chain, and more surprised it still fits.

Photo

|

11/10/2013 8:31 PM

When I kept doing that to half links, the first thing I checked was the alignment of my sprocket and driver with a straight edge scale I have. If that's good, make sure your sprocket is running true. If it is, then sometimes, the hardest part is just recognizing that you're a beast and need a manly chain. That is, unless you like that sudden speed your leading leg gets when the chain separates, haha. I know KMC has a thick ass plate standard type chain. It may be the one Tim is talking about, but idk for sure.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/10/2013 8:33 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just stretching the links a lot in the pin area m8. I have the same problem. KMC 410H (Heavy duty) has lasted me ages however, ...more

I had that chain, forget why I got rid of it. Think it just got really really dirty and I bought a new one cause there's a random chain with fatter links in my garage that's dirty as fuck haha.

I just threw on my old Kool chain a few minutes ago, that thing lasted me about a year & a half and could have lasted more but I snapped the master link/half link I put in, and wanted to try the Shadow chain out.. dumbest decision ever, I broke that chain 4522352 times & that's when my pin pushing out problem began.

|

11/10/2013 8:38 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

When I kept doing that to half links, the first thing I checked was the alignment of my sprocket and driver with a straight ...more

yeah the 410 heavy duty chain is a beefy ass chain! I'll look for it in my garage tomorrow and clean it, maybe someone in my town who needs a chain can have it.

but yeah I'm pretty sure all that's good, my sprocket's straight.. Might be cause of tailwhips, cause I really slam down on my pedal sometimes.. Snapped the half link in my chain before doing that. I guess that makes sense cause the pressure would pull against the links and stretch out the holes overtime.

|

11/11/2013 12:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2013 12:37 AM

Shadow chains are for idiots. People eat that shit up still so what does that say about everyone.shocked

|

11/11/2013 1:02 AM

How often do you break your chain? pins are all slightly mushroom shaped and every time you break your chain it wears the pin down when you push it back in. I try to break my chain as few times as possible for this reason, and if you look at your chain next time you put it back together you might notice the metal shavings of the pins I'm talking about (unless its already worn out)

|

11/11/2013 1:23 AM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

How often do you break your chain? pins are all slightly mushroom shaped and every time you break your chain it wears the pin ...more

I broke my shadow chain one time to shorten it to put it on, and it snapped several times.

Broke my Odyssey one once to shorten it, twice to remove the half link I snapped, a third at the skate park last month when I snapped a link due to a pin pushing out and twice just this past week replacing links that kept doing it, but now other ones that were never broken are doing it. But yeah I get what you say, I try breaking it the least amount of times possible

|

11/11/2013 1:23 AM

RiverSideRider wrote:

Shadow chains are for idiots. People eat that shit up still so what does that say about everyone.shocked

I only got it because it was Shadow & black, and back then I was a Shadow fan, now I'm not haha

|